Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't need them now, but I came acrossed a deal. Two Elite 4's, $286, plus a $50 prepaid Visa for buying them. That figured out to $118 bucks apiece. That's dirt cheap, and I'd buy Dunlop's anyway when the time came to re-shoe my bike. Tire prices go up, they ALWAYS go up. My past history with them, I got a stack of old Elite 2 and 3's, so I know them. So- Gimme your $.02 about my thoughts. Decent idea?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I wish they fit my 1800 as I would take that deal.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Check the date in the sidewall of the tires. Most of the time tires go on sale when they get a little age on them in the store. And if you plan on buying them and holding onto them for a while, the date may change your mind?

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
Check the date in the sidewall of the tires. Most of the time tires go on sale when they get a little age on them in the store. And if you plan on buying them and holding onto them for a while, the date may change your mind?

I don't think the E4s have been in production long enough to worry about that.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I don't think the E4s have been in production long enough to worry about that.
You are Correct Dave, I just checked and they were first introduced in April, 2016.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I always get suspicious when a deal seems too good to be true.
As he didn't give a link to the deal I can only guess that it's the classic bait and switch where when you go to order you have to select the tire size you need.

Then:
The front tire you've selected is an extra $125.00
The rear tire you've selected is an extra $150.00

It can quickly becomes not such a good deal.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the site-https://www.motosport.com

I checked, there's no bait and switch. There is such a thing called refusal. If some dope says X tires can't be had for that price, I have no issues refusing purchase of them. A local dealer some years ago quoted me a price on some Metzler 880's. He got them, then increased the price on me. I walked out on him. Hope he sold them, because I never bought another tire from him.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Now it's $400+ and no visa card

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
The Elite 4 is considerably better than the previous Elite 3. The Elite 4 tread pattern is almost a duplicate of the Avon tires I have been running for many years. I have several friends running Elite 4 tires on GL1500's with great results.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have E4's on my 1500 and love them. Great handling and about 4k on them with very little sign of wear and my chicken strips are about 3/4" wide (pegs dragging won't let me make them smaller). Very good traction in the rain and they are quiet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I would not be afraid to buy them, then store them in my basement away from sun light, heat sources, electric motors, stacked up on a pallet likely. I'd look them over, but likely they'll be OK. Likely that's close to how they have been stored.

I put Elite IIs on my 1200 in 2004, it still wears them and it's been parked in that same basement when not ridden. If I keep the 1200, likely will put Avons on it. I know ..... I should ride her more but I have worn some tires on the Trike. Last couple years, since late Spring 2016, unable to ride for the most part ... but the time is coming.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I just install E4's on my 1500 and so far I hate them!!! Michigan roads are horrible, but they seem to ride very rough and like to follow the grooves really bad.. My E'3s never did that.... I have 36 pounds in the front and 41 in the rear... Maybe wrong tire pressures????

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,491 Posts
up the front tire pressure to 42 minimum,
and the rear at 44

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,491 Posts
it will be a tab bit rougher, but not much, and it should help with the tracking.

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
I just install E4's on my 1500 and so far I hate them!!! Michigan roads are horrible, but they seem to ride very rough and like to follow the grooves really bad.. My E'3s never did that.... I have 36 pounds in the front and 41 in the rear... Maybe wrong tire pressures????
You are probably not the first to notice that. I wouldn't put a donlop or a bridgestone on a wheel barrow myself.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
757 Posts
I've never noticed any tramlining - not even a little bit - and I've run them across the country four times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts