Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Finally dove into the rebuild of my 82 GL1100 Interstate. It took me longer to load the pictures than it did to tear down the bike.:smiler:

I don't know how long this will take me, but I'm sure longer that I want. Any input and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I had a few things removed before I grabbed the camera, so here is what I have gotten myself into.

">

Here's the first hurdle I have hit. This is the left side removable frame section. I noticed some small pin holes with a little rust, picked at it with my chipping hammer and found it to be just a wee bit thin. Luckily, I have already found a replacement. Still going over the rest of the frame with a fine tooth comb.
[img]http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery/42647/42647_011232_520000000.jpg

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Dang, already messed up. Let me try again.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Good luck with your winter work Dan. Looks like you have a few minor hurdles to jump but the outcome will be well worth it. Check the cross member that the center stand attaches to, it also has a history of rust. If you don't already know about it, you may find some interest in www.ngwclub.com during your work.

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks, Jack

Like many I have been keeping up with Ginsco's rebuild. When I decided to do mine, his was the very first one I came across.

Anyway I didn't realize the cross section rusted that way.

I have checked mine, but honestly it is a little tough to check with the centerstand bracket in the way. I put an 18" Crescent on it and tried to move it back and forth. It seems solid but I'm still a bit unsure. I considered cutting it off to get a better check of the tubing itself.

Any other ideas I may use?

The NGWClub site is still on my list of to do's. I have found a lot of info from this site and a couple others already.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The chipping hammer works wonders for finding soft spots in places that are hard to get at.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Wow :shock:

Thats quite the tear down.

I don't think I could ever tackle a project like that, My memory just isn't that good to get it all back together the right way....

My hats off to you and will be watching this.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Wow :shock:

Thats quite the tear down.

I don't think I could ever tackle a project like that, My memory just isn't that good to get it all back together the right way....

My hats off to you and will be watching this.
That's why you need a good camera. Take lots of pics.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

A good camera, lots of ziplock baggies and plenty of Sharpie markers!! Also need a corner of the shop/garage to stack all of the parts taken off.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Looking for suggestions. This is the right lower front of frame. I'm thinking of cutting out the cancerous spot and welding in a patch from a like or similar frame.

Pros and cons from anyone that has run into this problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hoping I have a solution to my problems here. Have an 83 Aspy that was sitting behind my cousins bike dealership. The frame seems solid, but won't know until I tear it down.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
imported post

Wow I'll be watching this with interest. I am tearing down my 82i right now too except I have no idea what I am doing and am learning as I go! What all do you plan on doing during the rebuild/refresh?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Once I get the frame thing settled I am going to blast and powder coat it. I also plan on the same for the other black parts. I would also like to powder coat the engine but it won't be sand blasted. I want to see if a soda blaster will remove the old paint.
I am using the electrolosis method to get the rust out of the gas tank. I plan on blasting and powder coating it also.
Mechanically, rebuilding the carbs, front fork seals, rear shock seals, rebuild brake calipers, new seal in the final drive, new wheel, steering, and possibly swing arm bearings, new timing belts, fuel lines, brake lines and on and on. If something is questionable, I want to fix it. I do not want to take it apart again.
I also am going to sand and paint all the plastic. I am going to do the prep work, but have a friend of mine do the spraying. I have painted quite a bit, but I can't hold a candle to his level.
It needs a new seat, and of course, polish, polish, polish.
Basically I am doing a lot more than I have the time or money to do.;)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Congratulations on the replacement frame Dan. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

best thing to do was to find a replacement frame. if you can see rust there's bunches more you can't. nice choice. tal strip should take the paint off the engine. but just a good sanding if the paint is all there. the old paint makes the best primer.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I found the cross tube on the 83 under the centerstand bracket just a wee bit rusty. I cut it out and will replace it soon. Looks like an easy fix.
The center stand on the 83 is in better shape than my 82 so I decided to swap them. The pivot pin in the 83 was stuck solid and it was rotating in the bracket. After trying to get the pin out using several options, my impatience kicked in and I decided to cut the tube off the 83 stand and replace it with the one from my 82. Also, the bracket from the 82 is in better shape than the 83, but it was still thin from wear and rust so I had to build it up. So to sum it up, the 83 stand has the 82 tube and pivot pin mounted to the 82 bracket which will mount to the 83 frame. Whew!!
Hopefully the pics will help.
The 83 stand with the stuck pivot pin.

The 82 stand. Notice the reinforcement I welded on years ago after the left leg twisted on me.

The 82 bracket. Notice the wear areas and the small hole on the left side.

The left side built up and ground down.

The right side built up before grinding

A little support on the inside for safe keeping.

Everything together.

I don't know why my pictures are so big this time.:wtf:

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hey all, I've replaced the crosstube and center stand bracket, blasted and powdercoated some parts, blasted the frame and found another bad spot that I am fixing today, and would like to include pics. I've uploaded the pix to my gallery, but when I add them to the reply they are huge. (see above) The first pix I loaded are smaller on the forum. I've compared the dimensions between the early pix and the latest and they are the same. Any ideas?

Also looking for suggestions on rebuild kits for forks and rear shocks. OEM or aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I think I have this pic thing figured out.:shock:

Here's the crosstube repair. I cut a fishmouth in each end then ground to fit.

I painted the area with high temp ceramic paint (3000 degree) so it wouldn't rust inside, and not be burned off by the welding.

Then I measured and tacked in place. When I was satisfied, I welded it solid.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Ok, now I remembered I can't put all the pictures on one post.:applause:
Centerstand bracket welded in place.

">I thought I had everything complete until the sandblasting found a new problem. This area is stamped metal and very thin. Plus on the left side, it has a nice entrance for moisture and dirt but no exit. I cut it open and found the top third of the tubing also rusted though. The right side doesn't rust because it has and exit opening.
[img]http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery/42647/42647_281312_580000000.jpg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.