Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mouse Repellant

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  morram 
#1 ·
imported post

Just picked up the camping trailer from the dealer after having some repairs done and we got talking about winter storage. I'm storing the trailer out on the farm this winter for the first time and mentioned I wasn't looking forward to removing the moth ball smell in spring but I couldn't stand the thought of mice making my trailer their winter palace. Service manager told me what they've been using in their storage yard for the last 3 years with not a single mouse incident since they've started using them. The miracle product?

DOWNY Dryer Sheets!
http://www.downy.com/en-US/product/ultra-downy-april-fresh-sheets.jspx

Apparently Downy uses a chemical in their dryer sheets that repels mice. But it has to be Downy. Other brands are not as effective. Sounds like the "Lemon Pledge on the windshield" thing, doesn't it?

Mentioned this to my brother-in-law last night and he tells me he heard about it and used them last year in his trailer and had no mice in spring, either. Nice guy! And he parked his trailer in a yard with a dozen boats and some of the boats had had mice in the seats so he knew that mice were in the area.

Needless to say, I'm loading the trailer/boat/bike with Downy dryer sheets this winter. I paid way too much cash for my toys to let those little freeloaders eat my investment. There's enough rat-bankers doing that!

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

Did he say if that's the used or un-used ones? I use used ones as additional fan filters in computers.

#5 ·
imported post

maybe that is why I never had a mouse problem with my travel trailer ... I used Downy sheets in the air filter to clear out the stale air after being stored.... got in the habit of not taking them out after using the trailer.... have had my trailer 7 years now and never had a mouse problem..... I thought it was a silly idea my wife had at the time but didn't complain about the fragrance it added.......we always had some left over that had no smell when it came to doing laundry and had to buy new ones each trip.... learned something new tonight

#6 ·
imported post

We have been using dryer sheets for 6 or 8 years now in our camper and the other posters are correct, the fresher and smellier the better. Our camper is a popup and we had problems with bats getting in up around the edge of the roof against the canvas (when it's up)too. They would occasionaly find their way inside so we began tucking dryer sheets up in the pocket under the roof edge and they keep the bats out too.

Next I think I will try them in the engine housing cover on the lawn mower.... this time of year the mice like to nest in there and they make a real mess, especially when they don't get out before starting!

#8 ·
imported post

I'm told you Georgians eat everything you shoot. Do you serve them mice with Sweet & Sour or just stir fry with a touch of garlic and onion?

A buddy of mine out in the country was having a particularly bad year for mice a couple seasons back and went out and got a live mousetrap. Box said it held up to 15 mice. Worked great. But he went away for a weekend and when he got home the box was packed with 28 mice! A can of sardines looked comfortably spacious in comparison.

If you've never seen the movie "Never Cry Wolf" (1983) starring Charles Smith I'd highly recommend it. Has a few great scenes where mice play a major role. Recommend watching it with someone who has a sensitive stomach for greater effect. He could have used those Downy sheets.

#9 ·
imported post

Dryer sheets work really well to take bugs off your windshield or front end, they just come right off. I live in a horse community so rodents are everywhere, I keep a light on in the MH engine compartment and leave the bike under a constant burning light as well, in the garage and never had any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.