Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I heard something about a recall from Honda regarding this problem.
Bike runs fine above 2000 rpm. But when I take off from a start position, the bike wants to stall out or hesitate!

Is it possibly a small vacuum line leaking somewhere at the carbs?
I heard online that this problem only showed up on the 1988-89 models.
Mine is a 1993 with this problem.
Any help or tips to remedy this problem would be really appreciated!

Happy riding, from Steve (Toronto, Canada)

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

not sure of a recall but if i suspected a vacum leak i would get a can of spray brake cleaner and spray it in the suspect area with the engine running, if you find a leak the engine will stumble

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Will certainly give it a try!
Thanks for the tip....

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

on the early model 1500 you may need to install a timing advavced wheel that goes under the timing belts. this advances the timing and suppose to help with off the line hesitation. a 4 degree wheel is good.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

also, check to be sure the carb slides are not gum'd up.

do a 'forum search' for... carb slides..; lots of info will come up.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I bought this bike July 12th.
It was doing this the day I bought it. I told the owner about it, he didn't seem to do anything about it.

I keep hearing about having the vacuum lines inspected!

Steve

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I put that 'Sea Foam' stuff in the fuel tank. The problem still remains!

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

It actually idles perfectly at 900 rpm.
It's only when I take off from a stand-still it cuts out for a few seconds. I get a -bog-down- effect then, the power kicks in hard!!
On several occasions, the bike stalled out on me causing traffic jams and horn beeping! :(

Steve

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Have a look at my posts and you will see I had no end of troublewith this. Mine idled nice and steady right down to 300rpm but went straight from 300 to 3000rpm!

Easy steps. Change the air filter and the sub air filter. Sync the carbs.

After that it's look for a bad vac hose and it will probablybe the one underneath the carbs and the heat shield. If any of them are bad, get the genuine item. I tried to save money by making them up only to tear it all down again and do it properly.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

[line]
[line]
These are the locations of the two sub filters. You will have to take off quite a bit of plastics to get to them. Once you do.....use starter fluid to check for vacuum leaks. Having the tupperwear off will allow you to spray all around the carbs. Short bursts and look for increase in idle.

RED

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

WOW!!!
An excellent diagram.. Thanks.
I may end up letting a shop do it as I live in an apartment hi-rise with a shared underground garage. There are no facilities to do any large repairs down there.

Thanks for the help!

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

It was given to me by the forum.

You will find that some dealerships will not work on the bike friend. (to old) And worse.....even screw up the job. Do not bring that wing to anyone that has not been recommended by the forum.....or someone else you trust. For now though....you could at least due that main air filter. And continue using additive. Avoid traffic and head out to the freeway. Never know.....she might clear up. Or your air filter could be filled with acorns.

Good luck,

RED

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks!
I checked the air filter 2 weeks ago. I used compressed air to blow it clean. I used a paper towel to mop up any residue that was present in the cage around the top of the carbs.
The air filter wasn't that dirty..

I need someone in Toronto, Ontario that can fix it for me at a reasonable price!

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

[line]
A hint of the labor........It's not as bad as it looks. LOL

[line]
Eventually you will dive deeper into your wing over time.

How about a recommendation for this fellow in terms of the right shop to use?

RED

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

spray out the carbs and cup them with your fingers to suck hard(run it up good)repeat...best to spray thru your fingers while cupping.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

I suspect your accelerator pump on the carbs that has a small diafram is cracked or the two swan neck jets off it are blocked what happens is when you twist the trottle it squirts a Small amount of gas down the troth of the carbs to take up the lag before the gas gets to be sucked through the carb idle jets that run the engine up to 1500rpm then the main jets kick in

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.