Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am a retired carpenter and I just built a 12' x 15' motorcycle garage for my GoldWing and things. However I have a problem and I need some suggestions. My yard is very steep and the first time I tried to back out of the building, I had a really hard time getting turned around. Does anyone havea suggestion for a turntable type of arrangement I could use to turn my wing around in the building? I could then just ride out of the building and not have to worry about dropping the Wing and ruining a days ride before it even begins.

I built a drive through building for a friend, however the back of my building is about 12" from a fence.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Your Friend,

John D.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Hmmmmmm. It wouldn't be too big of a deal to build a turntable in your garage. Is it a subfloor or concrete foundation? A non bearing central pivot and casters around the perimeter of a turntable would work good I think. If it's a concrete floor you'd have to build the whole thing up. I kinda wish I could do it for you. It'd be fun.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Think it kind of depends on the skill level and how fancy U want to get - have seen people who used part of old cable spool for the table. U would have to use something stronger if u went with non-supporting piviot though.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

A merry go round with a bike tire chock on it and an exit/enter ramp

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Can you BACK into the garage?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

fgkwing wrote:
Can you BACK into the garage?
Then you'd have to have windshield on the back of your bike. :cheeky1:

Sorry. That wasn't even funny.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

How about just a framed 4 x 8 sheet of plywood with one way casters in various places to support the weight. A pivot point at the middle of course. It could even be build like 24 inches wide by however long you want it. that way you don't have so much platform in the way. by using one way casters your not trying to overcome the swivel as you start to turn. I figure about 6 to 8 caster would do a nice revolving platform. Put a pin (1/2" rod) at either end with to lock it in a position you want. That does sound like fun.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

IF you took a rear wheel bearing from a front wheel drive car bolt it to flat iron then bolt that to your floor then take a pice of c-channel the lenth of the two wheels on your bike and weld or bolt to top of the bearing so it will turn in a circle so you can drive out

·
Premium Member
67,320 Posts
imported post

As a old builder I once braced a rafter and ceiling joyce to lift a car body so the guy could work on running gear and engine.. We did the lift with a block and tackle.. Could you brace the ceiling make a strap for the bike, lift it, spin it and set it down ??????

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

turn tiller to right and pull back toward you on left side. It's easy to spin it around on side stand. Cheap too:)

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

my garage has a concrete floor and i use about 16 inch piece of conveyor belt, just park the bike on the centerstand on the belt, grab the left handgrip and the passenger grab handle and spin it around pretty easilly, if you put a little water on the floor under the belt its even easier

if your garage has a wood floor i would try screwing about a 16 inch square or circle of 1/4 inch steel to the floor, the centerstand should turn pretty easy on that

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

Add a back door, drive in, drive out.

James

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

He can't add a back door, too close to the fence.
However, i used some quick move dollies to move one before and it worked great.
They slide in from the side, slide towards the tread of the tire and then you just step on the lever and raise the tire up. You will se them used on the TV show Operation Repo
from time to time.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

No too many months ago I saw somewhere a bike dolly that you roll under the bike put the center stand in the center of this dolly and you can move it any where you want in moved.....It had a low center that the center stand fit into and danged now if I can remember where I saw it???? I even had my buddy look at it to make me one and he has gotten real busy at his shop so he hasn't had time to work on me a dolly yet.....Boy I hate these "Senior Moments" they are coming more often and more regular now....OK where did I put my brain????

Claude......

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Better is to use a regular bike jack to turn bikes around inthe shop. It's quick and easy an provides the advantage of being able to raise your bike to save the back during maintenance. No jockeying needed, slip it under the bike, four or five pumps will lift the wheels just off the ground and you can turn the bike around or move it in the garage where you want it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.