Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Has anyone mounted a Tom Tom GPS (it has a suction cup mount and a swivel base) on a 2003 Goldwing 1800.
1) Where are the best places to mount it and?
2) what did you use for hardware to mount it?
3) Where did you get the hardware?

Another thing. I installed the power outlet in the Left side fairing pocket today. I was looking for the best spot to run a cord out of the pocket (for running the GPS). Any suggestions and ideas is appreciated.

Cheers
Bruce

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

I don't own an 1800 Bruce. Most of the Wings I see using Tom Toms don't use suction mounts, maybe they can't be trusted to stay in place.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

havent got a tom tom but do use my car satnav on screen
just remember to wet the sucktion cup it will then stick ok

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

reg wrote:
havent got a tom tom but do use my car satnav on screen
just remember to wet the sucktion cup it will then stick ok
You might want it safety wired if you use the suction cup. All it'll take is a real hard jounce when you least expect it and............ smile your on candid camera.
Go with a hard mount so you don't loose it. There are other posts if you do a search on mounting locations for GPS.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Beecas,

First of all WELCOME to the forums!!! Nice to have you aboard!

I agree with others on having the GPS securely mounted to the bike. You don't want that coming off during flight. Something bad could happen! hahaha

However, I tend to shy away from having things mounted on my handlebars that makes me have to take my eyes off the road for more than a second or so... That's why I mounted mine in the line-of-sight over the dash. Plus, this keeps the rain off of it in bad weather.

That being said, I have a 1500 and a 1100 with this setup. It works great. I don't know the layout of the dash of the 1800's and if it would be doable.

Here is a link to how I did mine..

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/124674.html

Hope this helps and at least provides you some ideas.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

I have a Tom Tom mounted on my handlebars using a RAM mount. It came complete with the longer screws needed to mount it to the brake lever/clutch lever clamps.

Works well.

Regards,

John S.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Newday777,

I wonder what the life spansare of the drivers of the bikes with that amount of crap blocking the views of the road.

A reading light too?? Unreal!! I wouldn't want him riding near me! hahahaha

Tim.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Gotta read the maps at night when the GPS is in question!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

He even has clip boards to take notes as he is listening to his wife calls him on the cell to give him the shopping list as he is on his way to the store because he forgot to take the list with him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.