Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As proud owner of a new-to-me 1980 gl1100, I am curious what kind of MPG I can expect?

Thanks...

d**k

I see the board doesnt like me to use my name. From now on I will sign as Richard.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Well Dick Welcome to the best board around!!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

ubarw :waving: Welcome to the forum. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Hi Ubarw

I have a 1981 goldwing (I) and I get about

39 mpg in thecity, Ihave nottaken itout of town yet.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks,

I bought the bike two weeks ago, and have it stored at a friends house about 150 miles from here. It was snowing on the pass between us, and I had driven to his house to get him, to go look at it with me.

This weekend I head over to pick it up, with my truck/trailer, just incase the weather on the pass is poopoo again. The past two weeks, however, has been tough-wanting to ride and knowing the bike was 150 miles from here.

Blue skies and green lights to ya...

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I got 45+ with my new 80 1100. Great bike, wished I had never sold it. It was the black Interstate. Sure had to keep a spendy(at the time)tire on the back when riding dbbl. Had 2 blowouts with el-cheapo tires. Not fun 2-up. Enjoy, and have a safe trip. Is it in central Ore? Bob

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

HI Dick:waving:

Welcome to the forum.:waving:

My old timer 1100 didabout 40 miles to the gallon. But I think you guys across the pond use a different gallon? Am I right?

But never worry about the price of go juice, just worry in case they ever stop making the stuff. We might have to run our wings on methane !!!! and you know where that stuff comes from!:D

Also, If your politicians are anything like ours, we have enough hot air to share with everybody on the planet.:):):)

Brown Bear:cool:

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum d**k :waving:

I average about 36 on my 83 Aspencade. Mostly highway speeds.

Bob:11grey:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I bought the bike from a feller in Prineville. I hadnt planned on buying, but I have wanted a new Wing for some time, and Momma said that since we are not as young as we used to be, she wanted to practice oncheaper one to make sure she is up to the riding. So, I paid $1100 for this one. Only 30k miles, seems sound. I have a new Dunlop on order for the front. Good tread, but its cracked on the sidewall.

I motored it about 45 miles from the sellers house to my buddies, and stored it in a garage till this weekend. I gotta say, there's no feeling like feeling the forks stretch out when you goose it, unless of course its the first time in 10 years that you've felt it. These things pull like locomotives!:11black:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

I ride a 1982 Aspencade. It gets 42 mpg at normal freeway speeds (65miles per hour+/-), but it is very speed sensitive. If I average 85 mph it gets 35 mpg. If I average 45 mph it gets 48 mpg. I just did a bunch of maintenance including valves, carb sync, and plugs. They all were due so maybe the numbers will get a little better.

Ron

P.S. this is my first post. I found this board yesterday. I have spent quite a bit of time reading. It looks like a great board. Thanks for making it so easy to join.:D

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I get about 40 mpg with my 83 as long as I don't have to waste much gas warming the engine up on cold mornings.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

my '78 gets about 45 (I am an OLD, not BOLD, driver) and our '86 about 35 but it has a sidecar. my hd got 50+ on the first ride home, but that was not exceeding 50mph... now it is 40-45.

enjoy your bike!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

A guy that used to live here, now lives below Branson, Mo. has a 80 Interstate. with 7k miles.Just like the one I used to have from new, and sold in 84. Been sitting for years. It's still here at his orig place here in Medford. He hasn't sold the house, cause he comes up frequently to take care of rentals. So he stays at the "old homeplace", where the bike is. I'm tempted to make him an offer. What would it be worth? Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

my biggest worry with a bike that old and so few miles would be whether there has been any annual maintenance/fluid changes. ebay is certainly a good place to see what bikes are going for. If the bike was well maintained it might be a great buy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
A guy that used to live here, now lives below Branson, Mo. has a 80 Interstate. with 7k miles.Just like the one I used to have from new, and sold in 84. Been sitting for years. It's still here at his orig place here in Medford. He hasn't sold the house, cause he comes up frequently to take care of rentals. So he stays at the "old homeplace", where the bike is. I'm tempted to make him an offer. What would it be worth? Any ideas?
With that few miles on it it sure ought to be worth at least $1000 if it doesn't have any rust or corrosion visible. Sure it's going to need a good bit of work to bring it back into condition, but it shouldn't be that expensive to restore. Check out eBay for prices. The negative on this one is that it's been sitting a long time. The plus is that it has low mileage, been under cover and if it's been kept dry should have decent paint and chrome left, plastics such as wiring and connectors should be pretty good.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I haven't seen it yet, but he says it's close to perfect. Course, the rubber parts aren't going to be, most likely. including belts. I remember my 80 was more nimble that the LTD I have now. Course it's loaded down with chromeware. Probably 100 lbs of extra stuff, including Markland hitch. U'd put it's weight at 875 to 900. Need to go weigh it. Then I haul quite a bit of extra spare parts, too. Another 30 lbs, or so, with spare alt.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
I haven't seen it yet, but he says it's close to perfect. Course, the rubber parts aren't going to be, most likely. including belts. I remember my 80 was more nimble that the LTD I have now. Course it's loaded down with chromeware. Probably 100 lbs of extra stuff, including Markland hitch. U'd put it's weight at 875 to 900. Need to go weigh it. Then I haul quite a bit of extra spare parts, too. Another 30 lbs, or so, with spare alt.
The extra junk on the bike is a real money earner. I sold a bunch of accessories from my 1993 and cleared over $550 on eBay even after all fees and such.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.