Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Progressive renewal policy...rate increase.
Now I am shopping.
GEICO is $40/yr lower than Progrssive.
SAFECO and Foremost are more expensive.

Any suggestions?
Comments good or bad with GEICO??

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
I've got Foremost, but I get all kinds of discounts through Farmers because of time and vehicles with them. I shopped around and Progressive was more for me. Geico was actually less, but you have to be careful with those quotes, because they play some games where the quote they give you goes up when it's actually time to purchase...

In the end, the Geico wound up less than $10 more than Foremost and I was so PO'd about the manipulation that I just stuck with what I had.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I have stuck with Progressive for about 14 years. Have found other "temporarily" less expensive policies, but savings are fleeting. For example, Allstate decides to go after business and cuts prices every few years and then it goes back up. I am paying about $650 for my '02 Kawi VN750 (liability only), my '02 Wing (full coverage) and my '09 ST1300 (also full coverage). That is with $250,000/$500,000 coverage for liability AND uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. The uninsured motorist coverage is actually about half the premium, so in your state there could be a wide variation.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have 3 cars. I have had Farmers for over 30 years. I had a minor accident in a high school parking lot on graduation night. It was a demolition derby in there. There was no visible damage to my vehicle or the other vehicle, but the other driver filed a claim. Farmers paid out a little over $700. Then they tried to double the rates on all 3 of my cars for 3 years, which would have cost me almost $4000. I called Geico (I hate that lizard, but business is business) I explained to them what happened. Because it was a parking lot accident at less than 1 mph, they gave it a much lower priority than an accident on the street. In short, I wound up going with Geico for all 3 cars, and over the next 3 years it is only going to cost me a little over $500 more than it would have with Farmers if I had not had the accident. I saved almost $3500. I was very happy with Farmers, they had great rates. But they don't care anything about their customers or customer loyalty. I would have been happy to pay them back their $700, but they saw a chance to make a bundle, and lost everything.

As for motorcycle insurance, I have that with Dairyland. I currently have 6 bikes insured with them, for minimum liability only, and it costs me less than $200 a year. I'm guessing the Goldwing alone would not be more than $50 a year. In AZ, unless you have a really valuable vehicle, it is not worth insuring. There is some kind of law here that lets insurance companies get away with paying you way less than your vehicle is worth if it is totaled, and that same law makes it a lot more likely that a vehicle with even minor damage will be totaled. You see a LOT of nice cars and bikes on Craigslist with salvage titles, because they were "totaled" by an insurance company. In most cases that would be enough to scare me off, but it is possible that the damage really was very minor, and the owner was scammed by the insurance company.

numbersman, I just saw you have an '02 Vulcan 750. So do I. It is one of the 6 bikes I have insured by Dairyland. Again, I pay under $200 a year FOR ALL SIX for minimum liability only. Just like the Goldwing, the Vulcan 750 would likely be about $50 a year by itself. I get a multi-bike discount

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
GEICO $146 a year on both of my motorcycles. State minimums, no collision, comp with $500 deductible.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I've had Progressive for the entire time I've been riding. I have AmFam for everything else. My AmFam agent said he could'nt touch what I'm paying at Progressive. I have double state requirements. I carry 100,000/ 200,000 liability and its seventy five bucks a year. I had full on my 02 VTX and it was about one eighty a year. Sounds good to me.

·
Premium Member
67,822 Posts
It depends a lot on where you live..
In CA Progressive is the best for me........

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
In 1973 our Gubernment decided that the insurance company's were gouging us so took over.

A rider with no history now pays only about $1,650 for basic/mandatory insurance on a 1,000CC or larger motorcycle.

If we're claim free for nine years or more they reduce that by 43% so we pay under $1,000. :claps:

I'm happy that we have a Gubernment that's protecting us from those price gouging private insurance companies that others have to put up with.:)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
after

An insurance companies true value is determined after the accident. I had my first last August. The "other guy" decided, on the spur of the moment, that he would rather make a U-turn on a 2-lane US hwy, than the right turn that he had signaled. To say that he surprised me, wouldn't quite cover it. I had just changed to Progressive the month before. It took their agent almost 10 days to total my moto (03-GL1800, with 86k miles) and cut me a check for $13,100 for the bike and another $3000 for accessories and riding gear. In addition they paid the 6% sales tax on the replacement if purchased within 30 days of when I was capable of riding again. I honestly can not think of anything reasonable that they could have done better. However, the "other guy's" insurance is Farmers (also known as Foremost) has been the most obtuse company that I've ever dealt with for anything. All I wanted from them was to pay the medical bills, my $500 deductable and $900 in lost wages. The hospital and I have been jumping thru various hoops for them until this month, when I finally decided to hire a lawyer. I know it will take time, but I'm assured that this will cost Farmers an additional $20k minimum. I can't draw any stronger a contrast between two companies doing the same business.

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
In 1973 our Gubernment decided that the insurance company's were gouging us so took over.

A rider with no history now pays only about $1,650 for basic/mandatory insurance on a 1,000CC or larger motorcycle.

If we're claim free for nine years or more they reduce that by 43% so we pay under $1,000. :claps:

I'm happy that we have a Gubernment that's protecting us from those price gouging private insurance companies that others have to put up with.:)
I hope you mean for four years for that amount. I had an 02 VTX 1800 Retro and my full coverage insurance per year was about one sixty a year. For liability NOW on the wing is right at sixty to seventy five per year.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention that the Farmers agent told me, is that it is common practice for an insurance company to pay a small claim even when they can't find any damage, in order to not upset the person filing the claim and risk having them file a much larger claim, possibly including injuries, which is pretty much what happened in my case. So if, say the front tire of your motorcycle touches the beat up back bumper on an old pickup and doesn't leave a mark, they are pretty much assured of getting a new bumper anyway. In my case, had I been in the other car, and someone bumped into me at less than one mph, and I did not see any damage, I would have just told them not to worry about it and went on. While I did not see any damage to this persons bumper (both were plastic) I did notice several door dings on their vehicle (mine has quite a few as well) It's a wonder they didn't try to charge me for those too.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I hope you mean for four years for that amount. I had an 02 VTX 1800 Retro and my full coverage insurance per year was about one sixty a year. For liability NOW on the wing is right at sixty to seventy five per year.
I just checked and I'm paying $84.74 a month but that includes registration so the insurance is just under $1,000 a year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.