Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, im Sam - ill try to keep this as brief and to the point as possible so you dont have to read through a massive topic. Im aware its a bit impolite to make this my first post so here is a bit of info about me:

My name is Sam Hanvy, and I am a product design student in my third year of university at Liverpool John Moores University. I am currently working on my final project, and I would really appreciate some feedback from bike riders like yourselves about my idea – which is a trailer for motorcycles. As a motorcyclist myself (currently off the road) I appreciate that the idea of attaching a tow bar and trailer on your bike could be seen by some as a terrible idea, but I think that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

So, if you have time I would really appreciate your thoughts on the following:

1) Do you own or have you seen people using trailers?

2) If you have seen any, did they have any issues or problems that you would like to see solved?

3) Do you think that the product could solve some of the problems you see in your work – for example: people having limited heavy weather clothes due to luggage constraints.

4) Do you personally think that the idea has merit?

5) Do you like the idea of having interchangeable compartments - for example: spares and toolkit module, or a camping module, or a suitcase module – allowing the customer to choose what they need?

Attached to this post is a copy of my initial attempts to design some solutions, they are included in case you are curious about the idea (I thought it would be nice) – I will gladly accept any advice or criticism you have about them.

Thank you for taking the time to read this topic– it means a lot to me that you have.

Yours sincerely

Sam Hanvy

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Yes I pull a trailer and have for many years now. Mine isappx 20ft[suP]3[/suP]

You should consider an option for vast open cargo. Many use the trailer to carry bulky items such as golf clubs, 96 qt ice chests, camping gear, etc.

I noticed the tongue on the trailer. I recommend that the tongue attach very low on the bike. I have mine attach at the rear axle height so that any tongue weigh can not be transfered in a manner to make the bike top heavy. You also want a reasonable long distance between the trailer axle and the bike to limit side sway of the trailer at higher speeds. Include a soft suspension preferably with shocks. Don't go any smaller than 8" wheels as pot / chuck holes cause the trailer to jerk the bike. Keep the trailer light weight. NO heavy materials. If you choose to put brakes on the trailer, do some considerable research on the topic. If using electric brakes,a sudden strongpulse, if in a corner could cause the bike to loose control. Trailer lids with spring assit is much nicer than lifting the hatch without them. Limit the trailer to no narrower than 3ft and no wider than 4 foot wide. Three foot for stability issues and 4 foot as that is a standard size walk thru door for garages and yard gates. Make the trailer high enough to be easily seen by other motorists. Include many lights for the same reason. Keep in mind that most bikes have a limited amount of electrical capacity to carry the additional lighting so many have used LED lights. Include decent fenders for the tires as nobody particularly cares cleaning road crude off of the nice paint jobs. Interior lighting is a nice convenience but not necessary.

Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Since you are in the UK, trailer length and width over there is more restrictive than here in the US. I'd suggest attending a few bike rallys over there to check out as many bikes as you can that have hitches on them and the trailers they pull.

Check the events section for rally listings.

A lot of us on here have built our own trailers from kits we modify to pull behind our bikes. So do a search of the forum using trailer or trailers as your key words. There are a lot of pics included in most of the posts concerning trailers.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Lil Pete, good page for pics of trailers.

Most everyone I ride with has a trailer. Thay are handy for multiple day trips. I like 12 inch wheels & leaf springs. I also made a rear bumper from 2 inch ABS [plumbing] pipe to mount a reflector and 2 reflective sight poles ... so I can back it up.

It still needs a front leg to keep thetrailer level when parked.

Here is a pic of the one I made this past summer. The cargo box is 20ft[suP]3[/suP] and 67 inches long. It is 43 inches wide with an extended tongue. I may have it open from the side as it is difficult to get to things when reaching in from the rear.

Attachments

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Though Popeye's trailer isn't that color anymore. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.