Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 86 GL1200 and I am interested in buying a lift jack. Has any of you guys had any experience with them and if so what brand and model do you recommend. I'v gone on line and have read reviews on may types and they mention many issues. Any information would be helpfull.

Snowman

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

I used my neighbors craftsman motorcycle/atv jack to change the engine in my 1984 1200 and it worked like a champ.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi snowman, some has to do with how big your budget is for one. You can go from a few hundred to three thousand. Some run on air, and others are hydralic. So as you say there is a lot of choices. If you really look, you can see that a lot are very narrow ones and you will need addons for width and length. Width is so you can drive on and put the side stand down until you can get off and put it on the centre stand. the other is length so you can drop the back tire where the plate is for that on the platform if you get that one. So good luck on your choice. :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Hi Snowman, I myself have and like the craftsman lift it was about 125.00 andfor my uses does the job, haven't used any others so my voice is limited to just this one.

Check Rudy's site out http://goldwingtech.info/he has a tutorial on using small lifts, I found it very useful. You'll find alot of good folks on here who will help you out.

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

The one I use I picked up at a pep boys auto parts store . It was $49.99. but you can get it on sale every now and then. It has a bottle jack used to lift the bike, with hoops so you can strap it down. works fine for all my bikes.,,,

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

I had a Craftsman jack that was fairly inexpensive. I never had problem with it but always made me nervous, it just wasn't real stable.

Last year I bought a used Pitbull lift off one of the local GWRRA boards for $150.00. It works great, very stable, you can roll the jack around with the bike in the air.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've got a Harbor Freight jack as well as one from Pep Boys. They both work well and I've had all models of the 'Wing up on them except for the 1800. I use the jack for maintenace and just shifting the bikes around in the shop or now in my garage. It's a big help for an aging back.

I just changed the rear tire with my 1500 on the HF jack. The only thing I do when removing heavy items like wheels is to first jack up the bike then block up the tire on the end I'm not working on. That way when I remove the wheel it won't unbalance the bike on the jack. The only other caveat is to be reasonable about how you yank on wrenches, don't tip the bike off the jack with a long cheater on a ratchet wrench. If you have a real stubborn bolt, lower the bike to the ground to break the bolt loose.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

It looks like the pit bull is the right choice for me, where would i get one without ordering and paying for shipping?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I own a 92 1500 SE. I purchased a lift jack from Harbor Freight last week. Used it this week to change timing belts and anti-freeze. I'm very happy with it and would purchase it again! Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
imported post

HI...HAD USED MY CRAFTSMAN FROM SEARS....FOR UNDER 100 BUCKS, I THINK 79.95....HOWEVER I HAD TO USE AIR IN THE SHOCKS TO FIRST RAISE THE BIKE, THEN SLIP THE JACK UNDERNEATH AS IT HAS FOUR WHEELS...THEN LOCKED IT ONCE I HAD PLACE THE BIKE WHERE I NEEDED IT IN THE GARAGE. HOPE THIS HELPS...WIZARD0520

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
imported post

Sonny in Indiana wrote:
I have one like AHT_SIX, but I like the one I built a little better........home made table lift
:dude:Great looking lift!
So how did you build?
:?Do you have plans?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Now that's the best bike lift I've ever seen, have some mana on me!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

aht_six wrote:
I had a Craftsman jack that was fairly inexpensive. I never had problem with it but always made me nervous, it just wasn't real stable.

Last year I bought a used Pitbull lift off one of the local GWRRA boards for $150.00. It works great, very stable, you can roll the jack around with the bike in the air.
I found a used Pibull on CL locally. Paid a little bit more, but it does have the air lift option. Love it so far!

Guy bought it, then triked his 2 bikes, then he didn't need the lift anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

i use a mohawk 7000 lb lift. you can walk under it if you want it works on trikes too. but i like the one six made. just mount and electric lift in the floor now thats cool. i want one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.