Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a bike I need transported from the Chicago area to Albany, NY area. I have tried to figure riding out to get it round trip is 1700 miles, and 2 hotel nights. Roughly around $800 with meals. I also don't get a lot of time off from work, but I could do it. Checked on flying into Chicago Midway and renting a U Haul or Budget truck. They want around $800 one way to NY! So a motorcycle shipper may be the best way to go. The problem is, I have heard or read stories of dissatisfied people using shippers. I don't want this bike ruined. I don't care if it takes a couple of weeks, as long as it arrives safely. The problem is that picking a shipper is a "poke and hope". Anyone know any "reputable" shippers going from the Chicago area to the NY area?

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

United Van Lines Has a Special unit that transports on palletts all tied down and secured they moved my trike.
They are Bonded and insured. Now Im not promoting anyone or recomending anyone but just that you asked and Ill share what I know.
The driver came to me and after intros, He had a 2 or three page check list visual inspection and any little thing was noted even years of normal wear and tear.swirls in paint and such its graded overall condition. any cracks or chips. broken stuff is noted and checked or circled on the diagrams. and the person meeting driver has to sign that he was there and did the inspection. If any thing is overlooked by the inspector.and found not documented when you recieve it the shipper is responsiable for anything.
The only reason Im shareing this with you is I personaly had experience with this one. Im shure there are more companys or indapendents out there that are repatable .
Best of luck with the move.
and If i lived closer to your area . I have my own pick up and trailer. and have transported many through the years. Im retired now and would be happy to do it for any one within a 400 or 500 mile radius of my home for gas and a little donation to my meals and motel. just to help some one out. but I dont have the bond and Insurance backing me like the big guys.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I used to use HAULBIKES.COM to move about ten goldwings a year. But no more.

The broke a customers windshield on me, and falsified the report to show that it was broken when picked up.

my customer, the one who hired them, has both reports. A copy of my original that showed the windshield in good order, and his own copy with the letter "K" added to indicate broken. Even when faced with the facts, they declined to make it right.

I'd hire Bubba and a pickup truck before them.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Fly the red eye to Chicago and ride it home. You could do it in one day if you pushed yourself. Put a one man hikers tent, a air mattress in your carry on bag, buy some 5 hour energy and make it a fun 2 day trip. You could even sleep in some Goldwingers back yard and mooch a meal while enjoying visiting. Take pictures and write a story for here. A trip of a lifetime.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Depending on when you want it done. I'd be willing to go pick it up and ride it to you if you covered the gas to do it and a bus ticket home. And I guess I'd prolly need to eat somewhere along the way.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
Depending on when you want it done. I'd be willing to go pick it up and ride it to you if you covered the gas to do it and a bus ticket home. And I guess I'd prolly need to eat somewhere along the way.
^^^^^^^
This message is from a good/dependable guy that has carte blanche to ride any bike I've got any time.

·
Just one of the guys
4,837 Posts
imported post

I am not too far from Halfway between you and Chicago. Just 10 Minutes south of I86. Got 2 acres, even have a spare room and a garage if the weather is not behaving. Plus I have a truck and enclosed trailer if there were problems and you are near here.

Let me know if I can be of service.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

AMA members get a discount.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
imported post

I think you need to ask yourself a few questions and how much it is with to you.

1. Your leaving a citywith a population of 304,204 in 2010. Are you comfortable riding in that level of traffic? Do you have a simple way to get back to your NY home?

So how much getting ride ofthis hassle worth to you?

2. You are picking up your bike in a city of over 3 million people. The airport your pick up and ride your pick to is Midway which is on the far south side of the cities. Do to Lake Michigan the cities has grown mostly west. Including the collar counties the population goes to over 5 million. Are you comfortable riding in thatlevel of traffic. then compare it to where you are living. The Inter estates are all Tollways and traffic is nothing like Interstates in non-major cities. What is this worth to you.

So how much is this worth to you?

If you have another rider your bike to Albany and another friend pick up the bike from Midway, you would be foolish not to get them on your insurance for just that time period.

How much is that worth to you?

Optionals in no order?

Option 1.

Have someone you trust with your life, wait till April/May and sell the bike are buy a replacement bike?

Option 2.

Pay the extra to have someone pickup and deliver to your door your bike. Max insurance but most costly. Much less stress and you have another other moving issues to deal with. If you use this option, choose one company that you have hear of or one that real friend have used. Virtual are very helpful but not the same as people you know that ride. Also local bike dealers you have dealt with.

Option 3.

Leave the bike for the big move and comeback and make a ride of it getting it back to wind city area.

Good luck and I hope it turns into something you enjoy.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

I have said it before and I am sure I will be saying it again, the people on this forum impress me everyday.:bow:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

They are the best! Appreciate all your replies. I will see as the weather gets better, what I will do. Amazing how a thing like motorcycle shipping is not highly endorsed. For one thing, Ilooked up countless reviews of shippers and quite a few had negative comments, and the ones that were positive looked fake. As far as the big shippers, I was afraid that I would get people going through the motions rather than people who cared for my bike. Broke Winger, you are a good person for offering your time and services, thanks!

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

bagelboy wrote:
I have a bike I need transported from the Chicago area to Albany, NY area. I have tried to figure riding out to get it round trip is 1700 miles, and 2 hotel nights. Roughly around $800 with meals. I also don't get a lot of time off from work, but I could do it. Checked on flying into Chicago Midway and renting a U Haul or Budget truck. They want around $800 one way to NY! So a motorcycle shipper may be the best way to go. The problem is, I have heard or read stories of dissatisfied people using shippers. I don't want this bike ruined. I don't care if it takes a couple of weeks, as long as it arrives safely. The problem is that picking a shipper is a "poke and hope". Anyone know any "reputable" shippers going from the Chicago area to the NY area?
im in the chicago area and could ride it to you for expenses there and a plane ticket back.

what kind of bike is it?

let me know

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

If this is a 'wing that you are talking about, then obviously shipping it is sacreligous and definitely frowned upon. The solution is simple. make a trip out of it. Come to Canada! All the beds in our house are currently spoken for, but we certainly could accomodate a tent and provide a hot meal!!

Chicago to Toronto =day one, Toronto to NY = day two!!

If it is not a wing, I guess we could turn a blind eye and still provide some degree of hospitality. PM me if interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.