Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok Guys....:waving:......Here goesMy first question for you here.I live in the Sierra Nevadas and I'm wondering what your opinions are for the best tire, air pressure , fork airpressure, etc would be for the 81 GL1100 Standard I'm fixing up would be.I'm 6'2" & 220# and not too much of a" hot dog"(as of yet) on the throttle. Just curious about tire wear , handleing , both wet and dry roads,(hell I don't melt in the rain)All opinions greatly appreciated...(what about fork stabelizers?)

Thanks, worknfool

1981 GL1100 Standard

·
Premium Member
61,403 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard Worknfool.......
I run through your neighborhood quite often.. [Railroad Flat, West Point and good hot dogs at Blondie's]
I run with 40lbs front 42 rear, same pressure as on the flat land.. I have a Avon Venom on front.. Down to the rear marks on the side walls, still good tread in the center.. When I change I'm going to a Stone same as on the rear..
Have had great traction with the Avon across all the Sierra passes, but in dry weather..I may melt if I get wet.. This Avon was ate up in about 10k so I'm trying something different..
Fork pressure on your 1100 is different then on my 1500..Can't help there.. I do have on a Super Brace.. I think it helped more on the very slow speeds than on the turns.. It gave the bike a different feel in the turns.. Something new to get used to.. You have me by an inch, but I got you by 25 pounds................

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info Foodman. I was leaning towards a Venom but I'm just not sure yet. What did the brace do in the turns ? It's been quite awhile sence I rode also....about 15 yrs. so any info is welcome.
And Yep ! Blondies makes killer burgers to & Great Garlic Fries !.My place is just a mile from there.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've had fork braces on a couple 1100s (one was a Standard) and have one on my 1500. As far as I can see they really don't do much. Maybe make the fork feel a bit less 'springy' for slow speed maneuvering. I sold the one from the 1100. I really don't think they are worth the price. You'll find dissenting opinions here probably about fifty fifty.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

welcome to the board. i get over that way usually 88 or 50 to kyburz and across the emigrant trail or to 49a couple times a year.I like the mexican food place in sonora with the river under the streetor a big breakfast at the cafe in plymouth.I dont remember either ones name just how to get there.i rode 88 over a couple years back with the snow caverns from the plows hanging over the road at about 12 feet high. That was a trip otherthan getting spooked in some the icy spots and the curvy icy stretch around kirkwood. Hwy 4 and the sonorapass has a few dizzy spots too. .You having a standard you might consider a set of progressive coil shocks for the rear in place of the air shocks. I think you would like them.jb

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Front forks pressure is a personal thing I'd start at the high end and try 20, then 18, etc. and see what you like for general riding. Tire pressure follow manufactures recommendations but low 40's front and rear is typical.

You might want to look into resetting and /or adjusting your air mix if your are at high altitude. Do a 50 mile run and check your plugs..tan is good , gray to lean, white way too lean, and black fouled..

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

worknfool wrote:
Thanks for the info Foodman. I was leaning towards a Venom but I'm just not sure yet.
:waving:The Avon Venom is not available for the '80-'81 GL1100 but they do make a tire called the "Roadrider" for the early GoldWings. The fork pressure for all GL1100's is 14-21 psi. and air pressure for the rear shocksonthe '81 is 28-57 psi. Below is the link to the Avon site showing the tires available for the '80 & '81 GL1100.

I have Avon Venoms front and rear on my '83 Interstate and I run the recommended pressure which is: Front-40 psi, Rear-44 psi. Tire pressure varies from one brand of tire to the other. I run 18 psi in the forks and about 25 psi in the rear shocks. The '83 Standard and Interstate rear shocks can be run 0-57 psi. All other GL1100's requireair in the rear shocks if they are the stock units. The '83 is the only GL1100 that came with a fork brace.

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=fitment&method=fitments&manufacturer=31&id=702&model=&year=1981

·
Premium Member
61,403 Posts
imported post

Like exavid said, If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have bought a brace for this 1500.. It feels a little loose on the hard turns.. Like the tires aren't digging in.. It's something that wasn't there before I put the brace on.. I put a brace on my ST 1100 and I thought it made a big difference.. Go figure.. Like I said before a new learning experience.. But is a 1500, may be different on your 1100 and the way you ride.........
Have to try the garlic frys.........

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks to all of ya' for the input.It probably will be a set of "Roadriders" that I put on when I change them out. Still gotta get her running good first........hopefully the carbs I have coming in will do the trick on that part of it.A few minor things and I will be back in the saddle !
Thanks again ! worknfool,81'GL1100 STD.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.