Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I rode my goldwing on monday of this week, when I parked it in a handicap zone as I am hadicaped, to go into lowes to check on some things for the wifes remodling of our kitchen and when I was done. Went out to my bike that I was going to trike for my wife and low and behold there was a straight job truck sitting on top of it and the cops hand cuffing the drunk driver who destroyed my bike, believe when I say destroyed there isn't anything left usable, and now the indurance company is trying to make a deal with me to total it and give a some of 500.00 for the bike so now I have a lawyer in volved because I know that my bike is more than that. So now its a wait an see thing as of now, I was going to put every step on here on the trike build but now it seems to be on hold. as there is no bike to build. I just hope they put the royal screws to the drunk driver that destroyed everything for me. all I can say and agree with my wife was at least I wasn't on the bike when it happened. I will let everyone know the outcome when I know.

·
Just one of the guys
4,804 Posts
imported post

That stinks, and I mean it stinks big time!

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

ITs good to hear you were safely away from the bike . Sorry though to hear you have lost the base of your project . The Lord sure works in mysterious ways .

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear that. Start watching ebay, and printing out the page with the final selling price. Then you can show what they're selling for.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Is it possible to sue the irresponsible drunk driver?

What an idiot. He really needs to pay.

Thank goodness you were not on that bike.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Glad you were not on it!!

I would also be interested in what brand insurance company says $500..

And hopefully he had insurance (or even if he didn't) .. this is the one that you should be going after.. better not to go through your own ins company if you can help it.. I don't think anyone is making it your falult..

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Hope there is some way the lawyer can get something from the drunk to replace your bike. Hard to replace the one you had though.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sure sorry to hear such rotten news.:sadguy:

Nothing gets my dander up like a damn drunk driver. Stupid sobs.:whip::whip::whip::whip:

I hope you get more out of the insurance company than that $500 after the lawyer's fees. Keep us posted on the matter if you can.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

dwsonar wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Start watching ebay, and printing out the page with the final selling price. Then you can show what they're selling for.
Actually, when you search ebay, search completed auctions. Look for the green prices, they are items that actually sold.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear! Look also at craigslist, as our Las Vegas one as had a few deals latley.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Our son had his Honda Civic ricer totalled in a much similar way. The insurance company didn't want to hear or did not care that the machine was in tip top shape and had a large investment in improvements. They were going to pay Blue Book on the trade in price b/c that's all they were obligated to do. Our son contacted a billboard lawyer about this business and all he asked was "Were you hurt? If not you are going to be paid for what is now a pile of sheetmetal with a lot of exotic parts." Oh, and suing the drunk? Probably not that much to start with all things considrerd.
God Bless all involved, Patrick

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

When you say "Straight Job Truck" Are you saying this was a company truck this fellow was driving drunk in??

If so, the company will be at fault for allowing employees to drive the trucks while drunk. Does the company have a written policy that the employee can't drive and drink?? As stupid as that sounds, it's not. If the company has no policy, and it happened, then they are part of the suit.

Sorry to hear about your bike, but Im sure something good will come out of this.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I feel your pain. It really makes you mad when your a victim of someone else's stupidity. Although mine wasn't destroyed I was hit a few weeks ago at a stop sign by an idiot with no license. Fortunately he had insurance and they are going to honor my claim. I should be getting a check any day for $2260 worth of parts and labor to fix it.

The good thing is that I can get all the parts needed for about $500 and put it back together myself. I've already gotten the tail light replaced. A member of this forum was kind enough to donate it to me.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

yes it was a company truck, my lawyer has been in contact with them and found out that they do have a no drinking and driving policy. the bike had alot of aftermarket add ons in which my insurance company knew about. the company insurance wanted to settle quickly and get out of it as my lawyer says but now its not the case. My insurance was going to pay me the insured price I had on it but my lawyer told them to wait for now as he thinks he can get a whole lot more. because of my disablitity I had some special controls on the bike. And they are gone as well.I was going to transfer them over to the bike I got for trading my racecar for and build this bike as a trike for my wife. And by the way the lawyer is a good friend of mine and he is doing this for free because he hates drunk drivers and I already had built his sons racecar for him. So for now that is all I know for now. And thank you for the support I really appreciate it. Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Very glad to see that you were not on the bike. It's still a sad day when another wing has to get totaled. I think you are going to come out ok in the end though. Good luck and keep us informed. Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,135 Posts
imported post

Dennis,

sorry to hear of the incident and the loss of your bike.

Good documentation with insurance companies helps a lot. As you did, I documented all of the extra options/parts on my bike with my insurance policy. Plus, I bought a "cost of replacement" rider with the policy.

Saved me when my bike was totaled by a Penske semi truck.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

When we insured our trike, we went with Gieco, to keep the cost down. Been with em 4 years. Got our policy in the mail yesterday, and guess what? "Trike Kits will not be covered". This was slipped right in past our noses 4 years ago. So basically, had we got creamed, or the trike destroyed/stolen, we woulda been screwed bigtime!! Please read your policy!!! These bastards are slipping crap right past you. We asked for "Insurance for our trike" point blank when we talked to the agent on day one. We basically put a match to about a grand in payments, all false security FOR 4 YEARS!!!!!! PLEASE understand your policy!!! I should be ashamed, cause I know better than to take the word of an insurance company. My EX was a subrigator/adjuster, and I divorced her. So sorry about the dumbass who killed your trike project. That sucks hard. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Ok no new news to report as yet but checked insurance and everything is covered, so that is a big worry off my mind.
Had an offer from a friend today, he is willing to give me an older yamaha xs1100 for my trike build for my wife for free, I know its not a honda but is very appealing because it is a fulldresser. Also my wife doesn't care what make it is as long as she gets her own bike. or as I should say trike.What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

That was real bad luck dcryder. I hope the insurance company does the right thing, sometimes they do.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.