Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought an 83 Aspy and am going through it as it has 114K and was parked for a while. I had been thinking about getting one of those jacks/lifts but the ones I've seen have a flat platform and are pictured lifting a bike that has nothing below the frame. As I look at mine the lift would have the exhaust or the engine on the platform which doesn't seem to be wise. Do you lift owners have blocks or adapters so that you're pushing against the frame or do you lift by the exhaust or engine?:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

On many motorcycles you have to use blocks of wood to keep the jack level and away from the exhaust, oil filter etc. It's impossible for a jack of this type to fit clear of obstructions on all motorcycles. Lots of bikes have sloping engine sumps, or round ones and it stands to reason you will need to either buy or make wedges to suit them.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've used my bike jack many timeson the 1200 and the 1500 without shim blocks and have had no damage to the headers.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

..... you certainly CAN lift a Wing on its down tubes/forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif,and its center stand...and many people do.. Its just that I don't like the look of that ,especially since  I am often wrestling the bike back and forth a bit to ..... say..... remove a rear wheel/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif... I use a made-from-internet-plans homemade jack.($22).. so this was not a big leap/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif.. but .. get two scrap hardwood  3/4 by 1.5  by 8 inches long ... oak works well... probably free at  your local home depot  in the scrap bin... and 4 bolts, 4 nuts, 8 flat washers, and 4 lock washers (probably NOT free ).. and cut then to length so they just clear the inside of your headers, and rest on your centerstand..  and drill 4 holes, and inset the heads of bolts in to the hardwood  by a bit.. and there you are...  /forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies/cooler.gif Since I drilled all the holes in the original/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif .. I had no hesitation in drilling 4 more... If you paid $150 at sears.. you might be a little hesitant..  But believe me... hardwood blocks on the engine    feels much more stable, than a  steel jack top  sitting on a rounded header down pipe .../forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies2/3sum.gif SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey SilverDave :waving:Welcome to the land of a Hundred Thousand Welcomes and also to this great Goldwing Forum. :clapper:Sorry for the late welcome, but as you can imagine i have a number of meetings to attend :3sum:with the wingnut in Dublin and it takes up a huge amount of my precious time. :blackstuff:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with Paul, but also want to say thanks to SilverDave for a very savy "Heads-up" solution to this problem. I'm heading for Lowe's Bye...... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Shooter, from looking at your avatar, I'd say that unusual forces on your bikes frame would be the least of your worries.:grinner:

I have a Sears lift and yes it does lift on the headers. My bike sat on it for a month and I've not seen any adverse effects to date.

It would be nice if we could lift on the frame, but I think that might be more tippy from side to side.

Anyway,

Hobie

disclaimer: any advice offered by Hobie should be considered suspect:baffled:use at your own risk:bananas:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

The lift I bought at Sam's Club has some attachments that will allow you to lift at frame points and are fully adjustable. I've not used them, but according to the instructions that were on the box when I bought it, thats is what they were for. I guess that if I was going to leave it on the lift for an extended time, I might use them to keep the strain off the exhaust.:)

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

My Sam's lift was apparently purchased before the extra hardware. I was leery about lifting the 1100 with the weight on the exhaust headers at first but it has been up there many times now with no damage I can find. Yesterday I even had the engine running and in gear for several minutes while I was flushing out the final drive.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My Sears jack has rubber pads on the lifting struts:rollingeyes:. I fired up my scoot to check everything out. Soon, I smelled something that didn't have a properaroma to it. Egads, it was the rubber melting around the exhaust pipes.

Or, uh, that's what a buddy told me happened to him:p.

Hobie

:doh::bash2::blowingup::headbanger::headbanger::madeyes:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

I have a Sams lift also and have had no problem . It must be earlier design as I do not have any weight on headers.:jumper:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hey Hobie, the acrid smell of rubber burning. Or is it napalm in the morning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.