Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do many of you guys have a lift table?I need one to work on my bike (my lawn mowers too) My physical limmitations make it a necessity. What has worked for you?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Harbor Freight sells one that I have read a lot of favorable reports on in other forums. With the right coupon and sale combinations it has been bought for as little as $200.Harbor Freight lift I haven't bought one yet so don't have any first hand experience.

Walter

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

i have two, the lift table and the jack and find them both good, only trouble i have with the lift table, i have to walk the bike on, i need to make so running boards for either side so i can ride on,

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

What type of lawn mower and how wide is it. Kit

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Just an old 42 in cut yardman-the bike is more important to me.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

oldmisterbill wrote:
Just an old 42 in cut yardman-the bike is more important to me.
Well the smaller lifts are only about two feet wide. Some are not long enough for the wing size bike either and have to be modified. Lengthened and for a work surface large enough for a riding lawnmower then would have to be widened also. As the are not very stable anyway, then additional work would be needed especially if one did widen the work platform. The front wheel clamp on most also has to be modified for ease of use.

Lifts like this one are expensive, but safe and do not require extensive modifications to be stable, safe and have room enough to work. You can do a search on the web for motorcycle lifts and find many to choose from. This is just an example of one that I consider a very good lift. Kit

Direct Lift - Pro Cycle XLT Drop Tail - Motorcycle Lift

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

I had asked the same question on a different forum and received varying responses. Each has it's own advantages as well as limitations; jack is good for removing wheels, where a lift you would still need some other type of impliment to get either of the wheels in the air. Storage or used spaced is a big consideration. Do you have room for a lift?Because onceit is there, the space can't be used for much else.Jacks can be stored easier.Justtwo of the comparisons.

The lift will probably get the height up where you might want it, where a jack is limited to about 16"-18". Good enough to get the bike up and you could sit on a stool or mechanics chair.

Optimum would be to have both, if you have the room in your garage/shed/shop.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I just used a bunch of 2x6 that I had laying around and made a table. Nothing fancy but funtional for what I wanted to do. I just have a 6' removable ramp at the one end and push the bike up onto the table.

I've been doing fairly major upgrades to exhaust, water pump, rad, tensioners etc this winter so I needed a table to save the back.

If I wasn't doing anything major you really don't need either a table or a lift. On these older bikes with centre stands all maintance can be accomplished with at most a small floor jack & piece of 2x4 to get front wheel off the ground. Everything else can be done by using the center stand.

If you got the money & space go for the commercial tables.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

Even if you buy the most expensive one out there, be careful. I've had the crash, been there, the number one leason in which I have learned, even if you have the bike solid clamped to lift , use canvas straps and secure to aoverhead fastener point. One in front and one in back, webbed through frame.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

I have both the home built table and the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift table. I haven't lifted my 85 Ltd with it yet but it is rated up to 1100 lbs. I have had many different bikes on it and it has worked great. It's the foot pump type and has lifted some pretty heavy bikes with out fail and it's very stable.

My home built is stationary, made of 4"x4"sand uses a ramp to get the bike on it. Bike is about 2 feet off the ground when on the table. Works great for total tear downs and engine removals.

I use both and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I have an Old Center jack stand and the Harbor Freight Hydraulic Table.

After some slight modifications to the table I have used it exclusively since.

It raises and holds my 95 Aspencade just fine.

I ride the bike on as I have to ride up a ramp into the shed and I can't muscle the bike up the shed ramp and then the table ramp.

The modifications to the table were to add a piece of angle on the left side for the side kickstand when I get off the bike after riding up the ramp.

I also fabricated an extended stop to mount to the front of table so the Wing is positioned forward of stock to be able to remove that plate so the rear tire can be removed.

Further modifications allow me to mount a 6.00" vise and a double bench grinder/Buffer to the table as I use it as a work bench when the bike is not on it. Also mounted to the end is a 100 pound Anvil. But you better wear ear plugs if you pound there much.
I also ran a drop cord and mounted a quad box to the table for a shop light of what ever I need.

The table is strong enough and I like that I can raise or lower it to a comfortable height to work on what ever. I can also lower it some so I can pull up a wheeled chair to sit in while I work on whatever.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

I am going through the investigation process myself of the HF lift and found this page very helpful.

http://www.hrot.org/martino/goldwing/lift/index.htm

Good pictures and tips on using the 1000 lb $379 (current price) HF Lift with a Goldwing. Enjoy and good luck, Dick

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
imported post

I've had a Handy Lift for many years - probably close to 15 and it lifts my 1500 effortlessly... I recently added the side extensions and can ride the Wing right up on the lift... Been trouble free all those years - not cheap, but a quality product - this is the one you'll see in the MC shops and at the rallies...

http://www.handyindustries.com/

Les

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Just be carefull you don't extend the front of the lift out too far or it could tip forward at the lower setting of the lift. It swings forward as it lowers and at rest.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

He is right, Not too far forward.

What I did is ride up on the lift. Let the stock front tire stop stop me.

Put the side stand down to allow me to get off the bike.

Then put the center stand down.

Now measure from where the center stand is planted now to where you need to be to clear the removable plate.

And then build an extension just long enough to be able to put the center stand down and still clear the plate.

I was still able to use the front tire clamp too in it's most forward position.

The biggest problem I have with the lift is getting myself centered on the lift.

You just can't see around the fairing to tell you where you are.

I ride up a ramp into the shed and hang a sharp right to get to the table ramp.

So I hung a rubber ball from the ceiling and positioned it so that the ball meets the center of my windshield vent when I am in the center of the ramp.

Works great for me and saves some arguments with the wife as you know they can't measure right. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

dadztoy wrote:
I've had a Handy Lift for many years - probably close to 15 and it lifts my 1500 effortlessly... I recently added the side extensions and can ride the Wing right up on the lift... Been trouble free all those years - not cheap, but a quality product - this is the one you'll see in the MC shops and at the rallies...

Les
Not cheap is right! :shock: Momma would have a fit if I showed her something at that price. Makes the $350-$500 lifts a bargin, unless you're running a shop.

Larry

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

dadztoy wrote:

Les
Not cheap is right! :shock: Momma would have a fit if I showed her something at that price. Makes the $350-$500 lifts a bargin, unless you're running a shop.

Larry

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I love the rubber ball idea & the feed back here is amazing.

I did a lot of web browsing there are a lot of different lifts out there-and a lot of them seem to be copys of others. When Iget the $$to get one I can see a bunch of time involved in getting the right bang for my buck. So many to choose from. Oh well I have plenty of time to look and save.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.