Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good day Mate! Submitted this post on Rally without any response and since this site is busier, I'll try again.

Having ordered an 09 airbag, I'm finding out that airbag models cannot take fender extensions, which I want. Some believe it's because the fender is shaped differently. Might not be a lot of airbag models sold, so a limited market. Since I'd like to ride this Winter when road conditions are good, I'd like something to extend the front fender to keep more sand/salt off the bike. I know mud flaps are ok on the rear fender to protect trailers and such, but how do they look on the front fender? I imagine the airbag sensor(s) are higher up on the front wheel assembly. As always, thanks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
imported post

Dan Kelly wrote:
Good day Mate! Submitted this post on Rally without any response and since this site is busier, I'll try again.

Having ordered an 09 airbag, I'm finding out that airbag models cannot take fender extensions, which I want. Some believe it's because the fender is shaped differently. Might not be a lot of airbag models sold, so a limited market. Since I'd like to ride this Winter when road conditions are good, I'd like something to extend the front fender to keep more sand/salt off the bike. I know mud flaps are ok on the rear fender to protect trailers and such, but how do they look on the front fender? I imagine the airbag sensor(s) are higher up on the front wheel assembly. As always, thanks.
I suspect that a non-answer indicated that people just don't know. :baffled:

I've seen other bikes such as a Valkyrie with a rubber mudflap on them and it didn't look very good at all. I suspect that your dealer won't be able to answer the question for you either as far as "why not".

I don't know if there's a honda hotline type of affair that you could put your question to but you may try the following as it's a pretty active 1800 forum. I know they're a similar forum to Rally but seem busier.

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

FWIW, I don't have an 1800 and I do have a chrome extension on mine.

I added a mud flap to the front fender of mine and I like it. You can read about it here.

Just as an update(and a little advice) I should have cut the mudflap an inch shorter than I did. The bottom of the mudflap will come in contact with some ofthose 'speed bumps' in parking lots/roads and as a result, cracked the lower left corner of my fender. (I'll see if I can throw up a picture a little later, after I wash my bike(tomorrow?) I ended up buying a used one off of Fleabay (same colour) for a reasonable price but haven't installed it .... yet.

I'd suggest that if you are going to install one(I just cut down a cheap automotive one to fit), that you install a piece of metal strappingaround the inner circumference of the fender, to add a little reinforcement there(same material I used for the rear mudflap, lower down on the page)

Main thing I guess is: don't let the mudflap'hang' too close to the ground. I'll measure mine and get back with a recommended clearance height(and some pics)

Dusty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,137 Posts
imported post

Have you thought of helmet flaps?
 

·
Probationary
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots, last time I brought this up, you were going out to the garage & try to make one. That was the last I heard of it.

I ordered a front fender extension from JC Whitney, plastic chrome, for about $15. Ought to get here anytime. I got real tired of trying to keep that front grill clean.

If Whitney didn't have one so cheap, I'd have just made one.
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

Popeye wrote:
Dusty Boots, last time I brought this up, you were going out to the garage & try to make one. That was the last I heard of it.

Yup, done deal Popeye, just follow the link above( and all subsequent links contained therein), although I still haven't quite finished with the rear mudflap yet ..... this winter. I was too busy riding this summer.:cooldevil:

I'm still looking for a good set of lights to incorporate in/onto it. The wiring on those red LED lights I initially got from Wally World were very small gauge and didn't think they would last long, in that environment, so I returned them.:p I might not find such a thingand go with a couple of reflectors instead(?) I have the aluminum piece cut out to add onto itand roughly shaped. Now all I have to do is 'refine' it a bit, polish and attach it.



Dusty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

Dan Kelly wrote:
Good day Mate! Submitted this post on Rally without any response and since this site is busier, I'll try again.

Having ordered an 09 airbag, I'm finding out that airbag models cannot take fender extensions, which I want. Some believe it's because the fender is shaped differently. Might not be a lot of airbag models sold, so a limited market. Since I'd like to ride this Winter when road conditions are good, I'd like something to extend the front fender to keep more sand/salt off the bike. I know mud flaps are ok on the rear fender to protect trailers and such, but how do they look on the front fender? I imagine the airbag sensor(s) are higher up on the front wheel assembly. As always, thanks.
I think I would call this company before I gave up. Almost all the fender extensions even from the year 2006 and up say they will not fit the airbag model. This one says it will, I did call the Sumter shop and they told me they put them on all the time, and yes they have one for the airbag model. So they are available. This one may or may not fit the 2009, says it will, shop says it will, I would call to be sure first though.
Show Chrome Front Fender Extension for GL1800 '01-Up (incl. airbag model) Kit
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Did you guys notice the advert for a Utopia ripoff type backrest on that link? It looks like they even copied the mounting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,502 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Did you guys notice the advert for a Utopia ripoff type backrest on that link? It looks like they even copied the mounting.
I have seen a lot of them lately in various bike shops. I know when I ordered my original Utopia last year I had to wait almost two months to get it. I was told the fellow who makes them is semi-retired and only makes so many, but have seen very similar ones on the bikes in the bigger volume dealer shops where they rig them up before they go out the door. They do look very similar, but the actual backrest pad is a bit different.
There is another whole sale place selling something similar too, forget where I saw that, in some bike magazine someplace, so it is becoming more common.

Kit
 

·
Just another ORF!
Joined
·
8,189 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
FWIW, I don't have an 1800 and I do have a chrome extension on mine.

I added a mud flap to the front fender of mine and I like it. You can read about it here.

Just as an update(and a little advice) I should have cut the mudflap an inch shorter than I did. The bottom of the mudflap will come in contact with some ofthose 'speed bumps' in parking lots/roads and as a result, cracked the lower left corner of my fender. (I'll see if I can throw up a picture a little later, after I wash my bike(tomorrow?) ......
Main thing I guess is: don't let the mudflap'hang' too close to the ground. I'll measure mine and get back with a recommended clearance height(and some pics)

Dusty
Okay, I updated the other thread, along with some pictures



Dusty
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
imported post

I am using the one shown in Kit's clip. It isn't perfect, but looks nice. No reason what so ever that mounting it interferes withthe Airbag.

Major drawback is that the clearance between the tire and unit is extremely close, as in the **** on a new tire will hit it close. On gravel roads (chip seal)you can hear the rocks hitting it (which is better than the lower cowl) and is evident upon inspection of the bottom edge of the mudflap.

Another drawback is that it isn't long enough. I think that it should be at least two inches closer to the ground. I still get tar and gunk slung on the undercarriage and very low on the front of the cowl. It is however a huge improvement as to not having one at all.
 

·
Probationary
Joined
·
4,535 Posts
imported post

I'm still waiting for my front fender extension. I doubt it will be long enough to keep the entire cowl clean, so I plan to add some flexible mudflap to it [3 holes, 3 washers & 3 rivets should work].

Yesterday, I realized I need a rear mud flap asI saw a bike in front of me tossing up junk from the asphalt. That would not be good for my trailer.

I always prefer reflectors to lights [for extras]. These days they are just as bright & they still work if the bike conks along the road.

 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top