Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings, I am new to this forum, and I am getting started with a question. Is there a motorcycle lift or jack under US $200 that you would recommend for a GL1500? As I write this, Sears.com has two Craftsman motorcycle lifts on sale. One is about US $70 and the “professional” version is about US $160. My local Sam’s store has a Goodyear Racing motorcycle lift for about US $70. All of them claim to be able to lift up to 1,500 pounds, but I a not sure if they are reliable for a Goldwing (Aspencade 1994). Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experience.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Rogerider wrote:
Greetings, I am new to this forum, and I am getting started with a question. Is there a motorcycle lift or jack under US $200 that you would recommend for a GL1500? As I write this, Sears.com has two Craftsman motorcycle lifts on sale. One is about US $70 and the “professional” version is about US $160. My local Sam’s store has a Goodyear Racing motorcycle lift for about US $70. All of them claim to be able to lift up to 1,500 pounds, but I a not sure if they are reliable for a Goldwing (Aspencade 1994). Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experience.
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Rodgerider!:waving::waving:

This is the Jack I'm using now on my 1993 Aspy. It fits it fine and the bike sits quite solidly on it. I think it was around $60-75 but can't remember. It's a Chinese made unit like most. There are a lot of these around with different brand names. I also had a Harbor Freight jack, it was a little bit smaller in the lifting pads, the two black bars on top and it let the bike down a little fast, but it worked well and I felt safe using it. When I do work that might take some serious pulling and pushing on the bike I slip a block under the rear or front wheel, opposite the end I'm working on just so the bike doesn't get rocking, but most of the time the jack alone does just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Roger, RedWing will be along anytime now with the official welcome cart. On the cycle jack, I agree with Exavid, I am using the same style as in his picture, I got it from Sam's club and have been very happy with it. I just, this week,changed a rear tire with all the obligatory maintenance that goes along with that and rebuilt my shocks with the bike up on the jack for about three days. I was careful to get the lift points right so when I removed so much weight from the back the bike would remain stable. Please understand that this type of jack will lift a GoldWing by the exhaust headers unless you build special blocks to pick it up elsewhere. This is not a bid deal, most of us do not have the blocks.

·
Old School Guru
7,886 Posts
imported post

Like exavid, I use one that I bought at Sam's Club, but mine came with some adjustable pieces that allow it to clear the headers. Works real good. Have also used it to lower a 4k Onan generator out of my old motorhome, and one of my frieds used it as a transmission jack, so it has many uses.:D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I've used the same type of lift that Exavid shows for several years now and never had a problem. Just use ratcheting nylon straps to secure the bike to the jack otherwise it could slip off if you were shaking the bike while working on it. Don't run the bike with the nylon straps touching the pipes because they will melt and break.

Lifting by the frame is the best method but a lot of guys just lift from the headers which is OK when they are in good condition, but, once the headers get a little rusty you could conceivably cause some leaks in you exhaust system. So be careful.

As a safety measure, look over the jack occasionally to see if all the pins and clips and nuts and bolts are all where they are supposed to be.I've seen some come apart due to neglect.You sure don't want a Gold Wing jumping on you while you're working on it. Don't forget to lube the jack's moving parts also.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I just slide the jack in with the rider peg just a bit to the left of center between the lift bars. I don't pad anything, the pads lift on the centerstand and the headers. If the headers are corroded so much the jack damages them I'd say they need replacement anyway. So far with many trips up on the jack neither the 1200 I had or the 1500 I have show any damage whatsoever. I prefer to lift on the headers because it gives the widest possible bearing for stability.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank you all for your solid advice. I went ahead and bought one of the twoCraftsman lifts that were onsale. Paid $69.99 plus taxes, and it really loks very good. I will start using soon, and will report back to the discussion. It is great to have this wonderful resource. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

R

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

As a further note on safety clean the floor area around and under the bike whenever you use the jack since the weight and small castors will easily get stuck when trying to climb over debris. I use a similar jack on a GL1100 and have made wooden blocks that go under and in the arch of the all night stand and I do not touch the exhaust pipes, another block is slipped in and uses the frame. Thus with 2 blocks of 2 x 6, I raise the unit without touching the exhaust but use the mid section of the motor and the frame. Be cautious with the down stroke, since it can be fast, to slow it down I use a vice grip clamped on the foot lever and the added length allows me to throttle the down stroke in a slower manner.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

If you are handy with wood, and a drill... ... Then you should try this :       I made two hardwood  (beech ,I think ) bearing blocks  for my jack , about  3/4" by 1.5 " by 7 inches long... The  4 bolts to fasten them to the actual original lifting surface are inset  below the surface of the hardwood, /forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif, and the length ,and thickness is determined to be just long enuf... or I guess short enuf/forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif to fit the jack surface head between the  two header downtubes.. This gives the  widest bearing surface without lifting on the downtubes... the rear plate is bearing on the center stand, and is just to bring both plates level...... Be sure to strap the bike down when its up on the jack... or in my case.. I strap it UP to the ceiling beams of my garage with 6 trailer tiedown straps /forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Rogerider,

I have the cheaper of the Sears Craftsman jacks and like it very well. I started off with the one that you can get through Harbor Freight but I used it once and took it back. When you hit the pedal to let the bike down, the H.F. jack seems to let the bike down a little hard. The Sears Craftsman jack does not do this.

Also, the Craftsman comes with 2 ratcheting tie downs that you can use to secure your bike to the jack. My 84 Aspencade sits very nicely on the jack and is very solid. I have had the bike up on the jack and moved the bike all around the shop while it was up in the air. Very well built jack and I recommend it.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I need to check out that craftsman, I have the hf kinda jack and there aint no way I would try to push the bike around, even if its cheap wheels would still roll with all that weight it isnt stable enough without its outriggers extended. ride safe, big daddy

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

Anyone have pictures of a 1100 up on a Jack, I have a craftsman one I picked up the other day and just want to make sure it's set right

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The four cylinder bikes all sit on the jack pretty much the same. One jack arm should be pretty much under the hinge point of the side stand or a wee bit aft and the other arm under the forward part of the engine. It doesn't hurt at all to lift on the header pipes, they'll take the load easily. If one dented it would mean it's pretty well rusted out. I usually start with the jack under the bike from the right side and the bike on the side stand. slip the jack in and lift the jack arms just enough to contact the frame on the far side of the bike. Make sure there's a little bit of the arms sticking out past the frame and pipes. Lift slowly holding onto the bike by the handle bar to steady it. The tires should come up off the floor at the same time. If one wheel lags, lower the bike and adjust the bike toward the low wheel. Once the bike is sitting level on the jack lift it high enough to engage the jack locking pawls. I usually just raised the bike up to full height. You can strap the bike down or not, I hardly ever did the bike will sit pretty solidly on the jack. I often moved bikes around my shop while they were on the jack. It makes a nice easy way to turn a bike so you can ride into a garage, turn the bike and leave the garage riding forward. Also makes it easy to get the bike up close to a wall. Don't forget to lower the side stand before letting the bike down.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

ex I did that and it seemed like she wanted to pivot back some, or am I just being paranoid. the 1100 was up on a jack before, I just didn't pay attention as to how Broke did it.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i just built a wooden plat form it take at least 2 people to load my 1100 on to it it stands about 4ft high it has tie downs and all that jazz plus it subs as a workbench when im not using it as a bike stand

it only cost me 20bucks to make a heck of alot cheaper than a lift im only going to use maybe once a year

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

I have issues even getting my bike on the center stand on my own so I 'cheat' by using the cheap jack to get it high enough so center stand can move freely, put stand down and then lower it on to the stand. After this I move the jack out of the way. It's an extra step or two but then I have the bike stable (I usuall block the front tire with 2x4sscrewed into shed flooraccross front and back) and can work on it without issue. If I was really pushing/pulling Iwould strap thecenter stand to front frameor crash bars. Basicallymy jackis my helping handfor lifting and setting up, not my stand as such. It's worth noting that my shed is barely big enough for mybike so that's part of the reason Iwant the jack out of the way ASAP. Basically I need a bigger shed/garage and then I could really go to town :)

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

What is the Best jack to use to lift Goldwing trike with the running boards to lift so that rear tires can be changed ?????????????

Could someone email me..............am desperate for answer !!!!!!!

[email protected]

Many thanks !!!!!!!!
Terry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.