Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1100 stand is slightly out of shape in that when the bike is on it the foot operating lever touches before the side stand side leg does and I assumed that was what was making it a little difficult to 'pop' on

so as the weather wasn't to bad today and the bike engine is still out I thought take the stand of and get it realigned a dead simple job

WRONG
the stand is siezed onto the pivot shaft and is working because the whole shaft is turning in the clamps, no wonder its difficult

and now to the problem I have tried heat, heat and hammer drift, heat on the outside and cooling water down the shaft centre, release oil and then gave up
I am reluctant to take a grinder to it as these stands are like hens teeth in the UK and the transport costs from the USA are massive

Does anyone have any ideas on how to release this shaft?

Many thanks for any ideas

Rob

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Have you tried a large 'G' clamp (the larger the better)braced against a hollow tube or socket at one end and a dolly at the other. Put as much force as you dare on the clamp, then try the free releasing oil, heat and shock method.

The extra inline pushing force should help break the hold corrosion has on the spindle.As the spindle starts to move apply more tension on the clamp fit deeper socket and longer dolly, remebering to work the sindle back an forth so the lubricant can get at the dry spots.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

JOHNO wrote:
Have you tried a large 'G' clamp (the larger the better)braced against a hollow tube or socket at one end and a dolly at the other. Put as much force as you dare on the clamp, then try the free releasing oil, heat and shock method.

The extra inline pushing force should help break the hold corrosion has on the spindle.As the spindle starts to move apply more tension on the clamp fit deeper socket and longer dolly, remebering to work the sindle back an forth so the lubricant can get at the dry spots."

Hi Johno

Thanks for that but I am afraid I don't understand what you mean by a 'dolly'

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

I recently fitted a power park stand to my 1500, what a bitch of a job!!!

Luckily hammers, brass bar (to prevent to much damage), slide hammer, releasing oil and a lot of patience got it out.

It took me three or four nights in the garage with it coming out a little at a time. Do not forget when you get it out and you will get it out paint everything with something like hammerite and pack it with good quality grease.

Good luck

Terry

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Hi had the same problem in restoring mine. The PO had a press at work and used this. Try a local engineer firm. I think mine came back to me in two parts. Probally sawn off part way through. the replacements are cheap. the honda dealer can get one for about 16.oo quid.

I had to bend the tangs of the clamps to get mine off.

When re installing use a lot of copper slip on the new tube.

I gather it was a one ton press!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.