Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got back from Hot Springs riding our 81 & 82 GL1100 Naked Old Wings. It was a great ride going and coming, and we did the Mountains North on 7...........
But Every time we stopped,, the Bikers would come over and ask questions about our old bikes,,,,,, then they would say that they used to own a GL1100,,,,,,not just one Harley Rider said this, but every Harley Rider said this....GL1100's must of been like McDonalds--over a Billion were Sold.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,413 Posts
There were and still are a lot of them, best bike ever made IMO. Simple, tough and dependable.
Didn't see you at the midwest meet & greet though.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did not go all the way to Eureka Springs, should have but we were out of time. Would of enjoyed meeting everyone, maybe next year.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I am beginning a love affair with my new to me 1100. Running and performance wise, I am very impressed.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I get this some on the 1200A as well. You have to remember though, back then, Goldwing was the bike to have. When I bought a new one in 1984, there were Wings seemingly everywhere. Harley riders where few and far between, mostly die hard bikers, and I say that in a respectable way.

I remember going to state Wing rallies when they were held out in a field and it would be just crammed with GLs. These were just state events.

Honda probably sold 10-15 times the Wings back in the early 80s as they do today.

Then, a couple of actors got in accidents on a Harley, and the rest is history. Yes, I suspect a lot of todays Harley riders did once own a Goldwing.

I have had several friends over the years who owned Wings, and now it is just my wife and I that still ride one. Most only kept them a short while. The most was about 5 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.