Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm sure this has been addressed before but I would like to ask anyway. My bike is a 2000 GL1500. It currently has a cassette player that I will never use. I'm not sure I even own a cassette tape anymore. :) Is there an aftermarket kit that would allow me to wire in an Ipod or interface it with the stereo? I would still like to use my stereo volume and tone controls if possible. Is there an updated "drop in" replacement stereo with a CD player available for my bike?

Thanks!!

Perry

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

you can use a cassete adapter which will allow use of an mp3 oe ipod using the "cassette in the radio,these can be found in walmart or online,radio shack probably has them too

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Alternately, there are several hardwire solutions for adding an "Auxillary Input" to the 1500's existing radio. Sierra Electronics can do the work, and/or there are instructions for DIY installations online and on this forum.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

The cassette adapter works after a fashion. I haven't had too much luck with their reliability though and the sound isn't the best. A better solution is the wired FM modulator described by Rudy here: http://goldwingtech.info/auxradio/

Here is another way: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/84557.html

And yet another: http://www.sheriart.net/honda/

Also if you do not want to try to do the modification yourself you can send it to Sierra Electronics and they will do it for you... about $100 I believe.

[align=left]Email: [email protected]or (800)338-6938[/align]

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Does Sierra do that removing and re-installing the stereo or do you have to remove it yourself. If you have to remove it yourself, the conversion is easy and can be done quick then reinstalled once it's out. It took me longer to remove the stereo and re-install it than the modification did.

http://www.sheriart.net/honda/

This will give you a good primer for working on all the wiring issues you'll have in the future...:?

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
The cassette adapter works after a fashion.  I haven't had too much luck with their reliability though and the sound isn't the best.
Agreed on the sound. It is usually piss-poor.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

Predator wrote:
Does Sierra do that removing and re-installing the stereo or do you have to remove it yourself.
Not unless you can fit the whole GL1500 into an envelope and post it to them. :ROFL:

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

You can also purchase an fm modulator, relatively cheap like $10 bucks plus shipping, plug in your mp3 or whatever, and it broadcasts onto a radio station of your choosing...simple fix too except for making sure good power source for the modulator....

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Take a look at the options offered by Rudy: http://goldwingtech.info/auxradio/I personally thought besides the aux input mod, the next best one was an inline FM modulator. IMHO, it works far better than a wireless FM modulator. I used one for years but not the Audiovox. I used the Scosche FMMOD01 but they now have an updated FMMOD02 which has a better interface. You can get it for around $30 HERE

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

andy1800 wrote:
Predator wrote:
Does Sierra do that removing and re-installing the stereo or do you have to remove it yourself.
Not unless you can fit the whole GL1500 into an envelope and post it to them. :ROFL:
Uuuhhh, good point...:?...... I just ride down there when I need something.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

tmdriverwannabe wrote:
You can also purchase an fm modulator, relatively cheap like $10 bucks plus shipping, plug in your mp3 or whatever, and it broadcasts onto a radio station of your choosing...simple fix too except for making sure good power source for the modulator....
> FM Modulators generally do not work in the city, due to Interferance from FM stations.
> They do however work great out in the sticks.

> Best way by is adding an Auxilliary Input for your Ipod, such as done by Sierra... The sound quality is perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
imported post

I agree with all the other comments regarding the AUX inout mod for your radio... The sound quality will be best this way and this also gives you some options on Interfacing a GPS and/or cellphone thru this input...

On my 1500, I did the mod myself and then interfaced my Garmin GPS with MP3 player and bluetooth cellphone interface... They all work and sound great...

Les

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

dadztoy wrote;
On my 1500, I did the mod myself and then interfaced my Garmin GPS with MP3 player and bluetooth cellphone interface... They all work and sound great...

Les

I never use the volume on my GPS units, but how did you interface the mp3 & GPS.

What you're saying is you did the standard mod that leaves you one input for an external source. How do you get them both to go thru the one modified connection and make the MP3 play til the gps kicks in for directions.

I know at this point I can listen to my MP3 and the CB will cut it out.....how that happens is beyond me but the cb was already integrated in and only cutting out the modified mp3 which took the place of the cassette deck.

You're talking about having two external sources. How does one dominate the other? I don't even want to venture into the bluetooth thing...I can't see how this system is sophisticated enough to handle shutting everything down when you're using the phone...and over ride the gps, yet when you're listeing to the mp3 it allows the gps to override that. What mod did you use? Is it online somewhere?

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I think what he means is that his GPS unit can be loaded with MP3 tunes and can play them. Then when the GPS needs to gives instructions it cuts off the music and gives him the directions. Anyway, thats my story and I'm sticking to it. :ROFL:

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Oh, I've seen GPS units w/mp3's. I guess the bluetooth is in there too. That's one busy sound system.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

a36Pilot;

Before I hooked up my MP3 player tomy GL1500 I read Rudy's article on how he did it.

http://goldwingtech.info/auxradio/

I believe he helped me to short cut about 6-8 months of fighting with the arrangements possible.

The in-line modulator I have doesn't care where you are there is no interference andthe bike makesthe MP3 playersound great in the head-sets.

Try it I think you will like it.

:thumbsup:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Which in-line modulator are you using?

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
imported post

I agree with the Rudy solution. Have mine hooked to my iPhone and XM radio. World perfect and easy to install.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

Newday777
There are a lot of options out there. I was watching EvilBay and got a steal of a deal on an Eiger Vision 120 Channel Stereo Modulator $9.00 something for "new in box". Even when I forget to turn it off I can still get FM reception (Don't know how that works as I have been told these things will block reception from the antenna). I have never used the 120 channel feature because it worked on the first setting I put it on (been there ever since).
Dead easy to hook-up (comes with in-line fuse as well).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.