Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

They have been talking about motorcycle accidents and deaths being on the rise with all the people buying bikes now.

Last year there were 530 deaths in Florida.

They say 1/4 were drunk, 1/2 were not wearing helmets and most were speeding.

The one thing they didn't say with all the statistics, was how many were actually charged with being responsible with the accident?

Not to get the argument going again about helmets, but it is interesting seeing that it's about 50/50 in the fatalities.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

Something else to think about? I'm not pushing for anything here, but, they say that 50% of the accidents are alchol related, and people really get upset. What does that say about the other 50%. Why does it seem that, that is not as bad?

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I forget who said that, it would be interesting to get the whole story.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

here is my $.03, if all motorcyclists rode in a safe, defensive manner, fully armored or not, the fatality rate, I feel, would drop at least 75%.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

-- 30% more cars on U.S. highways since the the 1970's, and not a corresponding increase in highway construction.... more cars on the same highways to run us down.

-- Motorcycles are a full 50% more powerful and responsive than the 1970's. Recipe for disaster: compare a Suzuki Hayabusi to the Honda CL305 with which most of us began, no comparison. When I went to purchase a good beginner's bike for my son,to replacethe 250cc Rebel he first owned, my choice was limited almost to a Suzuki 500 GS (which we couldn't find) and a Suzuki 650 (which we did.....). Even so, the SV650 is a veritable rocketship, no beginner's bike, and it caused me many sleepless nights.

-- Alcohol and drug consumption is still climbing among the U.S. citizenry, and when you pile on the cultural iconssuch asSturgis and Daytona, where alcohol and drug consumption are encouraged and glorified, what do you expect?

-- Helmet use is derided: through the efforts of ABATE and those who espouse "personal freedom at any cost." I imagine that "Personal Freedom at any cause" is a meaningless phrase to those mourning the death of a beloved nineteen year old.

-- Our licensing and learning systems are archaic and ridiculous compared to those of the UK. Here, in Washington State, I could haul my seventeen year old rear end down to DMV, pass the ridiculously easy test on a borrowed Suzuki GS 500, and then go right down to the dealer and buy me that shiny new Haybusi and go out and smear myself all over the nearest bridge abutment! Actually, if I was the anti-government type, I wouldn't even have to bother with the meaningless test! Hallelujah! Ain't freedom of choice great?

Yessir, no mystery, to me at least, why motorcycle deaths are up, no mystery a 'tall....

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Of course to sell their spot, the news fools had to show a lot of bikes all crunched up and laying around in the road and ditch.

I didn't see one Goldwing. All were either crotch rockets or Harleys. The crotch rockets fell under the speeding category, and the Harleys under the drinking and no helmets.

I agree that we do need stricter licensing, but at the same time more education for the people in the cars. The do's anddon'ts of riding around someone on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

YOU NAILED IT!!!

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
I agree that we do need stricter licensing, but at the same time more education for the people in the cars. The do's anddon'ts of riding around someone on a motorcycle.
The problem is most don't pay attention to the do's and don't's of driving around other cars, or even on the road by themselves...much less what to and not to do around a motorcycle.

Personally, I think that any driver acting like an idiot around a motorcycle should be open to having attempted murder charges filed against them. Face it, 3000lbs car with an idiot behind the wheel doing retarded things around a bike versus 600lbs motorcycle...who's going to die here?

Perhaps if the penalty for not paying attention was a bit more severe, people would pay a bit more attention.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

English Bob wrote:
There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I forget who said that, it would be interesting to get the whole story.
Apparently it was Benjamin Disraeli, a 19th century British Prime Minister, who first said that. Mark Twain made it more popular.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
The problem is most don't pay attention to the do's and don't's of driving around other cars, or even on the road by themselves...much less what to and not to do around a motorcycle.

Personally, I think that any driver acting like an idiot around a motorcycle should be open to having attempted murder charges filed against them. Face it, 3000lbs car with an idiot behind the wheel doing retarded things around a bike versus 600lbs motorcycle...who's going to die here?

Perhaps if the penalty for not paying attention was a bit more severe, people would pay a bit more attention.

Mike
The problem is complex and most drivers are simple. Up here the big farce is that speeding is dangerous and it's the "Big Stick" being used to promote road safety. (And generate income)

In reality the simple minded logic out that if hey don't speed they aresafe drivers. They turn on the cruise control and turn off the brain. If more tickets were handed out for other offences it would make the drivers start using the most important safety device available, an active mind.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,655 Posts
imported post

Friday, one of our Field Techs called me on the phone to let me know he was stopped in traffic.

When he came upon the incident, it was a motorbike with two riders. 34 y/o and 7 y/o. The incident list on our fire department computers listed it as (1) with serious head, shoulder, back injuries, (2) unknown & comatose.

A cager just ran up along side the m/c, paced it and then just simply turned into the m/c's lane running him off the road. Don't know if he hit another cage or the railing.

Our tech couldn't see all of it and HIPPA rules won't let us see the incident reports.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
imported post

I live in Fl and work in a local ER....bike fatalities are rising.....alcohol and a freaking rocketship between your legs is sure disaster...it's not us old farts on wings going down....it's 25 and under on a 180+ mph bike riding way over their heads...2 years ago, 21 deaths during daytona bike week....last year 7....that's out of 600,000 bikers....state-wide and nation-wide deaths are up.....

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

lostinflorida wrote:
They have been talking about motorcycle accidents and deaths being on the rise with all the people buying bikes now.

Last year there were 530 deaths in Florida.
Becareful out there lost!!!! We know how bad they drive in Florida!! :shock:Oh wait a minute...............that's everywhere! :baffled:

So, becareful out there wherever you are!!!! :)

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

They (accidents) are on the upswing here in Dayton also, but with the end of the riding season near, may taper off. A few Wing accidents around here this summer, and lots of rockets. Seems to be a lot of them, or at least enuff for me to notice, were single bike crashes that were attributed to alcohol and/or high speed, resulting in loss of control. I ride 35 miles both ways to and from work everyday I can, and I see these crazy antics that guys try on scoots. I have also seen some VERY bad wingers and HD riders also. Cages most of all, but since we KNOW that danger is near, we SHOULD be watching for those idiots ALL the time. I see a lot of bikes parked in front of bars on the weekends. Some of the "runs" around here start and end at bars, with stops inbetween. Maybe I'm gettin' paranoid after all these years of ridin' with no accidents, but there are is HECK of a lot MORE traffic of all types than there used to be. And apparently a LOT of cars that were sold without turn signals?????

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

It's hard to understand the mentality of cagers to ride up beside you and then cut you off. I had it happen several times just in the last couple weeks. They see you, they even look at you as the pull up beside you, even make eye contact with you. Then they drive 1/4 mile more and take your lane.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.