Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2000 1500 Se and my dad has a 1995 electraglide, we are planning a nice long trip and was wondering what's our options for communication between 2 bikes and possibly all 4 riders?
I would like to hear the options out there ???
Thanks kerry

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

Hello, T!

You have a number of choices, all with pluses and minuses.

Bluetooth headsets:

There are a number of choices out there, but the Sena headsets seem to be the best. They will let you communicate person to person, up to 4 (you and 3 others) units. They are not open channel like CB, it's more like a phone... You can talk to the other rider, your pillion can talk to the other co-rider at the same time. But you can't talk to everybody at once.
You can pair it up with your Bluetooth phone and Bluetooth music source, or a Garmin BT enabled GPS.
Bluetooth is single channel, so you can't both listen the same music source, or the same phone call.
Range is about 1/2 mile or so, certainly good enough for "Let's stop, gotta pee" or "Hey, where'd you go?"
They are quite popular with the adventure rider crowd, we have sold like a billion to those guys.

CB Radios and your in-bike comm system.
Your Bike is set up to take a CB radio, and a lot of Harleys are, and have comm systems, is his so equipped? If so, a couple of CB's might integrate neatly and will give you about the same range as the Sena's will.

Autocom
Autocom has a complete intercom package that lets you integrate music sources, phone, GPS, bike to bike FRS, and more. It's hard wired, and the noise canceling is superior to anything else out there. It is also the most costly, but I find that if yo end up buying headsets, all the Kennedy stuff, and CB radios, you might well be ahead of the game with Autocom. Honda has an incredibly inflated opinion of the value of a $59 CB radio, at least for the 1800.
Again, the ADV guys and the BMW crowd really like this option.

Gotta go right now, but I'll check back here later.

=Dave=

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

Thank you Dave for a very well explained array of options.
:claps:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Very good explanation, thank you very much, I will have to see if my dad has a cb on his bike, that would be the cheapest route being I already have cb and headset

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

J&M makes units that have a CB, Rider to Passenger intercom, and an input for a music source. Some are model specific so if the Electraglide does not have one he might want to check out there website HERE.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

We bought the Sena bluetooth system this spring and like it quite well. My wife and our primary riding friends (another couple) have them. My wife has her phone synced to her headset and she likes that.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

I have a set of bluetooth headsets from Blueant. They work very well. They are full duplex. My girlfriend can enjoy the music from my wing on her vulcan while we can still talk to each other. Kinda the best of both worlds, I get to listen to tunes and we can talk to each other.

Another great feature is that we can watch out for each other and avoid dangers that we may not see. The first day we had them I was able to advise her of a rapidly approaching car that had we not had the headsets she may have gotten hit by the car that was blowing off a stop sign.

Also excellent for teaching a new rider to ride!!

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

For bike to bike communications i think i would go the cb route if at all possible over the bluetooth..Here's why...Bluetooth headsets whether on the same bike or separate bikes have to be linked up, sometimes that works good ,sometimes not. In an emergency situation like mentioned above would u rather know for sure u can reach the other rider? With a cb that would not be an issue...I also am speaking of this from experience as i have a set of bluetooth headsets and have used them for rider to pillion communications and also incoming calls. sometimes worked great..sometimes not so much....Another thing to consider is depending on how many miles you ride in a day , the bluetooth battery's will need to b re charged, a cb? well u know the answer to that one...just my .02 and hope this helps..

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

My Bluetooth headsets always work, not.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

t802950 wrote:
Very good explanation, thank you very much, I will have to see if my dad has a cb on his bike, that would be the cheapest route being I already have cb and headset
That might be an excellent choice., since you already have everything needed, and he might.. Even if your dad doesn't have a CB, I believe that Harley has a much more realistic view of the market value of a CB. If not, as mentioned by Doug, J&M has one that might help. It seems to be reasonably priced, too.

Let us know what you decide

+dave=

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

I forgot to mention.. Anyone in the Goldwing community is likely to have a CB for bike to bike comm. I would bet that 95% of Wings that ahve bike to bike use a CB for it, since that's what the bike comes / can come with. You already have a CB, so that kind of proves my point. (I have one, too)
The same goes for the Harley guys. Given that the CB is 1970's technology, and the Harley is the finesat 1940's technology you can buy, they are kind of made for each other. The ADV and BMW guys are much more likely to have somoe verison of FRS or maybe Bluetooth, since they don't have (for the most part) built in audio systems to push them into what fits the ssytem.
So, other than you dad, who else will you be riding with a lot? If it's Wings & Harleys, then the CB route will be best. If all your friends own BMW GS1200s, maybe another route would be better.

=Dave=

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i got a set of those cobra 18channel walkie talkies they got a 15mile range roughly they pick put the weather band and i put a earpiece mic on it i use it when me and a buddy go riding he usually is about 50yards behind me so its nice for him to communicate but half the time its his wife talkin cuz she rids on the back lol

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Yep, got to agreewith you, cb will be the choice for us because my dad just confirmed his dinosaur has a cb lol, now he needs to get a headset, any recommendations on headsets for him???

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

lol...OH your gonna open up a new can o worms with that one!!! my personal suggestion is find out how many pin plug your dad has, then start lookin online for some....J&M is good its what we use.

·
Major Enthusiast
238 Posts
imported post

t802950 wrote:
Yep, got to agreewith you, cb will be the choice for us because my dad just confirmed his dinosaur has a cb lol, now he needs to get a headset, any recommendations on headsets for him???
There are a number of choices. First question, what kind of helmet does your dad have? Full, flip, 3/4, 1/2?

I think the Harley system uses a 5 pin connector, and I think they may even be the same pin-out as a Goldwing.

I use Airriders, and like them.

Many use J&M headsets. I have found their customer service has been very good.

EDsetsare well thought of by a lot of board members on GL1800riders

IMC seems reasonably priced, but I have no experience with them

Which headset is right for you depends on how critical you are of sound quality, and what youexpect. If you just want to use the CB, most anything will work. You would have a better experience if you chose one with a good noise cancelling microphone. If you will have aco-rider, the noise cancelling mic becomes more important, since your pillion gets a lot more wind than you do. If you want music, oneof tghe higher quality sets wold be a good choice.

I would not recommend the HondaLine headsets. They ae low-end J&M units, and while there is nothing wrong with them particularly,you can get better sets for equalorf less money because ofthe additional markup Honda adds to the price equation.

=Dave=

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

FYI, Autocom appears to have closed business in the US. The UK site is still active though.

Motocomm has an portable intercom system that comes with 2 helmet headsets and cables to hook up to your phone, portable radio, GPS & MP3 player, so all you would need with that is a portable CB. It's got it's good and bad which I've discussed at length a few times. Here's a thread with some more links discussing it. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=23436&forum_id=6&highlight=Motocomm

J&M also has a few options, the handlebar CB, the portable CB kit, and their portable integrator that has an accessory cable available to connect to a handheld CB.

John

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

I am totally shocked!!! Not one person mentioned the Cardo Scala Q2 headsets. They are undoubtably the best around anywhere & if you get 2 sets they will pair witheach other allowing 4 riders/people to talk back & forth but use your own MP3 players independently. http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-q2-multiset

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.