Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was it me or i read somewhere that practically all the 1500 with failed water pumps according to a research they were using car's coolant??

in few words what i came across was that the car's coolant have an additive inside that helps not to corrode the engine and this one somehow ko's the water pumps in the 1500???

what????? i never hears of any difference between car's coolant and motorcycle ones?? do they??

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Most modern car coolants have an additive of silicate to seal manufacturing defects. Can't answer about 1500 pump failures though.
Just use a silicate free, bottled water and should be good to go.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Most modern car coolants have an additive of silicate to seal manufacturing defects. Can't answer about 1500 pump failures though.
Just use a silicate free, bottled water and should be good to go.
That is use only distilled water.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
The Honda car dealers sell coolant by the gallon and the bike dealers by the quart. It is the same coolant though.
Any coolant willl work fine just as long as it is silicate free, if it contains silicates (like most coolants do) it will eat your water pump.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
The Honda car dealers sell coolant by the gallon and the bike dealers by the quart. It is the same coolant though.
Any coolant willl work fine just as long as it is silicate free, if it contains silicates (like most coolants do) it will eat your water pump.
It's not exactly the same. The auto stuff is blue and it says on the container 'five year'. The bike stuff is green and makes no such claim. Honda's recommendations include anti-freeze change every two years for bikes. So I presume...if you use the car stuff it's good for five? Both are non-silicate formula.

It wasn't that many years ago that Honda decided silicate additives were hard on water pumps. It's not like regular coolant is gonna dissolve your pump seals. I think the benefit is in long term wear.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Wrong...Most modern coolants DO NOT contain silicates. Go to any atuo parts store & read the labels. Silicates were a cheap way, back in the day, to control rust & corrosion inside the cooling system of your granddad's Buick. For the most part they have been replaced with chemicals that do the same thing. Any coolant that says, on the label, that it is silicate & phosphate free is safe to use in your wing....-Rich

http://www.peakauto.com/antifreeze-peak-long_life_5050_prediluted.shtml

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,907 Posts
O'Reilly's Universal Coolant is silicate free and not as costly as the Honda or other coolants.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Here in NH, we have large auto parts chain: Advanced Auto. Went there 3 weeks ago to obtain pre-mixed gallon of Non-silicate AF. Counterman said ALL his AF contained silicate! He had two brands marked: 'Low Silicate' on front label.
Ended up going to Honda auto dealer. They had 50/50 Non-Silicate in gallon jug but one must be careful, as SOME dealers only sell by the quart, which is Way Too Expensive! TTFN.....papasmurf

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
research indicates this -

Dexcool - available at Wal*mart

Information from website -

The following information has been gathered by myself through contacts in the automotive industry and my personal mechanical experience. I have tested the below information thoroughly to be accurate on my own GM and Daimler-Chrysler vehicles. I also have contacted GM and DC service departments to verify this information and they certify it is 100% accurate as of their October 2002 technical publications.

Dex-Cool (ethylene glycol) is identical to the Chrysler & General Motors factory fill. Havoline had the original patent on Dex-Cool and manufactures it for GM. The benefits of Dex-Cool are:
  • Lower alkalinity
  • Contains NO silicates, resulting in longer lasting water pump and engine seals; longer shelf life.
  • It is Nitrite-, borate-, phosphate-, nitrate- and amine-free.
  • 100% biodegradable in its pure unused condition.
  • Longer lasting (Dex-Cool has been shown to remain above 95% of its original concentration after 150,000 miles in automobiles)
For optimum year round protection against freezing, boiling and corrosion, a 50 percent Dex-Cool solution (1 part anti-freeze/1 part water) is recommended. For maximum protection against freezing in extremely cold areas a 60 percent solution (3 parts anti-freeze/2 parts water) can be used. Concentrations greater than 67 percent or less than 50 percent are not recommended.

http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/maint/dexcool/

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
What type of damage occurs from using Silcates?... eg Do the pump seals wear out? ...the pump vanes grind off?

I've never used anything but silicate-free automotive coolant (many different types) and have never had a pump fail.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
What type of damage occurs from using Silcates?... eg Do the pump seals wear out? ...the pump vanes grind off?

I've never used anything but silicate-free automotive coolant (many different types) and have never had a pump fail.
Silicates are hard little granules (think sand) that are placed into coolant to clean the rust from cast iron engines out of the radiator. The rust would normally adhere to the inside of the radiator and degrade it's cooling properties. The silicates would scrub out the radiator and hold the rust until you changed it out, no more than every 2 years.

But, the silicates are hard on water pump seals. Very hard.

Honda didn't have hardened seals on the Goldwings because all of their cars and motorcycles have aluminum engines, rubber hoses and aluminum radiators.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
It's not exactly the same. The auto stuff is blue and it says on the container 'five year'. The bike stuff is green and makes no such claim. Honda's recommendations include anti-freeze change every two years for bikes. So I presume...if you use the car stuff it's good for five? Both are non-silicate formula.

It wasn't that many years ago that Honda decided silicate additives were hard on water pumps. It's not like regular coolant is gonna dissolve your pump seals. I think the benefit is in long term wear.
Actually the Honda auto coolant used to be green too, the last few years it has been blue. The bike coolant is still green? maybe they still have a large warehouse of those quart bottles somewhere?

·
1,819 Posts
I HAD used different automotive coolant in my wings , but after the water pump on my 1500 started dripping , and i had to by a new one , i had only used Honda bike coolant , and i am happy with that .(-yeah , a little expensive , BUT its only 4 quarts every second year ! ).

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Here in NH, we have large auto parts chain: Advanced Auto. Went there 3 weeks ago to obtain pre-mixed gallon of Non-silicate AF. Counterman said ALL his AF contained silicate! He had two brands marked: 'Low Silicate' on front label.
Ended up going to Honda auto dealer. They had 50/50 Non-Silicate in gallon jug but one must be careful, as SOME dealers only sell by the quart, which is Way Too Expensive! TTFN.....papasmurf
I'm not suggesting the man behind the counter does not know what he's talking about, but he does not know what he's talking about. We have Advanced Auto here too. Along with O'Reillys, Murrays(the same thing), Auto Zone, NAPA. I have visited them all and every gallon I picked up had not ONE ingredient listed as a "silicate". I have been using automotive brand coolant since 2002 when I bought my VTX and have been using it ever since with no coolant related failures. Two pennies.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts

Look up "water glass" and you will understand what the silicates in coolant are. Basically it is a water soluble "sand" that they add to some coolants as a sealer... Helps with corrosion protection. When the disolved silicate is exposed to acidic compounds ( like used oil at the WP oil to coolant seal) it returns to the solid state (sand) and likewise when it evaporates (at the WP coolant to air seal) it returns to sand. It is very effective at sealing leaks and for many years was OEM additive for many manufacturers.. It is a common ingrediant in radiator sealers.. Goldwing pumps are not very tolerant of these silicates...

I should add that the dexcool coolants are not compatible with the ordinary glycol coolants and should not be used unless you do a very thorough job of flushing before hand... And never mix with ordinary glycol.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
It's not exactly the same. The auto stuff is blue and it says on the container 'five year'....

Any Honda car dealers I know use the same green stuff as the Goldwings. I know because I buy the gallon jugs from them, cheaper than from the Honda motorcycle dealer.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Any Honda car dealers I know use the same green stuff as the Goldwings. I know because I buy the gallon jugs from them, cheaper than from the Honda motorcycle dealer.
Apparently you don't know the one I worked at for over 25 years as shop foreman. We sold BOTH autos and motorcycles (as well as numerous other products). I can't tell you exactly when it turned blue...but I do remember using it when I did dozens of Honda's 'heat issue' campaigns on 01 through 03 GL1800s. It came directly from Hondas auto parts warehouses and had their name on it. Maybe it's different in your part of the country.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.