Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was crawling around installing my spiffy new Motorcycle Larry's rear "Tip-Over" bars (I know, I know.... rear crash bars come standard on Goldwings.....!) on my ST1300, when I spied what you see below on my rear Michelin Pilot Road 2 with 8,995 miles under its belts.......

Oh, no! Tire is trash! Unrideable! Wait a minute.... one bike, the KLR, sits in the laundry room waiting for a repaired camshaft cap...Unrideable! The ST1300 sits under my porch with a hole in the tire....Unrideable! Suddenly, unfathomably, I am motorcycleless in Ellensburg! Panic! Hallllpppp!

(On a serious note: I found this by accident. I knew the tires were getting there, but I wanted another 1000-2000 miles out of them. When am I gonna learn that what I want doesn't matter! This happened to me once before on our second Alaskan trip. I knew the rear on our '96 Aspie was getting thin, but I didn't want to pay Anchorage prices for new rubber....decided to ride it home. The morning after we finally got home, I went out and nearly died of a stuttering heart! There was an 1.25" strip of bare cord nearly all around the tire! The day before I had been doing eighty to eighty five on it, two-up.....dumb luck in action. Check your tires, people, every day......)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

holy moley

i cant speak for everyone i check my oil, tire psi, and tire condition at least once a week

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Those things do have a habit of showing up unexpectedly. I've replaced two pretty new E3s due to road damage. Just last week on a ride with some friends we discovered two cuts in his tires. One each in the front and back. The back one became a 1.5" flap by the time he got home. Last Saturday we changed them in my garage and got a better look. Good thing he had new tires on hand already, I wouldn't have wanted to ride around the block on those he had. While we were at it I discovered his rear caliper sleeve was just about completely frozen in place. So I cleaned up the sleeve and donated a spare pair of rear pads to his project. We sent him home with a much improved bike.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

exavid wrote:
I discovered his rear caliper sleeve was just about completely frozen in place. So I cleaned up the sleeve and donated a spare pair of rear pads to his project. We sent him home with a much improved bike.
How come you're never around when I need you?

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
imported post

CJ, good to see you use *all* your tire :applause::cooler::cooler::cooler:

Is that the kind of mileage you typically get from the rear rubber on your ST?

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
imported post

Ya know Mel, a shot from a hot glue gun and that little blemish will be filled right in.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

BustedKnuckle wrote:
CJ, good to see you use *all* your tire :applause::cooler::cooler::cooler:

Is that the kind of mileage you typically get from the rear rubber on your ST?
Yeah, I'm afraid so... when I went from our totalled 1500 to the ST, I was kind of excited because the tires seemed a bit less expensive. But they are turning out to be more expensive because you go through more of them. I've got 16,700 miles on my bike; OEM tires lasted 7,800 or so, and now I need a new rear....but the front looks like it can go another 1-2K. An ST site I visit says 8k to 11K is about the most you can expect.... I do a lot of two-up with campgear on the bike, long and hot distances, so I guess 9K is about it.

This Michelin Pilot Road 2 on the bike is interesting: they handle beautifully, especially in the rain, and are of a "two composition" make up, harder in the middle and softer on the "cornering" sides..... if you look at the photo carefully, you can see the middle held up pretty good, but the sides are definitely hammered... gotta find me some straighter roads, I guess! :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

Bought my wing with used tires and rode it some , now im on new but not long enough to see who the wear goes . However my V start has 12 K on the orginal tires and they still look very good .

Weight has to do with it , lack of HP in the V star too im sure but it amazes me how different makes of bike will either wear quick or last very well on the same brand of tire .

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Well, crud and double-crud......

this is crud....

(but notice how easy it is to get the rear wheel off....10 minutes max!

and this is double-crud.......

must stay calm....must stay calm.....

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Some chewing gum could plug that hole. Probably last another thousand miles. :)

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Some chewing gum could plug that hole. Probably last another thousand miles. :)
DoubleMint or Juicy Fruit? :cheeky1:

BTW, chewing gum is actually illegal here, but that is one of the few things you WON'T get executed for.... :tongue:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I thought it was common knowledge that only Juicy Fruit can be used for tires. You know to NEVER EVER try Bubble Yum, right? We all know what happens. No reason to go into graphic details.

So - on the illegality of chewing gum - is it simply not sold, or just illegal to have out in public? Does a black market for such exist??

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
So - on the illegality of chewing gum - is it simply not sold, or just illegal to have out in public? Does a black market for such exist??
Sorry, it's simply not sold, and it's also illegal to possess it, either publicly or privately. An orderly society like ours would NEVER have a black market of ANY variety.....

A-hem..... <cough> cigarette smuggling from Malaysia, for example! <cough>

We do have a Red Light District, though!! Go figure....

:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

It’s good to know that I’m not the only one that can find themselves riding on a worn out tire.

I had to replace my back tire in October while on a road trip to Arizona. It was worn out!
I had looked it over in September before heading for Montrose and it look pretty good, but neglected to get down and look at before heading out a month later. While on the road heading to Laughlin I checked it and replaced it as soon as I could in Kingman, Az.

They told me that I got my money worth out of the tire!

I have been watching my front tire very closely. I have a new one to put on, but waiting until I need it. Soon very soon.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

clpete wrote:
I have been watching my front tire very closely. I have a new one to put on, but waiting until I need it. Soon very soon.
Honestly then, it's time to change it. Once you feel you need to watch it closely, your confidence may start to diminish. You may start behaving a little more delicately with the bike, and start doing things to "save" as much as you have left of the tire. A little less-aggressive braking as one example.

Such a change in behaviour can start making you ride overall slightly differently, and, ironically, may promote you getting into an accident.

Also, tires experience more issues in the last 10% of their life than in any other stage.

I used to "get every mile" - now I've changed, and the moment I'm looking any tire a little suspect, I order a new one.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
I used to "get every mile" - now I've changed, and the moment I'm looking any tire a little suspect, I order a new one.
I'm with you, Rusty. Having personally experienced a rear blow-out at speed has made me an absolute fanatic about tire safety. If they are not 100% safe, I simply do not ride.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
imported post

Same here. It about killed me to replace my front this spring with only 2K on it. One teeny little screw and a pinhole leak totaled it for me.:X

Back in the day I would have patched it and rode on....no more. I like my skin too much these days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.