Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 9yo niece asked me this today, what's the difference between a motorcyclist and a biker? I had to think about it for a minute. To me a motorcyclist is anyone riding a motorcycle, and a biker is someone who lives the life, wears the t shirts and hangs out with bikers at the bikers bar.

Or they could be one and the same and you don't need to wear the shirts and hang out at the bikers bar to be a biker. What do y'all think?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I ride a motorcycle.

Don't need or want a moniker.

Different names mean different things to different people.

I'll just leave it at that.:cool:

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Choppas
My opinion: Owned a couple Harley's. Was I a BIKER then, but not anymore??? (PS: I still have a drawer full of black T-shirts LOL) I don't need a title, but I guess people refer to 'Bikers' as REAL motorcycle riders. Assuming for arguments sake that is true, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "Live the life". (Whole 'nuther discussion) To me, the PRIMARY qualification is that you RIDE. Doesn't matter what you ride. That and having a true PASSION for bikes, and bike people. Heck, maybe the qualification should be how many miles you have under yer belt!!! In that case, Goldwing riders are far and away the 'true' bikers!

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

:action:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I think Hollywood named us, whatever "us" is? I think most people that do not ride see us as all the same, a Biker. We put different names on ourselves for whatever reason.It used to be that a person that picked up your garbage, was a garbage man. Now they are called Sanitation Engineers. Bikers are now Motorcycle Enthusiasts.:? I just wanna ride...:action:...

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
imported post

One day last week I took my ole 86 out for a ride north of town. On the way back home 3 lanes of traffic came to a complete stop just a few feet in front of IHOP. I counted them so I know it was 36 scooters and not one of them was doubled up. Old and young alike was smiling up a storm. When the last one left the parking lot the traffic started up again. I was truly impressed with the patience and thoughtfulness of these 4 wheel drivers. Living another 2 miles down the road gave me a chance to watch them as they pulled into Burger King. I can't imagine what the employees thought when they saw them coming. I'm now wondering why they left IHOP.
Made me feel good to be a "motorcyclist".

Harold:ROFL:

·
Very active member
305 Posts
imported post

its a good question.... there will be many opinions on this just as there are on all of these topics. thats the great thing about a forum, especially this forum. now here is my opinion. when i think biker i think hells angels, or the del fuegos, i love wild hogs. any of those a holes who think their crap doesnt stink because they ride a harley. when i hear motorcyclist, i think someone who is a motorcycle enthusiast, keeping up with any bikes that come out or have been out, someone who loves bikes no matter what they are. someone who lives to ride and rides to live. i do it for the sheer enjoyment of it. to feel the freedom on two wheels. once again, this is just my opinion. to you, i could be completely wrong.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

I have ridden motorcycles for over 50yrs. I have seen all types of motorcycles and all types of people riding. It's the fact that you ride and not what you ride.It's the same windno matter what you ride.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I was at a place in Tennessee this weekend, and they had a "Bike show" and swap meet.
A few bikes that were in the bike show were Yahama, Honda, Harley, BMW and something that looked like a BMW but was a "metric". Most of the sight seeing public were H-D riders, as was the swap meet goodies...H-D items. One lady "biker" gave my wife some literature for a get-together next weekend. My wife asked what the GRMC on the paper and tee shirt meant....GRIM REAPERS MOTORCYCLE CLUB....I think they were the "bikers"!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
imported post

It used to be that a "Biker" was someone that lived the lifestyle, rode in all weather, and many times the bike was their only transportation.

A "Motorcyclist" was a fair weather rider.

A "Motorcycle Enthusiast" was someone that read all the magazines, could quote all the statistics, etc. (like a sports enthusiast), but may have never rode in his life. He just talked like it, and had the brand stickers on his back window.

Everything is all mixed together now, and none of it has any meaning.

:?

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

:waving:Iam neither of the above . I am a rider, I ride , don't bike or motorcycle but ride.:lash:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

My opinion: "bikers" are your stereotypical Hells Angels type, or those who try to copy them. They dress, look, and try to act badass. No helmets or non DOT beanies, do rags, dark wrap around sunglasses, black t shirts, leather or denim vests with patches, jeans, sometimes chaps, and boots. and usually a wallet with a big chain on it. That's what I think of when I here the term "biker"

On the other hand, "motorcyclist" conjurs up an image of a clean cut middle age guy wearing Fieldsheer, Alpinestars, and a Schuberth helmet riding a BMW sport touring bike.

I don't fit either definition, so I'll just call myself a rider as well.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Bikers and wannabes ride V twins. Usually with loud pipes and tend to park by bars and taverns. Motorcyclists ride big touring bikes like Goldwings and BMWs, though to ride a BMW touring bike in the US it's mandatory to wear Aerostitch riding gear. Goldwing riders tend to park at Dairy Queens while BMW riders are often found at Starbucks.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

To me, biker and motorcyclist are one and the same. The fact that the riders come in all shapes and sizes, and wear widely differing attire makes no difference.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

littlewing wrote:
its a good question.... there will be many opinions on this just as there are on all of these topics. thats the great thing about a forum, especially this forum. now here is my opinion. when i think biker i think hells angels, or the del fuegos, i love wild hogs. any of those a holes who think their crap doesnt stink because they ride a harley. when i hear motorcyclist, i think someone who is a motorcycle enthusiast, keeping up with any bikes that come out or have been out, someone who loves bikes no matter what they are. someone who lives to ride and rides to live. i do it for the sheer enjoyment of it. to feel the freedom on two wheels. once again, this is just my opinion. to you, i could be completely wrong.
Ditto!

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

What does it matter? Some people are going to call you a biker and some are going to call you a motorcyclist depending on how they perceive you. I both and I'm neither; but I do love to ride and ride whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Funny that such words get attached to so many that ride. My Sister and BIL have a 2010 Ultra Glide Classic and, see them on the road you would most likely label them "bikers". They have the full leathers, wear all black, and clearly look the part. But they are about as far from that as you can get.
Me? Label me a husband, father, and grandfather that just happens to own and love riding a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Call me what you want, I really don't care. I ride a motorcycle because I like it.:waving:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I ride anything, I have a Goldwing (right now in pieces) 2 cruisers, a semi-sport bike, a dual sport bike, a vintage Vespa scooter, an '08 Yamaha Vino 125 scooter, and a 1977 Puch moped. Quite a diverse collection, and I ride them all, except the moped, which I haven't ridden in a few years, other than around the block. I do keep it maintained, and ready to ride. I wear whatever I feel like wearing, other than I always wear a white full face helmet. I don't wear Aerostitch, partly because I can't afford it, but I am not one to wear name brand anything. Definitely not trendy. Even my helmet is an off brand $120 job, DOT approved.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

93Wing wrote:
Call me what you want, I really don't care. I ride a motorcycle because I like it.:waving:
+1 and be fueled and gone by the time ya figure it out.:action:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.