Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently installed the 416's on my'83I and was suprised at how firm they are. What I didn't know was that they apparently come in different spring weights, light,medium, and heavy. I ordered them through a well respected vendor,toldhim what I was putting them onand made perhaps the mistake of presuming he would send me the appropriate shocks. So, I don't have to run very much air in the system(15-30lbs)but man, is the ride firm. Hmm. I'm a portly individual(4x size shirts) and I would think that I should have to run more air in the system. One thing about it, the bike doesn't bottom out anymore and the handling is superb. So what's my beef, you ask? Shouldn't I have been asked how firmI wanted the ride to be? That's all. :gunhead:

I guess the point to all this is, is if you're interested in buying Progressives for your bike, I would suggest that you contact Progressive themselves and tell them how much weight you're going to be carrying on average and see what they have to say about it before you order.

Hobie:11red::goofygrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I recently installed the 416's on my'83I and was suprised at how firm they are. What I didn't know was that they apparently come in different spring weights, light,medium, and heavy. I ordered them through a well respected vendor,toldhim what I was putting them onand made perhaps the mistake of presuming he would send me the appropriate shocks. So, I don't have to run very much air in the system(15-30lbs)but man, is the ride firm. Hmm. I'm a portly individual(4x size shirts) and I would think that I should have to run more air in the system. One thing about it, the bike doesn't bottom out anymore and the handling is superb. So what's my beef, you ask? Shouldn't I have been asked how firmI wanted the ride to be? That's all. :gunhead:

I guess the point to all this is, is if you're interested in buying Progressives for your bike, I would suggest that you contact Progressive themselves and tell them how much weight you're going to be carrying on average and see what they have to say about it before you order.
Progressives come in 416-1633 -1623 and -1613 versions. The only difference is the spring weight. I had 416-1633s on my bike when I got it. The original owner was 6'4" and around 275lbs (a Sheriff's Deputy who never had to draw his pistol) he and his wife used to do a lot of 2up. I found them to bea bit harsh after my 1200 SEI and recently put OEM shocks back on my bike. I've since put new seals in the 416s and am awaiting new boots for them. I'm pretty much leaning toward putting them back on the bike. I think the bike felt a lot more solid on the road with the Progressives on the front and rear.I think the springs can be changed, you might want to contact Progressive Suspension. They have a tech phone: Techline - 760.948.4012

BTW when I had the 416s apart I'm still not sure how the things worPhone & Fax The bottom part, ram or piston seems only to be held parallel with the outer case by the one plastic bushing just above the seal. With the seal and bushing out there is side play in the piston shaft that has the lower eye. The bushing is only a little over 3/8" thick plastic, seems there ought to be more keeping the whole thing in line. Apparently it works but it doesn't look like it ought to!

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

In retrospect, I'm going to leave well enough alone. I've had the opportunity to try some different road surfaces and the bike handles wonderfully.You may of read my post(416's and such)where I went on and on about all the different things I did to the bike in the last month.All I can add is that with a little effort, some cash, and good forums like this, you can make an old girl ride like a virgin:cheeky1:. I can't say that can I? I mean my bike is tight as a , no, can't say that either. My Goldwing drives very nicely.

See ya.

:11red:

Hobie

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Hi Hobie, it's great that the springs worked out so good for you, but, I'm wondering if they top out (opposite of bottoming out) over bumps at all.

Vic
Vic, I don't know if Hobie's do but mine didn't on the 1500. I have experienced a bottoming with the OEM shocks today and the bike doesn't feel quite as good as it did with the 416sso I'm going to put the 416s back on as soon as I can get a couple new boots from Progressive. The slightly harsher ride is worth putting up with.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Vic, I haven't felt them top out but most of the road surfaces I've ridden on so far wouldn't present that scenario. I do like the ride. My wife and I put on a 100 miles this afternoon and we were quite comfortable, except for the 25-30mph cross wind we had to endure.

The ride is a lot firmer but the handling is great and sure footed. Love my Venom Xs too.

Hobie

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
Vic, I haven't felt them top out but most of the road surfaces I've ridden on so far wouldn't present that scenario. I do like the ride. My wife and I put on a 100 miles this afternoon and we were quite comfortable, except for the 25-30mph cross wind we had to endure.

The ride is a lot firmer but the handling is great and sure footed. Love my Venom Xs too.

Hobie
I found the 416s really pay off when riding 2 up. That's the main reason I'm putting mine back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.