Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If I remove the baffles from the mufflers of my 85 Aspy can it do any damage tothe engine?Thanks

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Gold Winger 84 I think I'll give it a try can always replace them if I don't like the results.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

Hey GoldWinger1948 How did you get the baffels out I was trying last night to pull them out and couldent move them I drilled the rivits out and nothing

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

wingwarrior wrote:
Hey GoldWinger1948 How did you get the baffels out.
Hey wingwarrior :waving:It's not Goldwinger1948, :whip: It's Goldwinger1984.:clapper: Dont make him any older than he is, or he wont reply to you. :crying:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

TJ859 wrote:
Thanks Gold Winger 84 I think I'll give it a try.
Hey TJ859 :waving: He is not 84, :whip: he is 1984. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

On my 1948 Gold Wing (LOL) I drilled out the rivet, then tapped the baffle in, then using a piece of threaded rod with a couple of nuts and a washer on one end,I tapped the baffle out, I continued this in and out tug of war until all the rust and carbon broke free and allowed the baffle to slip out easily. Just be patient and don't hit too hard otherwise you won't be able to reuse the baffle.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If those were original 1948 baffles it's not surprising they didn't want to come out!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::15red::jumper::jumper:

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Redwing I stand correctedsorry Goldwinger 1984 I wouldn't want to ruffle any WING feathers.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Hmmm.. never heard a 4 cyl. Wing uncorked before. What do they sound like? IS it irritating or a nice buzz? Would you want it that way for touring or not? Does the noise stay behind you if you have the muffler extensions that dump beyond the bags?

(I have Harleys and crotch rockets along with my '86 Aspy)

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
On my 1948 Gold Wing (LOL) I drilled out the rivet, then tapped the baffle in, then using a piece of threaded rod with a couple of nuts and a washer on one end,I tapped the baffle out, I continued this in and out tug of war until all the rust and carbon broke free and allowed the baffle to slip out easily. Just be patient and don't hit too hard otherwise you won't be able to reuse the baffle.

Vic

Thank for the info GoldWinger sorry about the mix up with the # onyour name Just what I thought all froze up on the in side Ill give it a try this weekend

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

hey Goldwinger1984got the baffles out re tuned the carbs and with Dave's harness the bike runs like a raped ape now thanks for the in put PS sounds good too:11grey:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Glad it worked out for you Koots. I have had to quiet down the pipes on my Wing because it bothered my wife too much. Better to keep her happy.

Frenchy, welcome, it's nice to see you here. Looking forward to meeting you and Susanin July.

Vic

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Hello, I thought I had seen a topic on this before on Classic WIngs msn. I didn't have any luck with their site. Something must have changed.

You/Vic commented that the pipes got pretty loud.

I would like to try removing the rear baffle but I am totally unfamiliar with the process. Could I get some details:

1. Do I remove the mufflers to do it?

2. I drill out the two rivets. I seem to remember mention of a "slide hammer"; I haven't found one.

3. Do you pound on the baffle from the rear? Do you use your threaded rod gadget from the back?

Please excuse my ignorance as I haven't done anything like this before.I apologize if this is a repeat request: my alzheimers prevents me from recalling a lot of stuff.

Thanks, Bob Rust Albuquerque :cool:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Hi Bob, it all depends on how much rust is on the baffles. If there is a minor amount you can probably grip the baffle at the lip with vise grips and simply pull them out. If the rust is severe, you'll have to knock the baffles in and out to work the rust loose until they slide out. I used a piece of threaded rod with nuts and washers fastened to one end so that I could reach inside the baffle to pull it rearward and used a hammer to tap the baffle forward.

Hope that helps.

Vic

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Thanks Vic,

I will start by removing the turndowns, drill out rivets, and free baffles for removal. All from back end of muffler.

Likely an evening job because we are having 95+ with intense high altitude (5,000 feet) sunshine. You can't touch any sunlit metal without feeling pain.

Bob Rust Albuquerque

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

TJ859 wrote:
Redwing I stand correctedsorry Goldwinger 1984 I wouldn't want to ruffle any WING feathers.
Hey TJ859 :grinner: Im only after coming across your post. :waving:Some of these guys get a bit annoyed :whip:if you dont address them by their proper rank. No feathers ruffled this time. :weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.