Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was riding my "85"LTD and the Fuel system light came on and the bike died. It started right up again. Did this a few times and I thought it might be bad fuel as I had just filled the tank. Got throug that tank and refilled. Last night I was going for a ride with friends. Started the bike in the garage and the Fuel system light stayed on. Turned it off, started it again, no light. Drove about 10 miles and shut it down and when I tryed to start it again it didn't. Noticed that the Fuel system lights were not lit on the dash. Acording to the manual they are suppose to light when the key is on? Any Ideas???? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Check main fuse, connectors and if fuel pump is running. Check spark.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the welcome.. I am wondering were to purchase a new fuel filter other than the local retailer? They want $609.00 for one!!!!!!!!! Any ideas? Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
imported post

The fuel filter can be purchased at www.hdlparts.com for WAAAAAAY less than that.

I think mine was $30 or $40 when I bought it last year

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

when the fuel system light comes on, check the computer under the rear case. there are lights on the left side of it that will help us diagnose what is going on with the system. DO NOT SHUT OFF THE BIKE FIRST, as this will clear the memory.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Just been through that! Check BOTH the main fuses. There is one in front and one in the back. PO had taken the dog bone fuse out of the back and put a inline 30 amp blade type fuse in. After about 5 hrs of testing relays, fuel pump and anything else I could find. I found the inline fuse holder was cracked. I changed both out with new holders, and haven't had a problem.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

If any lights come on when you turn on the key, then it would not be the main fuse (I think)... I had a similar issue with my LTD once. Intermittently the fuel light would not come on with the key. When that happened, the fuel system was not being presurized and thus no start. Switching out the relay that controls the fuel pump fixed the problem. HTH

JimC in NC (USA)

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

JimC wrote:
If any lights come on when you turn on the key, then it would not be the main fuse (I think)... I had a similar issue with my LTD once. Intermittently the fuel light would not come on with the key. When that happened, the fuel system was not being presurized and thus no start. Switching out the relay that controls the fuel pump fixed the problem. HTH JimC in NC (USA)
Agreed if it is the main fuse that is in the front of the silanoid (sp), there is another fuse on the back side of it, that is the one that was bad. All the lights would come on, bike would turn over like a champ, just no fuel system. I could NOT figure out what the problem was. Jumped the fuel pump and it was running. Tested the 4 and 5 relay, they were fine, but was not getting power when the ignition was turned on. Chased wiring down half the night, then read a post on another forum, checked the fuse by the battery, found the holder bad, changed it out and it worked. Hope his is that simple. alot cheaper than buying a fuel pump!

Oh! your bikes facing the wrong way in your avatar!:cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.