Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Rode my '78 wing to work today as it has been sitting in the corner feeling a bit neglected and added gas... (and yes exavid, I have not yet chnged out the gaskets and fixed the leak--maybe a project while I recover from surgery in July) .

so I checked my log book.... 111,725 miles, 2.5 gals, $5.08 and about 40 mpg

however, on 8/9/78 the bike had 92.1 miles 2.5 gals and the cost was $1.70

okay so I have kept track of nearly ever gallon of gas and the cost... and yes I believe there is a hyphen in that double word

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
so I checked my log book.... 111,725 miles, 2.5 gals, $5.08 and about 40 mpg

however, on 8/9/78 the bike had 92.1 miles 2.5 gals and the cost was $1.70

okay so I have kept track of nearly ever gallon of gas and the cost... and yes I believe there is a hyphen in that double word
A couple of points I notice. First, yea and verily thou art compulsive.

Second after I ran the US CPI (consumer price index) I found it's true, the real price of gasoline is higher now than in 1978. The $1.70 price in 1978 corrected for inflation would be $5.07 in 2005. So gas has risen less than a third of a cent in those 27 years. (you'd have to correct the penny for cpi too).True costs haven't changed that much since the 50s if you look at it considering hours worked for a given purchase. I know it flies in the face of the popular view, but it's true. What's going on is a steady devaluing of the currency. Other than housing and medical care, hours worked for a given purchase hasn't changed much over those 55 years.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

"Compulsive" no , a darn good record keeper/historian/keeper of the time capsule, HECK YES!

Keep up the good work and some day you migh try writting a book about how things have changed for you and your Wing in all these years! :cool:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Hey Exavid, he doesn't have to pay the high gas taxes we're about to get hit with.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
Hey Exavid, he doesn't have to pay the high gas taxes we're about to get hit with.
Sign the petitions, we may win yet!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

sure, we don't have the gas taxes here... we just have turnpikes... if I go from Tulsa to Joplin it is $3... two- wheels or four wheels. That works out to $.036 per mile, but even at 40mpg it works out to about $1.50 per gallon

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

I used to live in Dallas. They have turnpikes there too. We're about to be blessed with a toll bridge. They built the toll booths before the bridge is done. We will likely have 2 toll roads as well. Just can't win.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
I used to live in Dallas. They have turnpikes there too. We're about to be blessed with a toll bridge. They built the toll booths before the bridge is done. We will likely have 2 toll roads as well. Just can't win.

Face it guys, the way way around toll booths/toll bridges/toll roads is in a hearse and none of us want that last ride!:gunhead:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.