Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just snagged a nice pair of OEM mufflers for the bike, with baffles in 'em! Can someone please confirm that the muffler>header clamp is a an allen head bolt? I think it may be stripped, definitely welded to the clamp/muffler. I'm wondering if i'll have to take a torch to it to get it off? Maybe vice-grips? Thanks..The crossover pipe clamps are regular bolts.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

once again, I'd have to look when I get home, but I think mine is a regular bolt... but they always are really difficult to remove from years of wear and tear and heat and elements etc etc.

where did you get the mufflers?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for responding. It's definitely an allen head. I'll have to vise it off, maybe put some brake cleaner on it, if that won't work, maybe some heat. Then i'll replace it with a regular bolt!Got em on Ebay from a guy who unfortunately parted out a nice 79. Great for me -- i scored the pipes, two mint vetter bags/frame, and a rebuilt set of carbs i just bolted on!

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
I just snagged a nice pair of OEM mufflers for the bike, with baffles in 'em! Can someone please confirm that the muffler>header clamp is a an allen head bolt? I think it may be stripped, definitely welded to the clamp/muffler. I'm wondering if i'll have to take a torch to it to get it off? Maybe vice-grips? Thanks..The crossover pipe clamps are regular bolts.
regular bolt, but one that is integral to the clamp, I believe, so one end turns but other does not. I think...

You might want to try some rust penetrator on those bolts a day or two before you give it a go.

I like Kroil made by a company in the south. Look it up on the net.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks guys. The muffler/header clamp is Allen bolt. The crossover pipe connectors are regular. I'll for sure be hitting it with stuff before i try it.Probably a good bet i'll need new gaskets/packing too, eh?

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

What I've done to remove the muffler clamps, is to SOAK them with WD-40. I'll stand them on end in a corner, & hit them with WD every time I walk by for a few days (DON"T RUSH IT). Then I use an air impact with an allen head socket. I've had real good luck doing it this way.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks, Frenchy...I don't have air tools, though i have an impact wrench + hammer. Just dosed it with WD40 in preparation.While i'm at it, did you happen to look at my post re: VEtter saddlebags? Can the rear signal stems be fitted to the vetter bag frame, by putting a nut behind to attach them? Or do i have to find the Vetter supplied stems? (i got sent ONE stem...grrr).Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.