Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, here is my GL1000! I found some very useful information have had some great assistance from this list - Thank you to All.

I'm 46 now and when this bike came out I had a 550/4. I alway hoped to have a 75-79 street version, and with marriage, kids, school, university and life I never got to it. My wife let me get this because I promised it wouldn't cost more than 500 to 750 to put back on the road, and she knew I wouldn't spend more on it. I'm at around 600 on it and I've scoped out a pair of Michelins for new rubber. Woohoo!

What has gone into it (not including a trip across one province ;-):
front brake line, front master cylinder kit, set of brake pads, new rim, 3 oil changes, rad flush, rad cap, thermostat, new rad hoses, 1-1/2 ht carb rebuild (a real one this December), by-passed air cut-off valve, new/used points, oil filter banjo bolt, front trany/w-pump seal kit, new rocker covers - painted, modified 1200 tensioners, new timing belts, two levers, pair of switch sets for bars, head light bucket, seat, 4 blinkers, rebuilt instrument cluster (from Ebay basket case cluster), $39.00 saddle bags (not shown), new mirrors, set gap & timing, adjusted clutch - bottom case, flush the poop out of the forks and two changes of fork oil (got my wifes runners ;-) boy she was upset), cleaned up rusty brake switches, new battery, made my own instrument voltage reg, new plugs, copper no-siezed most screws and bolts, used false tank covers and side covers, used side stand, and polished front forks- the carbs are next.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Well done Jim, very nice work. You got away ligthly with what you had to spend. The GL1100 pipes look super and certainly not out of place. I hope you have a lot of fun on it. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
imported post

Very nice indeed Jim. It can be hard to know when to stop with these old Wings, buying this and improving that and before you know it you hav a major bill on hand. You managed to get the beast looking good and probably running good too. Well done.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Wow, that's a nice looking Bike !! Very clean ! And the 1100 pipes look like they came with it ! I would think the back pressure is close to the same ? Good job ! Now put it in the Wind !

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

For anyone thinking that a job like this is impossible, just check out the "came from dump" photo. I thought that the "blown engine" would be atleast $300 in parts, but it was just badly gapped points and shut down carbs. I forgot about mentioning a ton of other parts, but some are just cheaper getting from JCWhitney, or one of the other online providers... Cheaper than a wrecker would charge.

:)

:waving:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

What a fantastic looking salvage job, you've got every right to be proud of your handy-work...:D

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Wha ! ! :grinner:This bike is just the last word. :clapper: It's an absolute credit to you the way that you have restored this machine. :jumper:Congrats and very well done. :waving:

:santawaving: :18red: :santawaving:

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Way to go Jim, you're the man! Well worth the effort and I bet you are real glad you started the job.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks guys. If my deck didn't have 5 steps down to get the bike off I'ld have it on the road now! I can't wait until spring time. As soon as I get the carbs and engine running smoothly, it'll be on the road (for a couple of minutes at least!) ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.