Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am not an anthropological scholar; I am a long-distance touring motorcyclist...which isn't the same thing. But I instinctively know that nomadic people are happier than people nailed down to one place. Is there a heart yet beating that doesn't soar at the beginning of any journey? I cannot be a Viking in a longboat, or a Northern Cheyenne warrior on a buffalo pony, but I can damn sure be a touring motorcyclist!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Whoaa! Slow down there CJ, somebody make you angry this morning? :shock:

Those are some pretty mean fightin' words there!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

BTW, I long for the day that I can do that stuff....:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

And we are glad you are!:action:

Bernie

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
I am not an anthropological scholar; I am a long-distance touring motorcyclist...which isn't the same thing. But I instinctively know that nomadic people are happier than people nailed down to one place. Is there a heart yet beating that doesn't soar at the beginning of any journey? I cannot be a Viking in a longboat, or a Northern Cheyenne warrior on a buffalo pony, but I can damn sure be a touring motorcyclist!
Amen.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Amen and Amen, can't wait for that day.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Hmmmm ...... CJ, souds like you are suffering from the dreaded disease of long distance Tourers- Anticipationitis.:D

Sorry, ..... No Known Cure :baffling:...... Usually Terminal :grinner: :cooler:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
imported post

Good one Dusty

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Anticipationitis it may be, but it beats stagnationipitis all hollow......

Hey, Dusty.... we found some mesh pants at Motodirect for $47.50 apiece. Hope they last the trip! So now we are almost totally Dusty-ized: mesh jacket, mesh pants, fleece jacket, fleece pants, flyweight nylon wind shells, electric vests, Frogg Toggs, ODP insulated mattresses, our old Wiggy synthetic bags, a Campmore rectangular down bag for a quilt, our old 4 person Eureka, and a supplemental Campmor silicon nylon coated tarp....... so if we ain't comfortable, we'll be talking to ya!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

What ??

Can you speak up a bit louder there, Mel!! ..... I'm a little hard o hearing!

Sounds like you'll be just fine, as long as you can get it all packed!

Watch ..... they'll have a recordwarm/dry summer this year! :gunhead: ...... but that's when the Mesh Pants will shine. Excellent price BTW! :cooler: Are they armoured?

Might want to try out the pads when you get them, so you'll know how much to inflate them for a comfy nights sleep. You don't want them too firm. I find 9-10 good breathes and it is comfy for me.
YMMV

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
and as for the pads, I'll just have Red blow 'em up....she's got better lungs than me!

:cheeky1:
Hey Mel,

I use the cheap inflater from good ole wallyworld. The one that uses 4 size "D" batteries. It packs small enough, and the batteries last more then my 2 week trips. If my memory serves me, it only takes less then 2 mins. to inflate my Big agnus (spelling) pad,,,,,,, and I have the larger one.

And I don't mind sharing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the inflater :cool:

·
Ornery Old Cuss
308 Posts
imported post

You know I use the following for my tours.
1: 10 x 10 Ozark Trails tent
2: cheap wally world camp cot (2)
3: Northface down sleeping bag (2, rectangular)
4: underarmour thermal pant (1 for each)
5: underarmour thermal shirt )1 each)
6: Denim or chambray long sleeve button down shirt (1 each)
7: cotton long sleeve jersey (tight, stretchable, 1 each)
8: tee shirt (medium loose, 3 each)
9: denim jeans (broke in, comfortable, 3 each)
10: under pant ( to taste, 3 each)
11: socks ( 3 pair each)
12: shower shoes ( pair each)
13: shoes ( I prefer a moc or other soft shoe, 1 pair each)
14: rain suit ( I use a cheap wally world type, 1 each)
15: small collapsible umbrella
16: backpackers stove
17: backpackers cook kit
18: Boy Scouts mess kit (1 each)
19: bike tool kit
20: small air inflater (for tires, I use a CO2 cartridge type with a hand pump built in)
21: litre sized water bottle
22: fold-able camp chairs ( I use the cheap ones 1 each).
23: mesh laundry bag (I hand it from a tree or post in camp to air out stuff)
24: plastic bags (for garbage, also work for emergency rain cover)

I like the cots better then pads. They get me off the ground and have a smaller storage footprint then the pads.

after trial and error you learn how to pack it all. I pack tent, cots and chairs on trunk lid rack. I put tools, inflator, and stove in fairing pocket. I put all my personal items in one saddle bag and wives stuff in other saddlebag and trunk. If that doesn't cover all? I pull out the cargo trailer, load the bike with everything, then tell the wive she can take whatever fits in the trailer:)

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

mcdonl wrote:
No 9mm dbl barell derringer tucked in there anywhere? :)
You don't pack that, you wear it!

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Well, I hate to admit it but I think you have it too. Just yesterday I tried to explain it to my 81 year old mother.

Somewhere along the line of my family tree, there was some Hobo blood.

The need to jump a fast moving train, not really worrying about where it was going. It was just going.

I have two cousins, that have many problems. And they will die one day, with those problems. They just can't seem to get away from that Hobo blood.

If it had not been for my wife and 2 daughters, I would be standing by the track right now, waiting for that train.

At night I can hear the whistle, but mine isthe wind thru the fairing and windscreen on my goldwing.

So pack those bags. Get Red on the back and go looking for that camp. There will probably be some other Hobo there to swap tales with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.