Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Checked my final drive oil level, good. Went to tighten the filler cap and the top of the cap stripped right off at the threads. Luckily, i retrieved the threads from the bike, and put some JB Kwikweld to bond it back to the cap. It's in the vise, with a heater on it. Should cure soon.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Good luck Mike, what a strange way for a cap to break.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks, guys. Picture it like the 'stem' breaking off the mushroom 'cap.' This was an aftermarket, brand new, larger size aluminum filler cap -- 17mm. I really didn't reef on it that hard, i always only go hand tight with things. Must just be cheap casting. Anyway, i got it on there finger tight, which should be good enough. I'll pick up another one for backup. Wierd.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I've done miracles with "JB Weld" on lots of different things, car gas tanks, garbage disposels, car mirrors, spark plug sleeves that kept blowing out,bike stuff etc !

But i'd also go to a hard ware store and try to find a short bolt that fits and carry it as a spare plug !

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

JB Weld does good stuff, but I'd be looking for another cap in the meantime. You could carry a cork that would fit for an emergency plug. It ain't pretty when oil starts coming out of there.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Oh, most definitely will be replacing the cap tomorrow. It's Canada Day today, everybody was closed, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered to fix, rather replace for $4.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I like to see a man who knows how to tighten a bolt or screw, I've always recommended snug it down until it gets soft and back off one flat.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I'd go back to an OEM bolt if the aftermarket one is that bad. All you need io sthe head breaking off and the threaded part proving too hard to get out, too much bother.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I like to see a man who knows how to tighten a bolt or screw, I've always recommended snug it down until it gets soft and back off one flat.
exavid, that'sdifferent thanwhat my uncle taught me.. He always taught the farm repair method-- Tight plus 1/2 a turn..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I learned the hard way with the Jap metal "snug and a 1/4 turn and leave it alone !

On the farms they had real steel, "John Deer", "International Harvester" etc!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Anyone know if the Gl1100-1500 final drive oil cap is any different/better than the GL1000? THe stock GL1000 has only a 12mm hex on it, which is why i changed it in the first place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.