Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sure ya'll have been here before, but what kind of MPG's are ya'll getting??

I have been averaging 42-44 since I bought it a few months ago. Is this as good as it gets, or can it be improved?

'03 GL1800 mostly ridin highway, some stop and go traffic, normal acceleration, likes to cruise at about 70 MPH.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

my 1200 gets 38-42 depending on riding conditions:action:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I get a constant 37. But I have more friction to turn.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

Average around 40. It depends on how much I twist! Sometimes I really like to do the twist. I ride mostly two up and on trips on two lane, 55 mph roads, I can expect anywhere from 42-45.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I've told this story before, but I really like it so's I'm gonna tell it again!

Read this in the book "Boozefighters," America's first patch-wearing MC club......

Backin the early fifties, most ofthe membersrode Indians and Harleys, but one of the early Boozefighters bought himself a Brit import, probably a Triumph. He loved the bike, and bragged about it constantly, especially about the high mileage he was getting. Two of his friends got tired of it, and so they started sneaking out when he wasn't looking and began adding fuel to his tank! They got him up to about 150 miles per gallon doing that! The Brit bike rider was simply beside himself with joy.....

Then, after about a month or so, they snuck back out and started siphoning gas out! The man's mileage slowly buy steadily fell into the high teens, and he practically tore the bike apart trying to find out what was wrong!

For some reason, I find this wholestory hysterical!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Tex

I dont know a lot about 1800's but from riding with my Father on his I think you are right about where you should be. May be even a bit better than average from what I have read. I seriously doubt you will see much improvement from 44.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

That's fuuny stuff there !!!

Only asking because i'm getting 42-44, my friend is getting 35 or so on his '03 and another friend is getting 35 or so on his '05. We all ride the same as far as conditions and throttle, just curious??

Maybe need to add some gas to their tanks to make them feel better!!

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

Tex,
Your mileage is about right, maybe a little on the high side. Last year my best mileage was 44.7 and the worst was 36.0 for an average of 40.8 for the year. Lots of back road sight seeing trips, relativly low speeds.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Many variables on a bike for fuel mileage.

42 is good, it does not get any better than that.

Tire pressure
Plug gap
Weight and size of rider or riders
Load on bike
Speed
Riding style

Something as simple as having the windshield up or down will change the gas mileage 5 mpg.

CJ that is a neat story, I have a friend like that, you have to watch him like a hawk. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: He is the one who taught me to casually go talk to someone working on their bike and just lay an extra bolt in the pile or under the bike. :D

He is the one who put a dead shad (fish) under my air cleaner too. :action::cheeky1:.

Yep you have to watch him, always up to something.

Kit

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

First check after bringing BB home from SC was 53. Mostly highways at around 50MPH. Latest check was 38 do to more back roads, shifting, stopping, etc.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

I was getting around 42 but I have since installed a vetter fairing and haven't checked if it makes a diff or not.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,150 Posts
imported post

My poor ole 1500, she got about 33ish all the time.

Comes from running in with the goto work crowd of idiots in this valley. Zero to 85 is considered a normal takeoff when the light changes and the ones behind you lay down on their horns if you are more than 1.5 seconds slow moving on out. :X

On the freeways, the normal speeds here are about +20 over the marked 55 mph. I'm hoping all those cameras they have installed will start to regulate things to a more sane in town speed.

I hate that stop 'n go crap. All Stop! Okay, got 250 feet open , let's floor it and take off!
You see the crowd moving on and it seems they are up to speed, and then when you get a little close, they all slam on the brakes again.

Is that unique to just here??

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

About a year ago I had a 98 1500 Aspencade that had some kind of loud exhaust. I think if it ever got 34 MPG it was doing good. It usually got about 32. It only had 15K when I sold it, so it wasn't worn out. Just bad on gas. Could it have been the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

I just bought an 85 Limited. What kind of mileage do you fellers get with the fuel injection? I am thinking the F I ought to be a little better than the carbs? I know it sure starts nice, and then it just runs smooth, like right now.

The 84 Interstate I had always got about 38- 39 MPG. Mostly all freeway, 70-75 MPH

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

I had a 1982 Yamaha Midnight Maxim XJ 650 with a 4 into one header thatwent like all get out (or it sounded like it - anyway at least I THOUGHTI was going fast). The little Yamy riding two up got 47mpg everytime I bought gas. I was big 240 and with my wife 120 it was amazing. Another one I should have kept.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.