Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wyatt Earp, the 19[suP]th[/suP] century American gunfighter and popular legend, was once asked why he had moved about so constantly over the face of the North American continent. "I have always been, " said Earp, "A man of restless heart."

Restless Heart -- an affliction or a choice? I, too, have always been restless (although never in the same league with Wyatt!) .... I need to move, always and often..... My wife recognizesthis needand quickly responds to it: "Get out of here," she will say, "go for a ride, go walking, go skiing,go somewhere -- you are driving me nuts!" I think it is a born affliction, a matter of genes. My wife likes to travel and will do so when she can, but she doesn't need to .... I must travel, and will do so regardless of the circumstance! If I am moving, I am happy; if I am not, I am not. Pure and simple...

Regardless, has there ever been a better machine for Restless Hearts than the modern motorcycle? Swift, reliable, instantly ready, instantly capable of changing our horizons...... how easy it is for us to cross mountains, plains, and continents! I have never felt the same about other forms of modern transportation: airplanes smother me, cars bore me, trains are tedious.... but the motorcycle! Instant control and power, individual freedom, the inexpressible joy of being stronger and faster and more capable than we actually are. Riding a motorcycle and skiing down mountains give me the same joy, the same feeling. I will ski and will ride bikes as long as I can, until my dying breath, until my Restless Heart ceases it's beat.......

I am a lucky man, living in a lucky place, during lucky times!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

niceley put .

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

:)another fine post:clapper:reading the bit about having a restless heart, and is it a affliction,or do you have a choice,reminds me of the Wildebeest in Africa,,, it has something in it, that keeps it on the move all its life,,, it wanders up one end of the country, then turns and wanders back,,,,,,keep on wandering and being restless CJ,, it looks like its doing you good:)

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack,

You are absolutely correct...Some of us are born with a restless heart..It's who we are and there is no denying it..I'm an outside sales person for an ltl trucking company and my sales territory encompases over 30,000 square miles... I put in excess of 40,000 miles per year on my company car...and all that I want to do is ride my Goldwing after work everyday and on the weekends..I've only been riding a motorcycle for 6 months, and I've already put well over 10,000 on my Goldwing...and I thought that I hated motorcycles..and I didn't buy my first bike until I was 50 years old!!! And I screwed up and bought a Goldwing, and now my restless ass is spoiled..Don't even talk to me about a Harley...or any other type of loud thumper..The only other bike that I might consider would be some sort of BMW, but I don't think they could compare to my 25 year old Goldwing..

I put well in excess of 1500 miles on my car this week, so how do I spend my weekends?? I just got back from a WONDERFUL 265 mile jaunt in 45 degree weather on my baby....and I can't wait for the sun to come up tomorrow..

I'm definitely a restless heart and a Goldwing junkie..I don't care what they say, herion couldn't be this good..

Best Regards,

Chester Gunn/Chula, GA

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I think you've put it very well. You are lucky, most wives wouldn't say just go, they would be loading up too. Even when they know we need a little time alone.

I like it the way Tommy Lee Jones said it in the movie "The Missing"

How an old indian woke up and walked out to see a hawk. As it flew off he followed it and never came back. In the after life his wife ask him "why didn't you return?"

His answer was "Well that Hawk just kept flying."

It will be a sad world when we can no longer follow the wild birds that lead us to far horizons.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Wyatt Earp, the 19[suP]th[/suP] century American gunfighter and popular legend, was once asked why he had moved about so constantly over the face of the North American continent. "I have always been, " said Earp, "A man of restless heart."

Restless Heart -- an affliction or a choice? I, too, have always been restless (although never in the same league with Wyatt!) .... I need to move, always and often..... My wife recognizesthis needand quickly responds to it: "Get out of here," she will say, "go for a ride, go walking, go skiing,go somewhere -- you are driving me nuts!" I think it is a born affliction, a matter of genes. My wife likes to travel and will do so when she can, but she doesn't need to .... I must travel, and will do so regardless of the circumstance! If I am moving, I am happy; if I am not, I am not. Pure and simple...

Regardless, has there ever been a better machine for Restless Hearts than the modern motorcycle? Swift, reliable, instantly ready, instantly capable of changing our horizons...... how easy it is for us to cross mountains, plains, and continents! I have never felt the same about other forms of modern transportation: airplanes smother me, cars bore me, trains are tedious.... but the motorcycle! Instant control and power, individual freedom, the inexpressible joy of being stronger and faster and more capable than we actually are. Riding a motorcycle and skiing down mountains give me the same joy, the same feeling. I will ski and will ride bikes as long as I can, until my dying breath, until my Restless Heart ceases it's beat.......

I am a lucky man, living in a lucky place, during lucky times!

Maybe we should call you Cousin Lucky????:cheeky1:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Words that we all can relate to. I always knew I wanted to ride motorcycles, and then when I got started I knew I never wanted to stop. Then I went on the greatest adventure of my life ( rode out west) and now I only want it so much more.

It's like something else that comes to mind ;)Once you get a taste of it,,, you always have to have it.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Words that we all can relate to. I always knew I wanted to ride motorcycles, and then when I got started I knew I never wanted to stop. Then I went on the greatest adventure of my life ( rode out west) and now I only want it so much more.

It's like something else that comes to mind ;)Once you get a taste of it,,, you always have to have it.
A good sippin whiskey ? ;)

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Lois recognizes my need to ride. She takes it for granted that I will be riding if the weather cooperates. It was the same when I was flying. I would fly every day I could. I now ride every chance I can; if only for an hour or just to get the tank filled. I rode a couple hours Sunday after we got back home from a Christmas gathering in Gatlinburg. The Gerbings heated clothing kept me nice and warm without all the bulk of many layers of clothing. I could have ridden all night. Restless heart or a wayward wind; same thing. The need to see the scenery going by with the wind in your hair and a smile on your face.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

It's a funny thing about restlessness, none in my family have it except for me. I have been gone from home (Detroit 'burbs) since I was 19, joined the Army and spent 30 years running around the world, I got to see all kinds of things. Even since I retired I have changed jobs 5 times, and I'm making it number 6 on January 1. Many of these adventures of life have been seated on top of some kind of two wheeled vehicle, self-powered and engine powered, but many more were involved with cheating death on a daily basis in the skys in some kind of mighty flying machine. I guess that is why I am so comfortable on my 1800, after a 19 year break in riding (no particular reason except for fighting bad guys in lands far away). It allows the restlessness in me to get a quick fix and calm me back down.

:action:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Maybe in the future when they have all our electrical connections between our ears figured out, it might turn out to be a combination of the restless heart and part mental.

My grandmother lived here in Florida for 98 years. Only time she left the state was when my Dad took her up into the smokies. She had 14 kids and only one of them had it. Uncle Magellen joined the merchant marines and traveled the world several times.

My brother travels to get to some hunting, but wouldn't drive there if he had too. I guess I'm the one the roaming bug bit. Shame is it bit me solate in life.

Some people just don't get the urge to travel.

My dad swore up and down that he made a promise to God. Somewhere in North Africa during WWII he promised that if he could get back to Myakka City, that's where God could find him.

He didn't leave the state but three times after that. It was incredible for him to go twenty miles to visit his brother in the next town.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Big Kahuna, I know your story. The first thing I did when I came home from Nam was buy a bike. It was the only therapy I ever got and it still helps me fight off the things that still haunt me and soothes my restless itch as well.

Bernie

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Big Kahuna, I know your story. The first thing I did when I came home from Nam was buy a bike. It was the only therapy I ever got and it still helps me fight off the things that still haunt me and soothes my restless itch as well.

Bernie
Me, too.......

First was a 1966 CL160, and then a CL305.....

Riding a good road on a good bike cures just about anything........

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Dubswing wrote:

Bernie
Me, too.......

First was a 1966 CL160, and then a CL305.....

Riding a good road on a good bike cures just about anything........
Yep,

Got the 305 Scrambler first, after Nam..

Had a half dozen before that...

Then, instead of a good road, I got stupid and went off road with them....

During a race on a 250 Bultaco, I ended up in a mesquite tree. Took me forever to get me and the bike out. Got over the racing fever :), decided a Honda 360 wasn't a bad road bike afterall and been onroad bikes ever since...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Seems a lot of us Nam Vets ride in the Patroit Guard. I for one, do not want our Vets to be treated the way we were when we came home. And the appreciation the families have for us is amazing. I make as many missions as I can, hard to do working 10 to 12 hours a day, but it is still rewarding for me when I can participate. Even restless hearts and wayward winds need something to hold on to.

Bernie

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Dubswing wrote:
Seems a lot of us Nam Vets ride in the Patroit Guard. I for one, do not want our Vets to be treated the way we were when we came home. And the appreciation the families have for us is amazing. I make as many missions as I can, hard to do working 10 to 12 hours a day, but it is still rewarding for me when I can participate. Even restless hearts and wayward winds need something to hold on to.

Bernie

Another thing that may prove therapeutic is joining your local VFW. I only joined a few years back..... we do burials for vets, parades, etc...... This year after our annual VFW parade, I was standing with my wife in the Albertson's parking lot, wearing my ribbons and crap, watching vets and boy scouts and assorted odds and ends milling about. The local R.O.T.C. unit from Central Washington University had also marched, and as a few of these youngsters were walking by on their way back to campus, I nodded to one and said,

"You take care of yourself over there, Young Troop. Take care of yourself and take care of your men.... keep your head down..... none of this hero bullshit!"

The young guy did a quick column left, came over, stared right into my eyes.... and grapped my hand.

"Thank you, Sir," he said. "Thanks for all you did for your country and for us."

He then turned to his fellow cadets.

"Get over here, goddamn it, and shake this old soldier's hand.... he deserves it, they all deserve it......."

After the sixth or seventh kid had shaken my hand and thanked me, I couldn't take it anymore and burst into tears..... just couldn't hold it back..... I saw the faces of forty years ago in their eyes, just as clear as day, just as if ithappened yesterday...... My wife, concerned, finally steered me away and got me out of there. It was incredibly sudden, incredibly intense.....

One of the best days of my life.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Mel,

There always seems to be several VFW men at most of the functions we attend. I was considering the possibility of joining and thought, that is for old men and it dawned on me, I am an old man and they need men to step up and take their place. You, me, other vets can't let America forget what Veterans mean to our country. All of the traveling we did in service to our country contributed to our restless hearts. Whether flying in to Lybia to get our troops when Kadafi kicked us out or jumping between Laos, Cambodia, Nam and Thailand stirred the thoughts of what might be over the next horizon, around the next curve and I have wondered ever since. For a West Virginia coal miner's son that had never been out of McDowell county the world opened up before my eyes. I never got back to my roots; maybe someday I will get back and ride with my nephews and revisit the womb of my existance. And like the womb, W.Va. has always represented warmth and safety to me.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Great thread starter Jack. And great replies from the board. I just read it from start to the post just prior to this one. Actually brought tears to my eyes - seriously.

The American spirit is quite free, alive and well. It "allows" and fosters the wandering spirit of which you speak -I believe. I have never served, my life took a different path.Too young to be registered, then driven towards the private sector.Yet I owe all I am and all I can be to you and the other veterans who gave their all.

Thank you and all who served for their service.I am forever aware of your sacrafice and committment to US andgrateful .As can probably be read in most of my posts - I truly relish the gift our veterans have provided -the freedom to follow my "wandering spirit".

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Amen Blackdog!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.