Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

There were some good suggestions about using rubber washers as they avoid pressure points. Also keep in mind that the thermal coefficient of expansion is much higher for plastic than metal so I would drill the holes a little oversized to allow for the movement.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

easy fix or for prevention,
remove the lid and then remove the inner liners, scuff up the inside of the lid, and line inside of the lid with fiberglass cloth using ABS pipe cement for the resin, a couple layers of glass and you will never crack that lid.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

dqsdad2001 wrote:
I have installed a trunk rack on mine and used these washers with the Rack risers. They risers give you a larger footprint to spread out the weight better.

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=7659&str=4&ID=457800110

http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=6605&str=4&ID=457800110

They work great no cracks here but I almost screwed up when installing the rack with the risers. I made all the marks for the holes with out the risers on. When when the risers are in place the mounting holes are different. Just be careful measure over and over and if you don't feel comfortable doing it then take to the dealer. If they screw it up they will have to buy you a new lid...lol
That's what I did with mine, except I also added a rubber tapwasher inside the 'risers', for the rack to rest on as well. I also added oversize rubber washers on the underside of the lid and then a fender washer over that, for the head of the bolt to snug up on.

I had to ream out the risers, which are made for the 1800,in order for the 6mm trunk rack bolt to fit through. So far, no cracks after 20,00kms.

Larger shot: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/2781362148_c4dd685d1b_o.jpg

Dusty

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

So reading all this it is pretty evident that one must not use the rack to close the lid, dont' let it drop, and perhaps don't use a rack. However, most of us have one and probably will not give it up. So again, after all the posts, it seems to be the best to use the 3mm alloy plate (I assume aluminum or stainless) and mend it to the lid structure. I have the round rack and I have cracks, I have a new lid ordered and am waiting for it. I did have full length plates on the underside but still it cracked. But I did not mend it to the underside. Perhaps a really good glue or even the ABS patch kit using additional ABS material would work good?? what do ya think? Also, what about the flat racks as opposed to the round racks, any difference? Beside price.

Hope my spelling is not to far off, could not find a spell checker.

I like this idea the best - I'll try it.

"easy fix or for prevention,
remove the lid and then remove the inner liners, scuff up the inside of the lid, and line inside of the lid with fiberglass cloth using ABS pipe cement for the resin, a couple layers of glass and you will never crack that lid."

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.