Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a bike stolen in '86, then went strickly dirt for many, many years.

I got my first goldwing last year I need some advice from all you experienced owners...what is a good alarm system for a wing?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Hi Dan,

I don't have any personal experience on this other than my son's alarm on his sport bike. I don't remember what model it is, but I'll ask. There was also a thread on this just a day or so ago, so here's a link to that. Ignore Wexy's post though and read Chippy's. ;):dude:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/63857.html

John

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

With a Goldwing you will find that for the most part you don't have to worry about bike theft, but vandalism...thieves breaking into the bike for the goodies in your trunk/saddle bags. If you practice good safety -park the bike in a well lit area, lock the steering, don't leave anything valuable in itand cover it - you shouldn't have any problem.

If, however, you're really concerned about bike theft, I hear they make some really good wheel/brake locks, but I don't use one.Unless someone backs a wrecker up to the bike andhooks onto it, you don't have to worry about someone picking the bikeup and throwing iton a trailor.

That's my thought anyway...

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

the auto audio place down the road from me has these new alarms that you can program to sound a siren or go silent and advise you VIA pager. i like that alot..
Especially when at an event. Can you imagine getting a ring on the pager and walking up tpo your biek and catch someone in the act.Its what i call parking lot justice.

Part of my add ons this year is to tether the side covers by a cable. These always seem to walk off, and Id hate to pay someone for my exact side cover on ebay.
vandalism as said before is number one. I like many hide all my goodies in the truck thinking that they will be fine.This is the first place crooks will look for, radio faces, sat radio, navi systems and a list of other things we take away from plain site and hid 3 feet and 1/8 inch of plastic away from thier hands.

I think I will make a note and keep in on the bike whenever parked that read

" contents of trunk, smelly socks, tooth paste and cheap road tools. Save your time and move on to the next bike, "

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

i too am not a great lover of alarms on motorbikes, the batteries are just too small, they always seem to be going off as well, good mechanical security is always a good alternative

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

On my 1800 Wing, If I really really want to lock it up.....I lock the bag's, the stem lock, park it in reverse and finally put on a Xena Rotor Lock that has it's own built in alarm. But I agree that there is more of a threat of vandalism than theft.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I use a rotor lock, $8. at Walmart. Can't be cut with boltcutters.

The lock bolt is about 3/8 inch long & I tie a bright orange string to it & tie it to the LH grip ... so i don't forget it's on there.

Best is a full cover.

Also, if you're at a motel, you can get one of the alarms that scream 110 Db when you pull the pin-on-a-string. They use 2 AA batteries & can be hidden anywhere on the bike. Cost about $10.

Goldwings just don't get stolen much.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

My father in law has a 78 FLH Harley he bought last year.
he parked in the walmart lot , and went in to get some cigarettes. He came out to find his wires were cut, and the bike moved 3 feet foward of where he parked it.
He has a huge kryptonite chain but he tucks it away as not to be seen.

I think he was silliy. If i were to put a huge chain , I would spray it neon " Bright as Hell Orange" ( thats the name on the can) and put it in clear view.

They definetly tried to take his bike but got detered when they found the chain.
He loves his harley but thos loud pipes are an advertisement.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all the suggestions. Many of you stated that vandalism is more of a concern...I guess that is really more mine also than the stolen bike. That is why I was wondering if anybody had used an alarm with perimeter guarding.

I do like the pin on a string deal. Cover the bike and unless they know it is there and cut the cover, it may just be what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I parked my 05 in front of a hanger at a local fly-in. When people came by and looked at it... I hit the remote horn button on the key fob. The guy's said.." He's also got a proximity alarm on that thing too"! Such fun!

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

I talked with my son about his. His is a Scorpio system with the perimeter sensor & remote ignition disable. It prevented him from having his bike stolen at least once too. The system paged him that his ignition was being messed with and he ran outside and a pickup sped away. The perimeter sensor can be disabled separately too, so a cover won't interfere. He says it's very low current drawtoo and he can leave it on for a week straight and not have any problem starting his bike. He's very happy with it. He's had it for two or three years. On their site I see they have factory harnesses too, so it's plug and play on many bikes. I only see the GL1500 on the list, but they say to call if your bike's not on the list.

John

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hey John,
I came across the scorpio on my internet search. I liked what I read. Wasn't sure on the price though.

Corventure...LMAO...That would be fun to do.

wpgfire...I like the rotor lock idea with the alarm also.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Burrhead wrote:
Hey John,
I came across the scorpio on my internet search. I liked what I read. Wasn't sure on the price though.
Yeah, their pricey, but what isn't for these things. :dude:

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

We use a cable lock with a motion sensor bought at a computer store, It has a beep warning that turns into a siren if continuous motion for something for 20 seconds to avoid accidental bumps. :action::action:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

http://www.armedguard.com/

This is what I bought for mine. They dont have a 1500 listed but I see they have a kit that generally fits most Hondas. I too look to keep the nuisances from bothering the trike when I park it. Especially at night in the hotel parking lots.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.