Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought a 1975 GL1000 about2 months ago. It needed new paint and a good cleaning andnew tires. I put around 350 miles on it and then trouble hit.

popping ang backfireing I found this forum and I think I have read every page. by doing so I have now located the problems . some one had the carbs off and when i open them up i found that the float stop had been broken off that and the air cut off needs rebuilt. I have parts on way and should be riding again within 2 weeks. Another bad thing was Thunder in the Valley was this week end and I had no bike to ride :X.. So thank you all for the help that you did not know you gave. Great Fourm . Thank you again. I will post a photo when I get it up and runing again.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet, grayfox!:waving::waving:

Glad to see you posting! Also glad the forum was of use to you. Hope you get back on two wheels soon.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

grayfox,
Welcome to the site! When I got my '85 1200A, I found the place and like you I read all the listings. I picked up a LOT of info!! Hope you get it running good soon!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

Hello Greyfox

Your problem with the backfire appears familiar to me. As you might know, the classic wings always hadproblems with the points. I frequently experienced backfiring or missfiring.I replaced the points and spark plugs several times. Then the engine ran fine for a short time only. After long troubleshooting for several weeks, because it only happened frequently, I found one of the 2 wires (blue and yellow) ofthe connectors which are connected to the points bad. That shorted to the housing. After replacement of the wires I had no more missfire since.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Grayfox and keep us informed on your progress.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I now have the carbs rebuilt , new points, new plugs,valves set, timing set, I even had a shop check the carbs. Now I still have a miss every now and then and a lite back fire out the exhause when going down hill like pop poppop // runs great and idles great at 900 rpm / Oh yea I did check all wires for a bad one and a short found none.

Got me I have done everything any Ideas ?? :?

Love this old bike alot of people ask "what year is that" . I think I will look for another one this winter ( Toys ya know )

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

My bike is running excellent. Rebuilt carbs, new points, timing belts, tuned up, etc. I still get popping out the exhaust. I'm thinking that the culprit is aftermarket float valve needle/seat, ie, not a tight fit. However, i get 50+mpg on the highway, and the plugs read perfect. Go figure. The only other thing i might do is replace the battery. Weak ignition and fuel delivery are kryptonite for these bikes. Glad it's running great! PS...i'm also thinking that the points breaker wires (blue/yellow) running to the coils might be a slight problem, as mentioned by Classico. Doing static timing it was hard to get the test light bright always -- maybe a short...Electrics can mask carb troubles...

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

hope this photo works . It runs :clapper:put 87 miles on it today and all works GREAT. I went over everything again and I found 1 bad wire (plug) that was green ( Green plug thats bad ) cleaned it and IT RUNS . will put another 50 on her Fri. Thank you all for the help. Have any of you ever came to Thunder in the Valey in Johnstown Pa. ? The Newspaper said we had 180,000 people this year.
Grandchildren in photo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out grayfox! :clapper:

It's nice when you get to play with your toys! :cooler:

Bob :11grey:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.