Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on this sight and a couple others that folks are getting over 40 miles per gallon while riding their 1800 Wings. Now, I've only had my 2007 GL1800 for a month and a half but I'm not getting anywhere close to 40 MPG. Last tank of gas I got about 26 MPG. Maybe because the bike is still new to me that I'm riding it a tad bit fast and most of my driving is to and from work (30 miles round trip)but the difference between 40 and 26 is huge in my opinion.
What kind of mileage are most of you folks getting while driving your Wings?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I have a '98 1500. When I ride with my brother I get about 45 MPG. When I don't I get in the upper 30's to lower 40's. Going 85 and pulling a bunkhouse trailer the mileage dropped a lot! somewhere in the low 20's.
I just purchased an new 1800! that I hope to pick up next week (weather permitting). I have been told that the 1800 will get the same or better MPG than the 1500 did.

I hope so!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
1800 mpg

97 . 1500 I average 30 to 34 at 80 / 85 mph to and from work...........JD
Apples vs Oranges JD, he asked on the 1800.

jonnypar
A lot of factors play into the equation. Tires, air pressure, throttle twisting, RPMs between shifts, how hard you play, amount of shifting done in the tank of gas, ambient temps, wind speed and direction, speed you are traveling at(above 65 mph your mileage will start dropping fast as the airflow against the windshield and fairing and the back drafting around them becomes a drag coefficient.
Set your cruise at 65 mph on the highway and run through a tank that way, then do the same stretch and direction and conditions at a higher speed and see the difference happen.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
A common mistake people make is to run the wing in every gear except 5th. This bike has a lot of torque. Shift upwards and get it in to 5th as soon as possible. I averaged 38 MPG pulling a camping trailer at 80 MPH. I've gotten close to 50 MPG when putzing through the mountains in 5th gear at 30 to 40 MPH.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
36 - 40 is about average for mine, mostly rural roads,
very little Interstate

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
40 - 44 MPG most of the time. Just did approx. 300 mi. in the flat lands of South Carolina, 2 up and got 41 MPG. I have been using 1 - 1 1/2 oz. TCW-3 2-cycle oil since I bought the bike in Oct. original owner said he was getting 37 mpg.

·
Premium Member
68,472 Posts
Mostly around 40, but high speed into a hard wind can take it down to 38

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I ride mostly back roads of New England, lots of hills, twists and small towns. My average speed is somewhere around 40 mph. I ride solo. In good weather I get between 42 and 50 mpg. I suspect a rider's weight will greatly affect mpg. Fewer stops at the Dairy Queen could result in fewer stops to fill up the gas tank and more time to ride!

·
Premium Member
68,472 Posts
I suspect a rider's weight will greatly affect mpg.
Not that's a low blow................
I could represent that remark..................:raspberry:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
Rolling hard on the throttle with diminish your mpg quite a bit. Try a tank of gas with your mind on mpg techniques and you will be surprised. The same techniques will increase tire life as well.

I constantly get 40 mpg on my 1500, when I am riding alone. If I am pulling my trailer and trying to keep up with riders who are not tugging a trailer, my mpg goes down to 30. If I am tugging by my self, I can get 36 mpg. I am not rolling on the throttle as hard coming out of the back side of a curve.

·
650 Posts
i havent been riding yet this year but last year we have taken many trips, average is 41-44 mpg it depends on the speed your traveling and the terrian, fast and hill eats gas around 70 mph i get 42 mpg but thats a trip on open road with cruise most the time

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Lots of things seem to impact my MPG. I typically get about 35 here around home with non-interstate driving. On the interstate it will drop to about to about 32 at 75mph.

However, when I've been out west (SD, WY, MT, CO, UT) my mileage goes up into the 40's pretty consistently on the interstate. I've noticed that on each of the 3 trips I've made. It seems to me that elevation plays a big role in the increase in MPG. My mileage also goes up a bit more riding in the mountain twisties. I'm pretty sure that part is due to reduced speeds.

I've also seen a bit higher mileage when I can find non-ethanol fuel. But that isn't very available here in MN.

The best advice I can give it to just fill her up when she gets low and ride her like you stole her.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
I would be a bit worried about 26MPG on an 1800 -- How hot is your rear brake rotor & caliper (like is there any drag?) -- (verify that your secondary master cylinder's length was checked, but still feel that rotor ofter a mile or so using only front brakes to stop) http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=6426-en

I've only had my '06 a short while, best tank was 45mpg, and the worst (partial tank) was 32mpg with lots of shop-idling and clutch/tire abuse...

If you're getting into 5th, and not beating it terribly hard, 26mpg would be something that would be "not-quite-right", IMHO.

·
Administrator
28,076 Posts
I suspect a rider's weight will greatly affect mpg.
I don't see any difference in MPG with just me or 2 up with my GF who may outweigh me, I would appreciate that not being mentioned when she is around. I always got 40 on my 08 unless over 70 on interstate, about 30 towing a trailer in terrible winds and 45 or so in the rockies. Got nearly 50 last summer in northern New Mexico and Arizona. My 2010 shows a little better average than the 08 did but I think the odometer is a little more generous but the speedometer is correct, go figure. 26 on an 1800 would have me looking for a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Riding my 1500SE within 5 mph either side of the posted speed limits here in Oregon I average 40-42 mpg for 2-lane roads and on the interstate, no passangers or trailer. I'm generally conservative with the throttle and use the cruise control whenever possible (avoiding hand cramps). I will run in the highest gear possible...sometimes 5th at 30 mph around town, and my average shift point when not around town is @ 3500 rpm as I run up through the gears (seems to be a sweet spot for power and smooth shifting there).

This style of riding works for me and should extend the life of the 'Wing indefinitely, but may not satisfy the needs of other riders.

·
Premium Member
1984 Aspencade
298 Posts
In hills and at elevation, should get better milleage on a fuel injectied MC, for at least 3 reasons:

-the air is thinner, and takes less power to move through. At sea level, it is about 14.2 lbs. per sq. in. At 40, 000 feet it is only something like only 2.4. Do the math at say 10,000.

-Because the air is thinner, the fuel injection leans the mixture out, and at 10,000 ft. the engine is now producing about 30% less hp. Less hp, less fuel. Unless one's engine is turbo charged....Thin air and turbocharged, best of both worlds...

-In the steep hills, the machine is literally coasting half the time. Yes, it is working hard going up, but coasting half the time seems to trumph working steady all the time.

Maybe someone can elaborate.......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.