Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
I also love the elite 4 and now that I need a new rear tire there are none to be found. Getting a Bridgestone and can only hope it is half the tire the Dunlops are.馃憤

Registered
I have Avon鈥檚 on my 1500,radial on front,bias on back,best combination I have ever had on a bike

Reactions: DaveO430

Premium Member
Really you mixed the two styles?? I had radials on as the last set and other than one fell apart (the back) they handled fine but still followed the grooves.. the only tire I have owned that
was GREAT, as far as the grooving and road worms, was the Elite 3 but they didn't last very long....Maybe it is the wide grooves on the freeways in Michigan but they scare me and when it rains
they are even worse.. again.... only on the grooved pavement.....on a normal road they are great!!! I wonder if it is the strange grove in the center of the front tire that is causing it?

Registered
The Avon鈥檚 work AWSOME on any groove,I stayed with the rear bias because I ride pretty aggressive and thought the bias would have less wall flex in corners.

Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
For what it's worth, I run Michelin Commander II front and rear. Great grip and wear. Based simply on experience with a GL1500 and GL1200 over about 30,000 miles combined, I see no point in using anything else.

Worst tire experience ever: Using an Austone car tire on the rear wheel of my '95 GL1500 Aspencade. Went into a death wobble on the REAR tire at over 75 mph! Ruined a trip to the west coast via Yellowstone about 8 years ago. F' that damn tire! When I got home I not only replaced it with a Michelin Commander II, but burnt the f'er down to the wires just to make sure it was completely dead! You haven't lived til you've experienced a REAR wheel death wobble (bouncing from edge to edge) at 75 miles per hour! Only regret that I can't slap the sh*t out of the dimwit who suggested using it to begin with!

Premium Member
Well, Just rode from Michigan to Pooler, GA... Tires were fine on the dry un-grooved pavement... still a little wobble over some groves, not enough to be concerned......BUT
In the rain forget it! had the rear slide out enough at 55 to scare the [email protected]#$% out of me... Again on grooved pavement, on black top and smooth concrete they were GREAT!!!

Administrator
Well, Just rode from Michigan to Pooler, GA... Tires were fine on the dry un-grooved pavement... still a little wobble over some groves, not enough to be concerned......BUT
In the rain forget it! had the rear slide out enough at 55 to scare the [email protected]#$% out of me... Again on grooved pavement, on black top and smooth concrete they were GREAT!!!
What would be great is if you told us what tires you are talking about.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis

Registered
His earlier post.

15 27 d ago

I just install E4's on my 1500 and so far I hate them!!! Michigan roads are horrible, but they seem to ride very rough and like to follow the grooves really bad.. My E'3s never did that.... I have 36 pounds in the front and 41 in the rear... Maybe wrong tire pressures????

Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
yup,
need to include the Name/Type of tire in Each Post, none of us take the time to troll backwards just to find something,
I for one, sure won't.

Premium Member
Sorry..... E4's front and back tire pressure 36 and 41......I was really looking forward to the E4's but I am sorrily disappointed....

Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
I now have E4's front and rear, the rear is now 4 yrs old and two cross-country trips pulling camper, Front new in August with one cross-country trip. I'm quite happy with mine, and the longevity on the rear appears good after two trips. Still lotsa tread. I use 44psi rear 41 psi front.

Reactions: Road Ranger

Premium Member
Another member said to raise the PSI... but I was not sure if he had the bias or radial..... They are fine on the smooth roads... I am having the problems on the Michigan grooved roads.. I wonder if the specs for the spacing of the grooves are different in different states.....I had no problems outside of Michigan on the last ride but we never had any rain until we got back to Michigan...which is pretty rare for us!!! haha.... rain seems to follow us everywhere we ride....;)

Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
it don't matter whether the tires are bias or radial, there is only one axle at each end of a motorcycle.

the old saw about not mixing tire types is for 4 wheeled vehicles.
I have run bias in the front and a radial on the rear, could not tell the difference.

It if is a Trike then both sides must be the same tire type.

Premium Member
Well, I have been told that you do not run radials on a 1500.....I did once and the rear blew out a 4 inch round section.... so I will stick with matched types as the manual states....

Administrator
Well, I have been told that you do not run radials on a 1500.....I did once and the rear blew out a 4 inch round section.
That wasn't because it was a radial.

Registered
鈥91 gl1500
I bought my 鈥91 1500 June of 2020. it was a total garage queen with only 6300 miles. Took quite a bit to sort it out including replacing the eight year old front tire and 22 (yes, that鈥檚 22) year old rear. I replaced them with E4鈥檚 and have been very happy with them. I usually ride with the Mrs. and after continuous trial and trying, I have found 38 psi in the front and 40 in the rear works best for me. I tried psi鈥檚 over 40 in the front and I didn鈥檛 like the way it handled. Being 65 and balky knees, these may be the last set I need to buy before I either go with a trike or give up riding altogether. Unlike car tires, motorcycle tires bring up interesting discussions. Ask 100 people their opinion and get 101 different answers. I researched as many different brands as possible, regardless of the price, because let鈥檚 face it, with only two tires on the road, cost shouldn鈥檛 be an issue. I wanted the best 鈥漛ang for the bucks鈥 and the E4鈥檚 seemed to be best suited for me and 鈥淭he Precious Cargo鈥. Just an old farts humble opinion.

Registered
See Signature
What size E4's are you guys running on the front of your 1500. Especially for the guys that don't like them. If I'm understanding right some sizes have the rain groove down the center of the tire, and that can cause the tracking issue? Don't know if it's true or not. Does anyone have the rain groove and it's not an issue for them?

I need a 130/70-18. Can you guys tell me if that has the rain groove.

Also. Do I want radial's or bias? Thanks

21 - 39 of 39 Posts