Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all Just checked my mpg the other day and I'm getting about 32 to 35 miles per gallon around town city driven on my 85 1200 aspencade :readit: . Don't really have anything to compare too and have not checked out my highway millage yet but I'm curious as to what everybody else is getting. Mostly on the 1200's but would like to hear from all. The bike has over 120,000 miles on her and wondering if this about normal for this model Cheers to all :blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I get about 42-45mpg depending on the day and riding style, but I have a 1800 so the comparison is not really there. I've heard other 1200 owners say that they get around 36mpg so I would say that your not that far off.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

'83 Aspencade w/59k on the clock. I average about 44-46 mpg per the odometer. I'm not sure this is accurate since the speedometer reads faster than actual speed.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

'86 1200 Aspy got 42 all the time. 1500 gets 35 local, and low 40's on trips.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

When I had my '86 1200A, I got 38 - 40 most of the time. That wasrural riding at 60mph.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

42-45 mpg @ 75 mph on the interstate.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
imported post

I had an '86 SEi last year and averaged a little over 40 just about always. With my current '83 Interstate I get 44-45 average.I do a pretty even mix of city and highway driving.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

pcfix_3 wrote:
I get about 42-45mpg depending on the day and riding style, but I have a 1800 so the comparison is not really there. I've heard other 1200 owners say that they get around 36mpg so I would say that your not that far off.
That echoes about what I am getting on my 1800. Unless I am exclusively in the city for that tank of gas. Then it drops down to about 38-40. :sadguy:

·
life is good
1,186 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
'86 1200 Aspy got 42 all the time. 1500 gets 35 local, and low 40's on trips.
i ride like this man.if your bike runs like it should they get around the same miles per gallon.1200 vs another 1200 .1500 vrs1500 1800 vs 1800. the main difference is the way you ride.my wife and i were going on a day trip with some people we never rode with. we met and started talking gas mileage one couple had a 09 Haley 3 wheeler the other couple had a 94 Haley 3 wheeler. they both said they got around 54 miles per gallon. i thought that was to high. my bike a 91 gl 1500 gets 35 in town low 40's long rides constant 3 thousand rpm's. we rode to gas up we all filled up.we rode for about 5 hrs. we parted ways my wife and i fueled up she got 64 miles per gallon. i got 54 miles per gallon. those people. my Friends! they drove soooooooooo slow. i know why they get 54 miles per gallon. they drive like that all the time. so if your bike is tuned right i think we all on gl 1500's we get approximately the same miles per gallon.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

My 85 GL1200 LTD got 42.5 between city driving and highway. I installed Iridium plugs and it jumped to 47. It's only been 1 tank since the new plugs went in, but we will see if it remains at that.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

I have an 85 Aspencade just like the original poster. I have 118,000 and he has 120,000. Mine is even the same color, sandy beige metallic,and we both live in Michigan about an hour and a half apart. Kinda cool.

Anyway, my dad and I just did 320 miles on Tuesday. I got 200 miles off of 4 gallons of gas. That's riding backwoods country roads around 60mph in overdrive most of the time.

I didn't believe it, 50mpg. I made my dad look at the trip meter to make sure I wasn't crazy.

When we took off I left full and he left with a quarter tank. I skipped the first fuel fill up and just got some water for myself.

At close to 200 miles I moved ahead to find the next station. I pulled in right at 200 on the trip meter and she took another 4 gallons.

I think it probably is how you ride because I 'm pretty sure I haven't gotten 50 mpg before. The difference is this time I followed my dads lead and rode like him.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Commute to work is 50/50 freeway and city. On the 1500 I got 35 to 37, same for the 1800 for the C50 (805cc) Suzuki I get 47.

Twoup on the 1800 I get anywhere from 37 to 43.Two up on the C50 was 42 to 45.

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I just found that someone had put shims under the jet needles not sure if this is a factory thing or a mod I'm thinking it is a mod and that my explain why my idle drop procedure has been a pain

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Got mid 40's with both my 1200's. Unless I got throttle crazy.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

82 1100 was about always 42mpg, I ran a shorter windshield also. For me local is 55mph (or more) 14 mile ride on rural road no stops. Only 2 traffic lights in town.

Been getting almost constant 37mpg on 88 1500 now. Tall windshield on it.

I think when the MPG varies on bike of the same size there are lots of factors. How you ride, fast, slow, hammer it hard, cruise easy, etc.. and also if it has carbs or fuel injected and is windshield tall or short etc..
Air pressure in tires, types of tires probably differ also.

Checked mine today before a short ride, I'm down to 32 in front and rear. No compressor handy at time, so close enough, I'll air them back up to about 42psi at shop before next ride anywhere.

Note to self, fix broke compressor I use at home!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

On my 84 Gl1200A (98,700 miles) I get a consistant 36-38 MPG. All city driving with no long trips. Plan on some longer runs in the next few months. We shall see what happens then.

Bob

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Ok just pulled the needles shims out of my 1200 and re idle dropped the carbs filled her up and went for a ride up 94 to Lexington Michigan and back to warren Michigan and i was up and down on the speed anywhere between 60 and 75 mph damn traffic got back and found i got about 42 mpg and that was on the throttle a bit gonna see what i get around town taking it easy.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

We ride a GL1800.(see avatar)This past vacation we rode from SC up to Niagara Falls, over to Maine, down through New England and home...Two Up, pulling a trailer, fully loaded. Mainly traveled the back roads.

We averaged right at 40 mpg. :applause:

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

84 1200 with 87k miles, I get about 35 mpg around town. Around town means a small town with 20 to 35 mph speed limits. Lots of stop and go, slowing for intersections and probably too heavy on the acceleration :) , plus some idle time for warm ups. On the highway/freeway running 70 to 80 mph I get about 39 to 42 mpg depending on what side of 75 mph I'm on. In the mountains where the roads get twisty and speed limits are 45 to 55 mph I get 44 to 46 mpg. Putting around all day on flat roads at 50 mph gets me closer to 48 mpg. Stop and go with short runs kills the gas millage worse than the higher speeds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.