Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just ordered a MPguino.

Seems itis possible to measure and display yourfuel consumption (MPG or l/100Km) for nearly any EFI equiped vehicle with an accuracy of +/- 1 %. So it should work for a GL1800

Has anyone any experience with this device ?

It will take some weeks to have it shipped to my place (The Netherlands, Europe).

I already located the possible wires from the ECM which should be connected. Installation is done by connecting to 4points:

1.the VSS (pulses for the speedometer)

2. Any of the 6 injectors ground wire (the one that leads to theECM)

3.constant 12 volt

4. signal ground

Will keep you updated when I get it installed and running.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I just feel lucky to have a fuel guage on my motorcycle.

Years ago that was unheard of and I owned a few.

Many are still without guages, but that number is shrinking.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

My buddy just bought a new harley crusser type bike it has no gas gauge
wilf

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I just calculate it on my phone when I fill up, but your idea is interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The link to the MPguino is:
http://opengauge.org/mpguino/

The wiki will give you comprehensive data what it's all about.

The latest pre-assembledset will come with the latest software v0.86 and has the ATmega328 installed.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Does this gauge give you the instant fuel consumption in Miles per Gallon?

This is not the case on my GL1800 2003, that's why I want to have information on instant fuel consumption to know what's best gear and rpm when towing my trailer.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Still didn't receive my order, but meanwhile I studied the arduino project and ordered and received the components I need in China. You can use a arduino nano pro and a 16*2 character LCD to construct this device yourselves.
I have now the processor and LCD stuck on a breadboard and it's already running the software :hoppingmad: . Within a week I will get some other electronic components to get the thing hooked up to my GL1800.( 2 resistors and 2 zener diodes, that's all!)
It is possible to calibrate the speed in my garage by running the bike on it's stand and measure the pulses from the speedometer and calculate the factor to display the correct Km or miles per hour on the device.
Soon I will show you some pictures about this project.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

So do you get the whole unit for $55, or have to make it yourself? Does it come with a case or housing?

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

It is the whole unit but without housing.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I have a unit connected now:

https://picasaweb.google.com/francois.ad/Brandstofverbruiksmeter?authuser=0&feat=directlink

I am currently building my own with connection to the map sensor so I can take fuel pressure into account in the calculation.

Due to winter I cannot test drive at the moment.

Another possibility I was thinking of to add an extra chipto tweak the intake temperature, which should result in extra power when tuned correctly.

Will keep you informed.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,705 Posts
imported post

now that is interesting.

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
imported post

I am curious how connecting to the MAP sensor can give you a fuel pressure reading.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

TheGL1800 has a vacuum regulatedfuel pressure. Max pressure is 3 bar and lowest pressure is about 1.2 bar. When you apply the formula: new flow rate = old flow rate × √(new pressure ÷ old pressure) you can calculate theeffect onflow rate. Maybe there is an offset that should be applied. Butby applying the above formula you can easily find out that at half the pressure the flow is about 60% At the moment it's all theorethical. Let's find out when I install my device... I will keep you informed, but it may take a few months. First I want to hook up the processor to a Nokia screen instead of the LCD character. This requires a total re-programming of the interactive and output screens. It took me weeks to find a bigger character that I canuse on the Nokia 5510, but that part I have working now. Everything is now on a breadboard, but to install it on the bike I need to make a PCBdesign to install all the electronic components. (I never created one...) And I have no electronic background at all, so I don't know if I can get it first time right. I will keep you informed. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to address them to me.

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
imported post

I see you are trying to calculate fuel pressure based on the MAP reading. I think you are trying to split hairs because the fuel pressure does not vary that much and only on hard acceleration or heavy load. If you are looking to maximize economy you only need to know the injection rate and speed. If you can get this thing to show exact instant consumption you have done well and I applaud you for it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I think you are right. I assumed it was 1.2 bar lowest, but after looking up some old tuning data I used in the past, it is 2.1 bar minimum and 3.0 bar max.

Nevertheless I am going to include the map reading so I can display the vacuum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.