Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am going to mount new tires on my bike.I read somewhere, Randakk's I believe, that soapy water can damage alloy wheels. Protectants were suggested as a viable option. Has anyone had experience with "Meguiar's" "Endurance High Gloss Gel"? Will it damage the rims on my '76 Wing?Thanks, all feedback is appreciated. Terry

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

If soapy water will damage the wheels,,,,,, then I guess you won't be able to wash them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ever:baffled:

Not trying to be a smart a$$,,, but it don't make sense to me.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It if is a concern you can use a silicone spray lubricant. That slicks a tire up better than soap.

I have started using that as mounting a Run Flat CT is quite the chore. The sidewalls are very stiff. So I started using a silicone spray as it is very slick and I also now use Dyna Beads for tire balance and did not want soap paste such as No Mar paste which is simply Glycerin soap to stick the little ceramic beads together.

Silicone should be better for the Rims too.

I think though where long term corrosion comes from on the rims is from the old sorry air compressors at gas stations. They have not been blown down for ages and if they ever did have a dryer it long ago has not worked , so each time you add air to your tires you are adding a bit of water too. With time it will corrode the Rim.

Kit

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

To me, it sounds like a good excuse to keep riding and not spend copious amounts of time cleaning. I found it again. It is under chassis/brakes, a sure way to ruin wheels. Howard Halasz was credited with the tip. He stated that, if other than chrome plated or stainless, the rim will react with sodium hydroxide (lye)and cause corrosion. That is the white powdery substance on alloy rims/wheels.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Well shut my mouth,,,,,,,,,, guess I learnt sumptin.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the replies. This is like brainstorming...all comments and ideas need to be heard. Terry

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
It if is a concern you can use a silicone spray lubricant. That slicks a tire up better than soap.

I have started using that as mounting a Run Flat CT is quite the chore. The sidewalls are very stiff. So I started using a silicone spray as it is very slick and I also now use Dyna Beads for tire balance and did not want soap paste such as No Mar paste which is simply Glycerin soap to stick the little ceramic beads together.

Silicone should be better for the Rims too.

I think though where long term corrosion comes from on the rims is from the old sorry air compressors at gas stations. They have not been blown down for ages and if they ever did have a dryer it long ago has not worked , so each time you add air to your tires you are adding a bit of water too. With time it will corrode the Rim.

Kit
Kit,
I'm curious if you like the beads at all speeds?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I second the question waiting to find out more about the beads

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

So do I like Dyna Beads at all speeds. I think so, but do bear in mind that for me a short burst and a bit of fun enjoying the acceleration of the 1800 going around a car is about as fast as I go. So 100mph is about my max speed.

I use them, have been now for about a year, I am very happy with the results. Bear in mind though I find the point of balance on the empty rim first and mark it with a spring punch so I will know the heavy point of the rim, and sometimes it is not always at the valve stem, and I mount the tire to that point.

I have no problems telling you they work, simply because they do. The thing to also be aware of is in spite of the claims of any product, no product known to mankind will ever totally prevent the cupping of motorcycle tires, so even though the sales pitch will claim this that part of it is snake oil as it is simple physics that wear the leading edge of a tire and cause it to cup. It does cut it down however, just not totally eliminate it. So much better with than without has been my result. And as tires wear and or sometimes even slip on the rim, the beads maintain the balance for the life of the tire.

If you spill them on the garage floor it is like ice skating.

They are a bit expensive but not real bad and I have figured out a way to salvage them, I just use a one inch hole saw and cut a circle out of the tire and hold the tire over a bowl and save them. So I suppose basically they will last forever.

Angle valve stems will not accept the filtered stems to prevent the beads from getting into the stem and not allowing it to seat. I did have a tire totally deflate on me once when I put a gauge to it to check the air pressure. One of the little beads got stuck in the stem and would not let it shut off. It was not a big deal I just took the stem out and cleared it and re-inflated the tire. Has never happened again, so I think that was one stuck close, a one time situation. But just to be safe, carry a stem tool, just in case.
Dyna Beads for Motorcycle Riders and Dealers

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I thinki this will be essential when I self mount my rear tire. As far as the handling I think enough is said about the 100mph. I dont expect a touring rig to be stable above 100mph.
I rather know the quality of a 70mph turn/ bank.
But you are fine with them. I will look into buying some of those

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
I second the question waiting to find out more about the beads
I love the beads. I just started running them in my LTD and right away noticed a substantial difference in ride. I have been as fast as 110mph and just as smooth as silk. I have not had any balance problems from 0 - 110mph.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Its a good thing I dindt get the tire mounted yet then. I have some riding left in the old tire so the new one will just sit in the attic for a seasson but when I install i will be sure to get some DYNA BEAds

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
imported post

I, like Kit, reuse my Dyna Beads. I have a different method of reclaiming them, I just use a real small vacuum cleaner (the one that came with my cordless drill set). Break the tire down, reclaim the beads, put them in the new mount. I have been using them for about a year and a half.......love them.

On the issue of soap, I read an article about a year or so ago, claiming that soap would leave enough of a residue to allow some air leakage. Dont know if its true or not, but I have mounted a lot of tires over the last 6 months or so and silicone works great..........along with a warm tire!

edited for spelling

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
I thinki this will be essential when I self mount my rear tire. As far as the handling I think enough is said about the 100mph. I dont expect a touring rig to be stable above 100mph.
I rather know the quality of a 70mph turn/ bank.
But you are fine with them. I will look into buying some of those
I also reuse my beads again they work great. My bike is just as smooth at 110 as it is at 70. Very stable and secure. I have been told that the 1200 & up are windtunnel tested. I dont know this to be fact but my 1200 is very stable over 100mph. I do not ride that fast on regular basis, but the times I have, I was very impressed with the stability.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

Careful guys, some of these slippery substances stay slippery to long and allow the tire to slip on the wheel when brakes are applied. Also the dot on the tire is the high spot not the heavy spot and should be matched to the stem, low spot on the wheel. A round assembly is more importand then a complete balanced assembly. Eg you could balance a block of wood but it wouldnt feel that good on the front of youre bike.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Just a quick note to let everyone know, I mounted the front tire using silicone. I then took a little solvent on a rag and wiped the bead areas of the rim and tire. I must have gotten most of the silicone, the bead took about 40 minutes to fully seat. I looked into the Dyna Beads, nearest dealer is about 100 miles away, per mfgr. That will be a good excuse to make the ride. Thanks everyone for the info. Terry

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Keep us posted Terry, let us know brand/how new tire performs with and without Dyna Beads. OK?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Yes. That's reasonable and easily done. The more feedback gathered means better and well informed decisions.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Also the dot on the tire is the high spot not the heavy spot and should be matched to the stem, low spot on the wheel.

???
This is from the metzeler web site.
"Mount tire on rim with the valve stem beside the red or yellow dot. If red or yellow
dot is not on the tire (indicating the lightest point) the tire may be positioned at any
point on the rim."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.