Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have/had one? Recommendations? Was thinking maybe electric but they are way more expensive and the same thing I have ran into with cordless tools, the battery will go bad and possibly you can't get a replacement in the future. Gas engine kits are fairly cheap and if it goes bad you can get another one, maybe a different brand but they are pretty much all the same by the looks of them. I have an old mountain bike that I would spend more on fixing the bike itself than the engine kit. Would be fun to have though, I think.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
I have a friend down in Truth or Consequences, NM that built up his own kit, he is a school teacher and says it is the perfect thing for the larger campuses .... bikes not allowed, but small scooters are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah I had a couple. A 1949 Schwinn Whizzer. It was the WZ frame made for the Whizzer kit. J engine, Hi fun head, Whizzer saddle, roller bearing crank, Whizzer 5” rear drum brake, etc. The other was a 1953 schwinn Whizzer H engine on a regular bicycle frame

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Most of the batteries are industry standard cells. Either 18650 lithium, LiFePO4, or sealed lead acid.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
668 Posts
I built one when I was 14. Took a horizontal lawn mower engine and put a centrifugal clutch on it and a Whizzer pulley on the back wheel. Steel plate inside the frame to mount the engine. Wasn't pretty but it got me around town.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
I mentioned earlier, that a friend down New Mexico way put a motor on his bicycle to ride around the college campus.

here it is. click on the White Box...

several pix of it:

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the kind of kit I'm looking at. There are several very similar, all made in (guess where) so probably not much difference.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
IIRC,
that particular one is homebrew, he told me once where the engine came from, but I don't remember anymore.

he has access to a machine shop so made it look really nice.
he is a scrounger 1st class, so probably a lot of salvage yards involved.

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Won't go up your hill Dave, especially with you and a dog in the basket ! LOL
It would go down like a bandit though. :p

• Wow
Reactions: flylow

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
701 Posts
Ryan on FortNine has an episode where he put one of those on a bicycle and I think tried to climb a mountain with it.

It was, in the end, serviceable.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
well, when it comes to electric bicycles, they are king here in Amish Country, and I think that those batteries will be available for a very long time! Holmes County, OH. It is hard to spot an Amishman who ISN'T on an electric bike; sometimes it is even hard to pass them!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
well, when it comes to electric bicycles, they are king here in Amish Country, and I think that those batteries will be available for a very long time! Holmes County, OH. It is hard to spot an Amishman who ISN'T on an electric bike; sometimes it is even hard to pass them!
so if the mode of transportation is not from an Internal Combustion engine, it is okay for the Amish to ride a bike with a motor?

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where do they charge it? They must be changing their minds on technology.

·
Premium Member
45,522 Posts
Riding through that county you will see a lot of small solar collectors at their houses. Need to keep their cell phones charged too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts