Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm presently on an '83 Aspencade which is serving me well for the commuter and day trips that I'm taking, but I'm now semi-retired and I'm looking forward to some long weekends and more across Canada and through the States - with luck 2-up. I'm not a fan of the 'highway couch' look of the 1800's - I'd rather have something with the old-school look of my current bike. And the fewer bells and whistles the better. What newer wing will allow me to put on another 50 thousand over the next few years with normal maintenance? Thanks,

Richard

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

The 1200 would do just fine. One caveat though, is the stator issue.
Another is any 1200 you get is going to be over twenty years old.
It's an age thing. Maintenance might be more demanding. However,
it may not be any more then a 1500.

I like my 1200's just fine and with good maintenance, a good condition
1200 would give you years of reliable riding.

A GL1500 is kinda of a combination of the old school 1100 and 1200
with an bunch of the future. :baffled: I wouldn't mind having one too.

You know, the 1500 was that transition bike between the old school and the 1800.

Others can weight in better then me, because I really don't know what I'm
talking about.

Cheers! :toast:

·
Administrator
26,139 Posts
imported post

If you took a test ride on an 1800 you would have to have one no matter how it looks to you. There is really nothing like what you are looking for except another 1100 or 1200.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I had an '81 GL1100 back in the late 80s and it was a dream to ride. Unfortunately, I had to make a choice; between spending my free time with my 3 kids who were all under ten years old or using time from work riding all day. More fortunately, I choose for the kids. I sold the bike and did not ride again for almost 11 years. I bought an '84 GL1200 of of ebay a couple of years ago, and what a blast! It was smoother and more powerfull and handled even better than my previous Wing. Only thing is that the bike has so many years on it, although only 62,000 mi. Well, I had the chance, after paying my car off, to buy any bike that I wanted. It honestly thought that I'd buy A GL1500, but then The newest one is a 2000, so I elected to go with the latest model. Boy am I impressed. Power, handling, very good night lighting, the works. This is a bike that I plan on riding through to retirement, 20years from now. For me, if I'm going to upgrade, it's to get the best and or latest design. Goldwings are nice bikes and sometimes I think that they last so long that many loose out on the joys of the next model because they are waiting for their current model to break down.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
imported post

nice setup you had there

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I travelled all over Europe from 1983 through 1988, it was great!

·
Premium Member
61,345 Posts
imported post

The 1500 would be a nice step up, but you need long legs.. The 1500s are tall at the seat..
If you're not leggy, bite the bullet and take an other look at the 1800......

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Any well kept 'Wing should be able to reach well in excess of 150,000 miles with routine maintenance. The trick in a used one is to find one that hasn't been abused. A 1500 or 1800 would be hard to beat if you plan on some lengthy rides. The 1500 is probably the finest touring 'Wing with the 1800 being the best sport tourer. It all depends on how much you want to spend and whether the larger luggage capacity and more rider room on the 1500 is worth more to you than the more nimble, powerful 1800. You can't really go wrong on any 'Wing though. The advantage of the 1500 and 1800 is that parts are readily available since the 1500 was built for so long and the 1800 is still current.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Loved my 1200's I still think they are the best looking of the bunch. I wouldn't trade my 1500 for anything right now. I did test drive a couple of 1800's and didn't feel the need to buy one....................yet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.