Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed out the pads and did some rehab on my old gl1100 about a month ago. I was doing it in the parking lot of my apt and they are pretty anal about it so i just wanted to get it done as quick as i could.

Of course it never goes as smooth as you want so I had to do it and re do it a few times to get it done.

Ever since then i have had an odd squeal and also some pulsating brakes. Never like that before. now it starts floating around on the freeway like something is pulling somehow on the front end. Pretty bad at low speeds too.

Figured i would take a look today.

Took the one side off, seemed a bit dirty, cleaned it up reassembled, no problem. This was the original "bad side" so i suspected this was the problem area.

realized there were a couple little metal pieces in there that actually were filthy and looked like they might actually do something.

They go on the ends of the caliper and the pads slide on them and it looks like it gives them the ability to retract smoothly.

Hmm, I remember putting it back together last month and once I looked down i had and extra so i just threw it in the toolbox and forgot it.

Took the other side apart and sure enough, thats where the little plate goes.

Cleaned everything up and put it ALL back together and it works fine now.

I guess the one side was not retracting properly because the little metal plate was not in there.

I feel alot better now.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Good advice, Am glad that you did not find out the really hard way about that piece needing to be there.:claps:
When I am doing a cabinet or putting back together whatever, I do not worry too much about an extra bolt or screw. But when it comes to the motorcycle or truck, I will tear it all back down again to find where I messed up and forgot to put that certain bolt back.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Just bought a GL1100 a year ago and the front brakes were ok, they just squealed a lot. I took them apart and found the little metal pieces weren't there. Got new ones from Honda and they don't squeal now. It is easier to reassemble if you don't install the shims though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.