Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking at getting new jackets for myself and the big boss.Was looking at the Frank Thomas style with the armor.Looks a little more comfy than the traditional leather jackets.My wife seems to like them so we know who will win...Tanx in advance..Trap

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I am on my second Frank Thomas set and think they are brilliant. One word of warning however. They come with a removable inner lining that you just unzip. Last years outfit had arms in the inner lining but this years do not. Try and find a jacket that has the arms in the removable lining as your arms can get very cold without them. Given the price I can't figure out why they left them out of this years jacket? It has got to the stage that I nowprefer to wear the older jacket when the temp get cooler or I either have to put on a heavy sleeved jumper below it. Apart from that they are a brilliant piece of kit and completely waterproof whilst breathable.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Lads, :( I think we are on the wrong forum for this disscussion. :shock: How and ever just to let ye know that i use Scott Leathers in textile and that does the job for me. :grinner:

Scott Leathers. :clapper: :18red:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I have the Frank Thomas as well. It's about 3 years old. I find that it is a very heavy jacket that is too hot in summer and too cold in the winter, but there again leather never was really practical anyway! The weight is because its a proper bikers jacket with proper panels etc. but I still prefer a waterproof bikers jacket instead because it's warmer in winter and weighs a lot less than the FT leather one.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I just purchased a Wilson Leather Jacket.. Has a zip out inner lining (sleevless) and a dual leather collar. The inner collar actually zips up the neck about chin high and the outer collar snaps over it making cold weather rides very comfortable.. Overall, the jacket is heavy and too warm for summer riding so I use my old 19 yr. old leather lightweight. Love the Wilson soft texture and it came with a one year unconditional guarantee. I rubbed the Appl leather conditioner into it to keep it looking new and waterproof.. The sleeves have two snaps for open and tight fits (for gloves). So far,,, so good.. If it lasts like the old jacket,, I'll be happy. My old gas bag riding buddy bought his two years ago (different style, but a Wilson) and it still looks like new. Wilsons can be purchased on line...

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey Lads, :( I think we are on the wrong forum for this disscussion. :shock: We should be on the general discussion forum. :? How and ever just to let ye know that i use the Scott Leathers in textile and that does the job for me. :grinner:

Scott Leathers. :clapper: :18red:
no sooner said than done ...:waving::waving:Ciaran.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Guess I'm a little "Old Fashoned", but I prefer leather. Wore out a Bates, OUT-GREW a Honda Line, and am currently using a repro-WWII B-1 Bomber jacket. Yes it does look a bit dated, but man is it ever warm...:D

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Tourmaster with armor for me. More waterproof and lighter than leather. Couple this with electric liner and it's nice and warm.

Marco,

Ashland, OR

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Tanx fur the input boyz.I m gonna try a fabric jacket with armor.The Frank Thomas strike is on the market here.I ll give U a report after a few months use and let U know.Tanx again for all your comments..Trap

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

trapper48 wrote:
Tanx fur the input boyz.I m gonna try a fabric jacket with armor.The Frank Thomas strike is on the market here.I ll give U a report after a few months use and let U know.Tanx again for all your comments..Trap
Hey trapper48, Dont ferget abaut thee speelin cheeck :clapper:at thee tap righte hend carnor of thas baord. :leprechaun:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Tanx fur the advice Red......wish I had all day to pick apart everyones post...Trap

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

trapper48 wrote:
Tanx fur the advice Red.........Trap
Dont mention it trapper48, :waving:always ready to help an old friend. :gunhead:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
imported post

I have a spelling checker too. It came with my PC. It plane lee
marks, four my review, miss steaks aye can knot see.

I ran this post threw it 3 times to make sure their were know miss steaks.

I'm sure real glad to no, it's polished in it's own weigh. My spell checker tolled me sew.

Each frays comes posed up on my screen and eye truss it two bee true. Ewe sea, the checker pours over every word to cheque sum spelling rule.

Butt now, be cause my spelling is checked with such grate flare, there are know faults with my cite. Nun eye am a ware of, anyway.

To rite with care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud. Sew wee mussed dew the best wee can, cause flaws can knot bee aloud.

Sew now ewe can sea why aye dew prays such soft wear four pea seas and why eye brake in two averse by righting too please.

I'll bet this spell checker will work for ewe two.

Oh yes, I ride easy with a USMC leather Flight Jacket.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
imported post

I bought a heavy leather no-name jacket at a flea market booth in Crossville, Tenn. It has zipped vents, cuffs, full front zip, snap collar, warm poly lining, and a zip-out liner. So warm I have yet to use the liner. I also have a Joe Rocket ballistic mesh jacket with armor for the 80-90 degree days with 90%+ humidity we get here for several months each summer. May not be leather, but beats a t-shirt by miles.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Good ole fashioned cowhide leather for us...........Danier Leather limited style selection for bike coats but we managed to find suitable ones. I have two now, plus a leather snowmobile suit that I have used in the spring and fall up north here. Momma felt sorry for me and got me a heated vest also. Cooling generally is not an issue here :shock:

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

depends on the weather, if it is much below 60 degrees, I wear the leather, above that, I wear my perforated textile. I went down last summer when I got rearended on my silverwing, and the textile protected me quite adequately. I have no qualms about it coming apart when it is really needed.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

my riding friend and I said we would never get a fabric coat, always liked our leather. Now we both wear fabric coats. He bought a real nice first gear, I bought a cheaper Nitro. I have not worn my leather coat since. With the liner in, I can ride year round. Take the liner out and I wear it until summer. No more stopping to put on rain gear if it starts raining. My wife bought me the jacket and some pants for Christmas 2004, both the cheaper Nitro brand, I loved them (still have the pants) and i was a guy who swore by leather. It is just so much more versatile, in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I have been wearing brown leather jackets for 35 or so years and have never tried any of the fabric jackets. I hear from other riders and on this Forum that I might be warmer or in some cases cooler in a well designed and made fabric jacket. It would probably be several pounds lighter also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.