Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a could small holes in the bottom of my muffler of my 1100. :XChecking prices, i find that the best deal i can find (aftermarket, obviously) is $450.00 ...... PLUS labor.:jumper: so Im thinking of just filling them with some of that paste that is like liquid metal. Anybody had any experience doing that, and if so, what kind of stuff do you recommend? The holes are underneath, so they wouldnt show anyway. (I know, I know, Im cheap.... :baffled:but I prefer to call myself "Thrifty":goofygrin:...as all my Scottish friends would wholeheartedly agree!). Thanks for the comments, gang! Lee

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

If this is like the GL1500, then there is a small drain hole under each muffler to let water/condensation out. Blocking these is a bad idea. If they are rust holes, fibreglass is a better solution as it sticks to rust better than chemical metal or liquid metal.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

Qualco Muffler Weld (Repir and sealer) from NAPA Auto Parts

Just follow the instructins.

It limped my muffler by for over 2 years, on a 1982 gl1100 with a hole on the bottom of theweld where the muffler meets the pipe. After the initial application I did touch ups as needed about every 3 to 4 weeks. Held great easy to use and cheap.

Comes in a round 6.5 oz tin for around $3.00 usd.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks. I'll double check, but I'm sure they're rust holes. But thanks for the heads up....every bit of info I get makes me just a little bit smarter! Lee

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the tip, bro! I'll be down at NAPA in the morning to check it out! Bman

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

Hi,

My mufflers have a rust hole in each one. I used a product from a company called Certainium. You just cut off a chunk, knead it like bread dough unill it's a uniform gray. I plugged both holes and it seems just fine. The stuff feels like rock when hard.

I don't know where to get it any more, I got it before retiring , I was a mechanic for the Michigan Dept. of Transportation. Industrial supply places might have products similar.

Try J-B Weld, they have a two part mix and a product like Certanium, but I never used it.

Sorry about rambling on.....retired and nobody to annoy anymore!!:)

Tom

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

JB Weld is very good fo rthis. Not pretty to look at but who will see it at the bottom anyway?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Is it possible Certanium has become Unobtainium?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

I used J-B weld on a CB750 exhaust years ago and it held up through everything. It's almost as important as baling wire and duct tape!:p

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

By the way, I never told anyone how my muffler hole issue ended up. I found a great cheap product at NAPA called Permatex Exhaust Sealer, and it worked super. No problems all fall; obviously I'll check it again this spring. Worked fine for me! Bman

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I posted a topic on this same issue.I just repaired a hole in my exhaust pipe with epoxy putty from JB WELD.Found it at walmart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.