Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday it sounded different on the left side below the foot rest,sure enough it 's a pin hole blowing out. How do you get the chrome exhaust cover off? I can still make a repair on the bike without removing the pipe.Thanks all

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I think you would be better off removing the entire exhaust system to make any repairs. The 1200 exhaust systems ofen rust in the area you speak of. That would be the end of the header pipe and the header pipe recepticle portion of the main system. The also rust along the seam in the main body.The screws that hold the chrome cover on are difficult to remove even with the system off. You will probably need an impact screwdriver and plenty of penetrating fluid. If the header pipe and area are rusty you can have new adapters made and welded into place. If you take it apart you should be able to reuse the chrome clamps but you will need new gaskets. nine times out of ten the exhaust systems are worse than they appear from the outside.......you might be able to make a temporary repair without removing the entire system but you will most likely have to go at it again in the near future....

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
The chrome, as mentioned, is held on with screws. It might not be a bad idea to pull the exhaust anyway as the gaskets may be cooked too. But I can tell you with my exhaust off and locked in a vice using and impact driver, map gas torch, and penitrating oil I STILL couldn't get the stinkin' screws out and I'm in AZ where rust is minimal if at all.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
The exhaust is about the only thing I have not had problems with on my LTD. Is the leak in a place where you can get a hose clamp around the pipe? If so, you can get some heatproof material, put it against the pipe, then put a hose clamp around it to hold it in place. They sell this material at auto parts stores to fix holes in car exhausts.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
Ebanjo why did you use kwick instead of regular on the exhaust.
I like the 2 part clay like material and it dries fast. It is still holding. But I have another set off a 79 that are not rusted out I'll be putting on. Probably when I replace the coolant tube gaskets and a round 2 it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.