Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

If a person had a choice, what brand bike lift would you get?

• Sears

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harbor Freight

• JC Whitney

• Other (please list make/model in a post)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

With the thread about the bike lifts from UBarWgot me to thinking...as I too have a birthday coming in a bit. If possible please list your make & model in a post here.:waving:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

Putt N along wrote:
With the thread about the bike lifts from UBarWgot me to thinking...as I too have a birthday coming in a bit. If possible please list your make & model in a post here.:waving:
I'm new to Wing's so bear in mind that I have zero experience doing and Wing lifting...

I'm going to use the floor jack I already own (for wheel removal etc) until I can find or cobble together something that I don't presently have the space to use anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
imported post

I have a Sears lift....the one that is on sale for 59.00 sometimes. It does the job but is a little wobbly ...IMHO.

I also have the HF 1200 LB air operated lift. I had to do some small modifications for the wing to fit on it. It is very stable, and goes up 30" I think. Special price was 389.00

HF also had a 1000 LB air model, and a 1000 LB foot pump/hydraulic. The foot pump model was recently on sale for 199.00

Since my honey let me pick, I went with the 1200 LB model. It will do everything I think I will need. :D

Tim

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Got the Larin from a Sam's Club. With half the collapsed height, made it much easier to roll under a low bike. Plus it has foot pedals to raise and lower the bike, keeping both hands free to steady the bike.

Comparison:

Larin 2.5" high
Torin 5.1" high
Tractor Supply Jack 5.1" high
Sears 5" inch

When you got a low bike, the extra 2 1/2" comes in handy. Many posts online about people not able to get their jack under their bike without putting the bike on 2x4's first.

Raymond

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I use both the Canadian Tire Lift similat to the Sears & H/F - and a Bike Dolly for most of the winter from Princess Auto just to move the bike when lifting is not necessary. The Dolly is more stable. :waving:

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

Pit Bull. Nothing more needs said.

Mark

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Yep. Pit bull is the best.

HF is more than adequate for the money however.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Got the Larin from a Sam's Club. With half the collapsed height, made it much easier to roll under a low bike. Plus it has foot pedals to raise and lower the bike, keeping both hands free to steady the bike.

Comparison:

Larin 2.5" high
Torin 5.1" high
Tractor Supply Jack 5.1" high
Sears 5" inch

When you got a low bike, the extra 2 1/2" comes in handy. Many posts online about people not able to get their jack under their bike without putting the bike on 2x4's first.

Raymond
I also have the Larin from Sam's Club. I got one when they first came out and ended up selling it to a friend and went back and bought another one. This one has fold out stableizers and along with the foot pump for raising it,,it also has the "Foot release valve". You always have hands free to hold the bike while raising and lowering.

A great item for the money, under $100.00

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My vote is for the HF jack. Mainly because it's got more strongly constructed lift arms than the Sears. The HF's arms are welded assemblies with bushings welded in, many of the other types are basically just flat steel. The HF and Sears jacks are both about the same height, they won't quite slip under a 'Wing sitting on the side stand but if you pull the bike upright just a little bit while you slide the jack under it goes easily. I think the height was just about 3" fully collapsed.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

If money was no object -I'd get that slick, aluminum Craftsmanjob Sears sells. I think it was $160.00 or so.

I have a ($49.00 on sale) Harbor Freight, and it works fine - but it would be nice to be able to snatch it up and hang it on the wall when not in use. Garage space is at a premium around here.

The (steel) H/F unit wouldneed a hell of a hook. :)

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

I'm deeply spoiled. 1978 fork lift with invented bike rail.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I also have the one from CTC. It issimilar to the HF/PA, made in China, models but a bit sturdier. Comes on sale quite ofter for as low as $69. Take a trip north from Minnesota and get yourself one. Or perhaps CTC has moved into the northern states out there.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

I was at Harbor Freight yesterday looking at the one they have on sale. But one question how do you kee them stable on it? I am new to this.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

They come with a tie down strap to secure the bike on the jack.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

That is the one I got Jenn (CTC), - on sale for $79.99. I use it for my car as well (Corolla) works fine with the straps & support under the ends when necessary. Check out the bike dolly from Princess Auto, I had mine shipped from Winnipeg . :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

I just got back from the annual motorcycle show here and a couple of dealers were selling the table lifts, but these ones had the drop down trap door that lets you remove a wheel while the bike is elevated.

Bin thinkin' about this. Someone needs to make a table lift that has an integral under-engine jack built onto it. You could lift the bike up to waist height while it's resting on its wheels and then lift it a few inches further with the engine jack if you need to work on wheels or suspension.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

It's funny you say that. I was wondering if I could put a motorcycle jack on top of my table lift.:stumped:

I haven't bought a jack yet, but the thought had crossed my mind.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.